Northampton v Derby Co: Ratings

Half-marks allowed; please rate all subs. Closes Thursday @ 18:00. Results by Thursday 22:00. Average is 6.00. Therefore, when a sub steps on the pitch he is on 6 -that's the baseline. Also indicate ATG (at the game) Or Tv.

1Wildsmith

35Nelson

5Bradley

6Cashin

2Wilson

32Adams

12Smith

4Hourihane

17Sibley

20Elder

23Ward

10Waghorn

16Thompson

27Blackett-Taylor

11Méndez-Laing

14Washington 

13 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Half-marks allowed; please rate all subs. Closes Thursday @ 18:00. Results by Thursday 22:00. Average is 6.00. Therefore, when a sub steps on the pitch he is on 6 -that's the baseline. Also indicate ATG (at the game) Or Tv.

1Wildsmith 6

35Nelson 6

5Bradley 4

6Cashin 6

2Wilson 6

32Adams 5.5

12Smith 6

4Hourihane 5.5

17Sibley 5

20Elder 6

23Ward 6.5

10Waghorn 5.5

16Thompson 5

27Blackett-Taylor 5.5

11Méndez-Laing 6

14Washington 5

TV

1Wildsmith 6

35Nelson 6

5Bradley 4

6Cashin 6

2Wilson 6.5

32Adams 5.5

12Smith 5

4Hourihane 5

17Sibley 5

20Elder 6

23Ward 6

10Waghorn 3

16Thompson 5

27Blackett-Taylor 6

11Méndez-Laing 5

14Washington 4

Just realised I haven’t given anyone even a seven. That type of game.

1Wildsmith.....not much to do.....was alert to deal with an underhit header back to him..... 6.5

35Nelson.....he'll do for me.....  7

5Bradley.....never easy on the eye but, one dicey header to Wildsmith apart, was steady.....banned for next three games presumably..... 6

6Cashin.....decent as always..... 6.5

2Wilson.....impressive first half but less impactful thereafter..... 7

32Adams.....missed a glorious chance and had another goalbound effort blocked. Not brilliant but always involved..... 7

12Smith.....a better option for me than Hourihane..... 6.5

4Hourihane.....didn't warrant the full 90 minutes.....not horrendous by any means but picked on name and reputation rather than form.....too immobile..... 6

17Sibley.....deservedly booked.....mishit shot should have earned an assist but Waghorn fluffed chance..... 6

20Elder.....no better or worse than Sibley..... 6

23Ward.....would get more joy with his crosses with Gayle or Collins up top.....beaten by Monthe but wisely didn't jump in to concede a penalty..... 6

10Waghorn.....couple of decent links of play, couple of missed chances - the first being a bad one..... 5.5

16Thompson.....steady without having much impact.....gives much needed legs in the middle..... 6

27Blackett-Taylor.....quick feet, neat control, got early crosses in.....best we've seen from him and may earn a start on Friday..... 6.5

11Méndez-Laing.....couple of lovely dribbles but not quite on it still it seems.....4-3-3 vs Blackpool with him and CBT out wide and given license to run riot maybe?..... 6.5

14Washington.....looked alright but needs minutes..... 6

RTV

1Wildsmith…..6.5 largely a spectator again. No chance with the goal

35Nelson…..6 looked a bit shakier than usual under the high ball. Did OK

5Bradley…..4.5 poor for their goal, edgy on the ball and utterly unprofessional with the red card, knowing that Fozzy is injured 

6Cashin….6.5…..did OK, tried to make things happen

2Wilson….6.5...played well first half

32Adams……5….missed that sitter and thought he had a poor game overall 

12Smith……6…..tidy enough

4Hourihane…..5.5….haters will hate him but offered a lot more than Adam’s today. Should play in a 3 though 

17Sibley….5….not a lot happened for him today

20Elder…6….OK

23Ward….6…Ok

10Waghorn…..5…missed a good chance and offered very little 

16Thompson…..5…played out of position and did little 

27Blackett-Taylor…6….did OK and made a few things happen 

11Méndez-Laing….6.5….lively….will be a big miss

14Washington…..6…..looked better than Waggy to me. I’d start him on Friday if Collo not fit

Wrong formation imo and too many players off colour. 

1Wildsmith 6

35Nelson 6

5Bradley 3

6Cashin 5

2Wilson 6

32Adams 5

12Smith 4

4Hourihane 5

17Sibley 5

20Elder 6

23Ward 6

10Waghorn 3

16Thompson 5

27Blackett-Taylor 6

11Méndez-Laing 4

14Washington 4

For the remainder of the season we must try to pass the ball to our own team. This nonsense of pumping the ball down the line to the waiting opposition is painful to watch and probably painful to play. Very frustrating.

ATG.

1Wildsmith                5.5   Did nothing wrong but looked shaky right from the off.

35Nelson                  5.5   Not his usual self today

5Bradley                   4.5   Still seemed concussed to me. Really shaky. Idiotic sending off in the last minute.

6Cashin                     5.5  Like Nelson just not his usual dominating self.

2Wilson                     5     Seems more effective as a last 30 minute substitute.

32Adams                  5.5  Yet another player who tried but something just not there today. Should have scored.

12Smith                     5     Steady but ineffective.

4Hourihane               4     Very pedestrian and added little in midfield. Should have been subbed instead of Adams.

17Sibley                     5     Started ok. Made chance for Waghorn but faded badly especially after booking.

20Elder                      5.5   Steady but not effective.

23Ward                      6      Thought he was the best of the Subs and put in some good crosses. Should have started.

10Waghorn                5      Should have scored early on. Tried without any impact.

16Thompson             4.5    Usual energy but no influence at all on the game.

27Blackett-Taylor     5.5    Need more from him

11Méndez-Laing       5       Not his day. Disaster though if he is now injured for any length of time.

14Washington           5.5      Seemed quite lively after a long lay off but no service.

What an opportunity missed against a poor Northampton side who lacked first choice players and were on a bad run of form. A complete no show from the players ( was it the pitch, the wind, the movement of the ball seemed different?) and questionable tactics from the Manager. (what were they ??). Very disappointing.

1Wildsmith 5.5

35Nelson 6

5Bradley 3

6Cashin 6

2Wilson 6

32Adams 5

12Smith 5

4Hourihane 4

17Sibley 5.5

20Elder 6

23Ward 6

10Waghorn 4

16Thompson 5

27Blackett-Taylor 5.5

11Méndez-Laing 5

14Washington 4.5

on Rams TV on phone so not sure if small screen made them seem better or worse!

1Wildsmith 6.0 - Quietly effective but with no chance for the goal. He'll have busier days in winning sides, I'm sure.

35Nelson 6.5 - Gets a nosebleed in the opponents area, but that small gripe aside, he's been mr dependable. One of a small number who emerge with any credit from today's game.

5Bradley 4.0 - WTF was that son? I hate the pile-ons, but you've made your own bed there, I'm afraid. You let everyone down today, not because you were poor, which you were, but because your selfish act of petulance could end up costing us dear. I've tried to be supportive, but at a time when we're struggling to get 11 fit players on the pitch, that was as bad as it gets. 

6Cashin 6.5 - I lost count of how many times you challenged for headers during the aerial bombardment, but it seemed like a lot.  In fact in what was a pretty grim exhibition of s******** football, you really didn't deserve to be on the losing side. Sadly, your courage and determination is not matched by some of your colleagues. 

2Wilson 6.5 - Looked back to close to his lively best at times, in a game played at a furious pace. I didn't witness much football being played, but Kane was one of the few who at least tried to play his game.

32Adams 6.0 - Struggled manfully again, but this was a first mediocre showing from Ebou. We are asking too much of him and he's carrying other players as well as his own considerable workload. Should have scored today.

12Smith 6.0 - Had to start today IMO. By the time he arrived on the pitch, the kick tennis and shithousery were already at stratospheric levels. For the love of god, just give this lad a run of games.

4Hourihane 4.5 - What was his role yesterday? I don't really know what to say, because he actually did nothing at all and was out-battled, out-muscled and out-run all over the park.

17Sibley 5.5 - Fashioned a chance, but was otherwise poor today. The early booking, whilst not matching Bradley's idiocy, was not far behind and after that he was thoroughly ineffective.

20Elder 6.0 - Did ok, but was another to join the fray at a time where the team seemed to be suffering some sort of collective psychosis. I don't think we've seen anything like the best of him, but then, when will we?

23Ward 6.5 - Another who would have started for me, but what do I know? Another sub thrown in the melting pot, but did at least create some jeopardy for their defence.

10Waghorn 4.5 - Looks way of the pace right now. Blazed over when just putting it on target looked easier, this was an ineffective and sub-par performance.

16Thompson 5.5 - Gets some credit for his efforts, but this was an out of character performance for a young player with decent technical ability. Must try to play calmly, even if the 'senior pros' around him have lost their heads completely.

27Blackett-Taylor 6.5 - Signs of promise again, but he must surely be capable of playing more than 30 minutes. We could really use a match winning performance from him soon.

11Méndez-Laing 5.5 - Willing as always, but without Gayle pulling the back 4 around, or Collo just battering them, he's become relatively easy to nullify. He has to play alongside a proper 9 and whilst we have several, none are remotely match sharp. And now he's injured too.

14Washington 5.5 - Barely noticed him. Gets the median -0.5 points for the loss.

WarneWatch - Haven't been entirely convinced the last couple to be fair, but it's a results business, or so they tell me. I think we got entirely the wrong team playing the wrong way today. We got sucked into a frenetic game of kick-chase and we're just not very good at it, especially when we approach such games with Hourihane starting. I don't really understand the thinking, so it's lucky really that the players were so poor too, otherwise I'd probably be a deal harsher. Understand that we've got a significant injury list, but good sides find a way. As it is, it's s*** or get off the pot time now, for Warne and the players. 

RamsTV

I've adjusted my initial thoughts to make allowance for the stiff breeze and the bobbly yet bouncy pitch, which made controlling and passing the ball against a team playing kick, chase and writhe in agony not only difficult but unwise.

1Wildsmith.  6.5.  Some communication issues but in reality had little to do.

35Nelson.  6.5 Was the only defender who was largely unruffled but went AWOL for the goal.

5Bradley.  4. Not the sole culprit for the goal nor for the defeat, but if you're going to chin someone and get straight red, FFS make it count.

6Cashin.  6. Struggled with the pitch and with Northampton's tactics at times, but largely defended well. Caught in noman's land for the goal though.

2Wilson.  7.  Made the mistake of not writhing in agony after being bodychecked before the goal, but did his best to create chances all game.

32Adams.  5.5.  A bit of a sobering game for Ebou. Missed a good chance and struggled with the pitch at times. He'll bounce back though.

12Smith.  6.  Should have started. Came on too late to have a big impact this time.

4Hourihane. 5. Shouldn't have started in this type of game and had precisely the impact I expected.

17Sibley.  5.5. Struggled for impact this week and didn't track Hoskins for their goal.

20Elder.  6.  Looked a bit more comfortable than Sibbo and perhaps he should have started.

23Ward.  6. A few decent crosses and corners but no magic this week. Hope he's fit enough to start v Blackpool.

10Waghorn.  5. A fit and firing Waghorn would have buried that chance. Struggled against the big units at the back.

16Thompson.  6. Unusually wasteful with the ball at times. Experiment with him in an advanced role failed.

27Blackett-Taylor. 6.5.  Applied some pressure and looked livelier. Should start v Blackpool but will he?

11Méndez-Laing. 6. Has looked below his best for a couple of games now and perhaps his injury was always coming if he continued playing, but it's a major blow.

14Washington  5.5.  Shot blocked from close in was his only real involvement, but after so long out it was a tough situation to come on to. 

RamsTV

1Wildsmith.  6  little to do

35Nelson.  6.5 Steady as normal 

5Bradley.  3.  Pity Fozzy wasn’t fit, could work in our favour him being banned

6Cashin.  6. Not great but not at fault either 

2Wilson.  6.5  Was he fouled before the goal 🤔

32Adams.  5.5.  Not great yesterday but still didn’t think he should of been subbed

12Smith.  6.  Should have started. 

4Hourihane. 3. In my opinion he’s a spent force, can’t believe he started

17Sibley.  5.5. Struggled yesterday and should of done better for there goal 

20Elder.  6.  Will probably come in for Sibs in a back four

23Ward.  6. Not his best performance, but a better option than Wilson in a back four

10Waghorn.  5. Doesn’t look fit to me, half the player he used to be

16Thompson.  5.5  struggled like everyone else

27Blackett-Taylor. 6.  Time for him to start and show his true worth especially with NML injured

11Méndez-Laing. 6. Not at his best recently 

14Washington  6. Looked lively after such a long time out

On 23/03/2024 at 17:25, Ellafella said:

1Wildsmith 7.5

35Nelson 6.5

5Bradley 4.5 

6Cashin 6.5

2Wilson 7 MOM 😬

32Adams 6 

12Smith 6.5 

4Hourihane 5.5 

17Sibley 5.5

20Elder 6 

23Ward 6.5 

10Waghorn 4.5

16Thompson 6 

27Blackett-Taylor 6.5

11Méndez-Laing 6

14Washington 6

TV 

On 23/03/2024 at 17:25, Ellafella said:

1Wildsmith 6

35Nelson 6.5

5Bradley 5.5

6Cashin 6.5

2Wilson 6

32Adams 5

12Smith 6

4Hourihane 5.5

17Sibley 5.5

20Elder 6

23Ward 5.5

10Waghorn 4

16Thompson 5

27Blackett-Taylor 6

11Méndez-Laing 5.5

14Washington  5.5

atg

1Wildsmith 6 Nothing to do but pick the ball out of the net. Struggled kicking both into and with the wind.

35Nelson 7 Steady.

5Bradley 4 Looked uncomfortable from the start, mis-controlling ball, trying to avoid heading it. Was he even fit to start? Definitely not fit at the finish. Plonker!

6Cashin 7 Steady

2Wilson 7.5 Looked to create. Feel bad that the goal came from him being robbed of the ball, however it should have been a foul.

32Adams 6 Worked very hard (he had to) but also struggled with the ball on this pitch. Missed a good chance.

12Smith 6 Felt for Smith as he has been playing well. By the time he came on the whole team was jumpy and had lost shape. 

4Hourihane 5 Didn't look interested for first 25 minutes then put in a bit of effort. I thought Bird was the sideways and backwards merchant? Watch Hourihane back and he gave a masterclass.

17Sibley 5.5 Thought he was doing okay until he got booked. Created Waggy's chance. Should have been moved further forward when Elder came on as he wasn't the worst player on the pitch.

20Elder 6 Did okay.

23Ward 6.5 Lively when he came on, good crosses but by then we'd lost all confidence to get on the end of them. Obviously not fully fit.

10Waghorn 5 Deary me, Waggy. Got to do the simple things better, Lacked pace, didn't hold up the ball and as for that miss!

16Thompson 6 I thought Tommo was bright when he had got hold of the game. Looked to be positive and created runs inside. Needed more players on his wavelength.

27Blackett-Taylor 6.5 Played well when he came on, though his best game in a Derby shirt so far. He has more about him than we've seen so far.

11Méndez-Laing 6 Looked tired and a bit frustrated playing inside. Not much room for him to get out wide. 

14Washington 5 I only noticed him because he kept getting flagged offside. His fault or ours for being too slow with the pass? We don't play that way so we aren't very good at it. 

Warne - down to the bare bones, I think there were several players carrying knocks and a little unwilling to risk getting more. That suited a high-pressing, physical Northampton team down to the ground (or should I say pitch - it was dreadful!) Ref was too. Throw in the swirling wind and it was a perfect recipe for a dismal defeat that felt worse because we expected so much more. Warne could have at least tried keep those few energetic players we have got on the pitch but his substitutions and the second half shape seemed totally random to me. 

ATG