Joe Wildsmith - signed for WBA

Bob Gnarly

5 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Bit of noise on the app formerly known as Twitter that Barnsley are looking.

Still gutted he didn't stay with us, would be a good signing for any league 1 club.

I thought there were rumours of Premier League interest in him? Although that could have been his agent.

7 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Bit of noise on the app formerly known as Twitter that Barnsley are looking.

A very bizarre situation, I thought he’d get a championship team easily but there’s plenty of good goalkeepers on the market so perhaps he’s being left in the lurch a little bit. Barnsley aren’t a club in a great state, either, the fans and ownership are at odds and they will do very well to get in the playoffs next season.

Seems like he's thrown his Teddy in the corner. I have no problem with players moving for a better club etc ... but for no reason at all always (to me) seems odd...you'd have thought he'd have got somewhere new by now...

33 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

I thought for sure he's had a good offer from somewhere but it seems not, strange one. Maybe we decided not to offer?

He was offered a deal but it didn’t meet his own valuation of himself, I half expected him to return to Sheffield Wednesday which I would have understood but if he ended up at Barnsley it would look like a mistake on his part.

3 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

He was offered a deal but it didn’t meet his own valuation of himself, I half expected him to return to Sheffield Wednesday which I would have understood but if he ended up at Barnsley it would look like a mistake on his part.

His agent probably told him he could get him a good move, if he ends up at Barnsley in L1 he's going to look silly.

Didn't Warne also say something along the lines of he wouldn't be guaranteed number 1 and he's always looking to upgrade players in every position?

I know players shouldn't always expect to be 1st choice but maybe he thought he could go somewhere and be pretty much nailed on for a start on the same money.

He's a good keeper, particularly at league one level and at a good age. Could always be about game time not money.

38 minutes ago, samtheram83 said:

Didn't Warne also say something along the lines of he wouldn't be guaranteed number 1 and he's always looking to upgrade players in every position?

I know players shouldn't always expect to be 1st choice but maybe he thought he could go somewhere and be pretty much nailed on for a start on the same money.

He's a good keeper, particularly at league one level and at a good age. Could always be about game time not money.

Derby have had some weird s*** going on with goalies starting with Carson going to sit on Man city's bench for a million in loan fees, which we gave them back to cover his wages.  Still their, but rumours that Howard Carter has recently found him entombed  and you can find his gloves in the British Museum. Then we had Allsopp who was like Willy Fogg with clubs and turned down a new contract after getting a first team place.  A mythical goalie from Forest Green Rovers turned having refused a two year deal then never came back. Wildsmith gets a place and promotion having spent 7 years in solitary confinement at Wednesday then leaves without a club to go to seemingly.  Finally we have the lesser spotted Vickers, who we assumed was the new No 1 but only got 3 games then disappeared back to the bench. 

It's Kevin Poole isn't it. I know it. 

22 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

I thought for sure he's had a good offer from somewhere but it seems not, strange one. Maybe we decided not to offer?

I think it was clear to see the body language between Warne and Wildsmith had been off for a few months.

I think this is a straightforward case of not getting on with your manager. I have certainly been in that position before and quit a job without something to go to.

4 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

I think it was clear to see the body language between Warne and Wildsmith had been off for a few months.

I think this is a straightforward case of not getting on with your manager. I have certainly been in that position before and quit a job without something to go to.

Keep seeing people say this yet the only tangible evidence we have is Warne literally leaping into his arms after a game, which I personally would never do nor accept with someone I am not getting on with. 

I think Wildsmith was unlikely to be number one as it's a position Warne and his team have clearly identified as needing improvement. Wildsmith was generally good, but had his mad lapses of judgement that cost us at times last season. To his credit, having spent so much of his (short) career as an understudy, he wants to play. I think he should be applauded for that, whether Barnsley or elsewhere. I'd suggest all the options we've been linked with, will likely be better keepers.

It's an odd career being a goalkeeper. If you're a back-up one, you're getting paid but rarely playing.

Depends if you'd rather have a pay rise or a regular game. Perhaps he chose the former.

Pure speculation but can only think he valued himself more than what we were offering. Probably expected another club to match him with his demands. 

Only offers he got was League 1 or clubs not willing to match his money. WBA probably have given him his agreed wage but he comes in as a number 2.

A bit odd, but no hard feelings from me regards his future.