Match Thread: vs Reading (H)

1 hour ago, Loughborough Ram said:

Dwight Gayle should be as fresh as a daisy. If he is your first choice number 9, he should play.

With so few games left, every result matters, so you play your best team unless injury or suspension says otherwise

But he is 35 and didn’t play for weeks, 3 games in a week might be too much…

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

But he is 35 and didn’t play for weeks, 3 games in a week might be too much…

I prefer "he is ONLY 35". Manage his training if you have to but games is what it's all about at this stage. He's started the last 2 or 3 games and as Spalding says, he'll be absolutely flying having scored a couple of goals.

26 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

I prefer "he is ONLY 35". Manage his training if you have to but games is what it's all about at this stage. He's started the last 2 or 3 games and as Spalding says, he'll be absolutely flying having scored a couple of goals.

Let’s hope he doesn’t get injured then. Be interesting to see what Warne opts to do.

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Let’s hope he doesn’t get injured then. Be interesting to see what Warne opts to do.

I feel Warne has tipped his cap in his post match interview on Saturday. Paraphrasing, but he said there's 18 halves of football and the lads need to gas out in every one. I agree, to be fair. Ride it to the wheels fall off.

6 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Surely there is no chance of resting “a few” players especially with Bird already being out. We need to keep up the winning momentum and, I know PW gets flak from some on this forum for publicly showing respect to the opposition, we can’t take this game for granted.

Agreed, hence why I said that I'd urge against making too many changes. 

53 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Let's hope he doesn't get injured in the first minute against Bolton if we save him! 

You can't plan to avoid injuries, in my opinion, or your best players would never play.

Warne will do what he will do, and whichever way he goes he will be criticised by some of the fans if it doesn't work but in my opinion, sitting in second place, with a good chance of winning the league, with 9 games to go, you have to be all in for every game.

10 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

Let's hope he doesn't get injured in the first minute against Bolton if we save him! 

You can't plan to avoid injuries, in my opinion, or your best players would never play.

Warne will do what he will do, and whichever way he goes he will be criticised by some of the fans if it doesn't work but in my opinion, sitting in second place, with a good chance of winning the league, with 9 games to go, you have to be all in for every game.

Ay up Loughie, you know "some of the fans" will criticise him even if it does work ...

2 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Ay up Loughie, you know "some of the fans" will criticise him even if it does work ...

Ey up Amster, keeping well i hope. I was trying not to be too antagonistic to be honest. 

There are too many threads on here that degenerate into a Warne hating/loving mess, where neither side is willing to concede an inch.

Sometimes it's nice to discuss the football, after all if you can't enjoy being second with 9 games to go then I think that footballs probably not for you. 

23 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

I was suggesting that playing 3 games in 7 days might increase his chance of an injury…..anyone can get an injury at anytime in general terms…anyway, we can wait and see….

1 hour ago, Loughborough Ram said:

Ey up Amster, keeping well i hope. I was trying not to be too antagonistic to be honest. 

There are too many threads on here that degenerate into a Warne hating/loving mess, where neither side is willing to concede an inch.

Sometimes it's nice to discuss the football, after all if you can't enjoy being second with 9 games to go then I think that footballs probably not for you. 

Very well ta Loughie, Flying in tomorrow morning with my 2, now all growed up, lads till Sunday. 2 games, visit friends and family and having way too much to eat and drink as one does. You are in fine fettle too I trust...

30 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Very well ta Loughie, Flying in tomorrow morning with my 2, now all growed up, lads till Sunday. 2 games, visit friends and family and having way too much to eat and drink as one does. You are in fine fettle too I trust...

Are you having a tipple or two before the match, Ammy?

Would be disappointed if it wasn't an unchanged side - lots of positivity about the line up so makes no sense to change it unless we're forced into it by injury. Warne is also the least likely Derby manager in recent times to change a winning team so strongly suspect we will be unchanged.

Reading are not to be taken lightly given the quality they have (and that the EFL continually wave through for them to 'buy' despite their ongoing financial incontinence) - they're also not clear of relegation yet & probably fear another points deduction before the season is out, so will be highly motivated.

It will be a tightly fought contest & I would like to see us dominate the ball throughout like we did first half on Saturday but with a better final ball. Getting them chasing the ball will tire them out & also conserve our energy after Saturday's effort - definitely don't want to see us camped in our own half looking to hit them on the break. Lots of quality options off the bench if the game is finely poised after 60/70 mins - any sign of fatigue from Saturday's exertions & we have to be proactive with getting subs on the park.

18 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Ticket sales for this one are very slow with the big game on Saturday, fans are sitting this one out.

Still 4,393 tickets left.

Very disappointing, with only 5 home games left . Most of our income comes from ticket sales and almost a £1 million a year rent to pay on PP. I know everyone is skint but Clowes must wonder how he is going to raise cash for players next season.

Only change I would consider is Smith for Hourihane but I think you've got to go unchanged and build on the recent victories. 

Two ways this could go...

Game scenario 1

I would want us to look to get on the ball, dominate possession and push for an early goal. That will really get the fans onside and we would then want to keep that momentum to kill the game off as early as possible. Let's say 4 up at half time and sensible substitutions to rest key players for Saturday.

Game scenario 2

I've watched us for so many years now, what I actually expect is for us to huff and puff with little end result for 60 minutes, concede a goal from a counter attack and then another late on as we push for the equaliser. That sound as the opposition fans celebrate as the quiet click of seats flipping up as the stands empty is forever etched in my memory...

Scenario 1 please chaps...