Match Thread: vs Port Vale (H)

Rampant

Did the job today against a Port Vale side that looked condemned. Flat 2 in midfield communicated well enough and wingbacks used the ball well which is crucial in that formation. You'd be a fool to think we will have that amount of time and space on the ball today in any of the other 10 games left. We have a much much harder task against a very bipolar Bristol Rovers next week. We're in it to win it!

Edited by eddielewis

Port Vale were poor but could easily have been a banana skin given our previous performances. 

Gayle took his goal nicely, wonder who’ll start when Waghorn is fully fit?

20 minutes ago, Srg said:

Still don’t particularly like this back three. Bradley is slow and ponderous, Nelson isn’t vastly better either. Means we play at such a laborious pace most of the time.

Today was better because the space that was in the wide areas was occupied by Sibley and Ward who are good enough going forward to use it. That hasn’t been the case for awhile with Elder, Nyambe and (shudder) left back Cashin. You can’t really play a back 3 and then two wing backs who are also bad on the ball. 

Agree about Nelson, he looks a lot more exposed on the ball playing in a three. Cashin always looks a lot better in a back four as well. But feels like he is insistent on his persevering with the back three.

actual attacking wing backs helped so much though, stayed high and keeps us up the pitch

Aside from a 10-15 minute spell following their fake keeper injury time-out in the first half when we seemed to go into stasis and a wobbly 5 minutes from Bradley towards the end of normal time, I thought it was a competent and comfortable win with 3 well crafted and executed goals (albeit the first required kindly ricochets). Hard to pick netween Sibbo and Ward for MotM, both excellent, and again I thought Gayle's movement was very good. His goal was a great move all-round and the finish was a real strikers finish. He knows where to run and if the rest of the team can spot his runs and deliver a ball like Adams did today, he'll score plenty. Apart from the periods mentioned above, I thought everyone else acquited themselves well and CBT should have had an assist to his name but for a mix-up between Waggy and another player I didn't tag.

Obviously essential that we won, not least because all of our rivals also did. This week's game between Bolton and Barnsley will possibly tell us who our main rival for 2nd will be. I will also note that PV were generally poor and their position suits them.

I heard Warne's interview afterwards and i thought he got it spot on regarding areas to improve.

Crowd excellent again, particularly 2nd half. COYR!

Edited by Crewton

10 minutes ago, Artram said:

Port Vale were poor but could easily have been a banana skin given our previous performances. 

Be nice seeing Gayle play with a strike partner. 

1 hour ago, EraniosSocks said:

Bet your fun at parties 

This is an example of why you don't get invited to parties:

EraniosSocks: "That new Noel Gallagher and Jon Squire song is rubbish. Noel's singing is terrible on it."

Guest: "It's actually Liam Gallager, not Noel."

ES: "Ok, John Peel"

1 hour ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Great 3 points against a poor Vale side but we can only beat what they put in front of us. My only real moan is the way we sat back again when 1 nil up 😡

just hope Warne sticks with this line up and formation (injuries allowing) now till the end of the season 👍 Gayle finished well too so all good 😊 

Agreed. PV were all over the place at the back and ripe for tilling over, but we let them off the hook until the excellent work down the right and great finish by Gayle. Then again we didn’t really come out again after half-time. We really could’ve and should’ve had a hat full but a win is a win. 

15 minutes ago, Artram said:

Not Waghorn. Not sure we have 6 months to get him fit 😂 

1 hour ago, LazloW said:

Terribly unsporting of all the other top 6 to win but I knew my absence would at least mean 3 easy points (by the sounds of it).

You and me @LazloW

I was on emergency grandaughter sitting duty. 

i think people owe us a serious debt for breaking the losing run with our unselfish sacrifice. 

19 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

Agreed. PV were all over the place at the back and ripe for tilling over, but we let them off the hook until the excellent work down the right and great finish by Gayle. Then again we didn’t really come out again after half-time. We really could’ve and should’ve had a hat full but a win is a win. 

TURNING!!

Excellent performance today throughout the team and Warner got the tactics and team set up spot on I thought.

Sibley and ward were superb and ward deserved the mom,he looked just like the player we initially thought we were getting.

And for Gayle to score a proper strikers goal with a beautiful header was the icing on the cake.

Another shout out to Bradley who,I thought,was immense today and barely put a foot wrong.To be honest,I much prefer him as captain,it just suits his character.

So a very good turnaround from Tuesday's performance and it was an enjoyable watch...I even had a half decent cheeseburger from outside the ground,so all in all a top day.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

58 minutes ago, Srg said:

Still don’t particularly like this back three. Bradley is slow and ponderous, Nelson isn’t vastly better either. Means we play at such a laborious pace most of the time.

Today was better because the space that was in the wide areas was occupied by Sibley and Ward who are good enough going forward to use it. That hasn’t been the case for awhile with Elder, Nyambe and (shudder) left back Cashin. You can’t really play a back 3 and then two wing backs who are also bad on the ball. 

I thought Nels was fairly sluggish all afternoon. Probably his least effective game for us.