v Charlton Athletic (H) Match Day Thread

Kernow

56 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I’ve given up trying to understand it or argue with it. My only complaint really is it spoils my enjoyment of the forum. I come on the matchday thread to talk about the game with other fans, and while I appreciate Warne is a big part of that, the strong feelings some have against him take over everything and there’s then no chance to discuss anything else. 

I think its to be expected tonight after that really. I never thought I'd say it but boy are we missing Collins all over the pitch. There were some nice touches from Gayle though 

Started brightly, got the goal. The game became somewhat of a mess after that, compounded by Wildsmith being an absolute f****** idiot. Lost a tight game mostly down to poor decision-making at crucial times. 

In the grand scheme of things, we are a pretty f****** dreadful football team but that goes for every team in this league.

Promotion would be great, but I have no faith in the club to make any great success of it. We simply get away with it in this league because we’re able to pay three or four times the wages of other teams. When we’re financially competing with others, notably financially outmatched by others, there’s nothing I’ve seen from the club that shows we can exceed expectations. 

34 minutes ago, MickD said:

We had a back 4 today. 🙄

Yep PW is quite happy to put our best CH in Cashin out wide on the left, When he could have played Sibley there and left Bradley on the bench, In his pre match interview he said bringing fresh faces in is to give them game time, On a personal note I don't think PW knows what his best team is...he's become "Tinkerman Two" who hasn't a clue 😉

1 minute ago, CBRammette said:

I think its to be expected tonight after that really. I never thought I'd say it but boy are we missing Collins all over the pitch. There were some nice touches from Gayle though 

We miss Collins for sure, we can’t seem to get everyone fit at once either, losing Nyambe will be a blow and Elder keeps threatening to show what a good player he could be for us then gets injured.
I’m not trying to censor the conversation on Warne, I’m not stupid or naive enough to think he won’t be discussed after the last two games, I just think there’s more to it than solely blaming Warne when it’s bad and praising the players when it’s good. He got some things right tonight and he got a lot wrong, but I genuinely don’t blame Warne for Wildsmith’s rash challenge to concede the pen, but others seemingly do. Even with the change in shape, Wildsmith doesn’t have to make that challenge. It’s just hard to discuss the detail of game with an attempt at objectivity when some people are so intent in slating Warne.

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Started brightly, got the goal. The game became somewhat of a mess after that, compounded by Wildsmith being an absolute f****** idiot. Lost a tight game mostly down to poor decision-making at crucial times. 

In the grand scheme of things, we are a pretty f****** dreadful football team but that goes for every team in this league.

Promotion would be great, but I have no faith in the club to make any great success of it. We simply get away with it in this league because we’re able to pay three or four times the wages of other teams. When we’re financially competing with others, notably financially outmatched by others, there’s nothing I’ve seen from the club that shows we can exceed expectations. 

Hard to argue with you . On the way home Warne said “We haven’t played well all season “. Two teams tonight letting the goalies - hoof the ball back and forth . But forget worrying about Bolton , because Barnsley have the momentum.

Just now, jimtastic56 said:

Hard to argue with you . On the way home Warne said “We haven’t played well all season “. Two teams tonight letting the goalies - hoof the ball back and forth . But forget worrying about Bolton , because Barnsley have the momentum.

He actually said we haven’t played well all season? 

Not heard the interview with Warne, but did he really say we hadn’t played well all season? I’m not sure I’d disagree with him (although there must have been a few decent, albeit probably ‘functionally good’ performances) but seems an odd thing for a manager to say.  Did he take responsibility for that? Did he give any reasons for why it might be the case? All very odd. 

Edited by LazloW

I can’t put in to words how bad that was.

I’d say we have the best squad in the league on paper, but they’re playing at their absolute worst.

Appreciate Charlton have a decent squad, but they hadn’t won in 19 games. Low on confidence and should have been a comfortable 3 points.

Obviously Warne is going nowhere soon, but we are not moving forward as a football club. We should be looking for a young coach that can help develop our younger players with a good style of football as Warne is not the long term answer.

5 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

We miss Collins for sure, we can’t seem to get everyone fit at once either, losing Nyambe will be a blow and Elder keeps threatening to show what a good player he could be for us then gets injured.
I’m not trying to censor the conversation on Warne, I’m not stupid or naive enough to think he won’t be discussed after the last two games, I just think there’s more to it than solely blaming Warne when it’s bad and praising the players when it’s good. He got some things right tonight and he got a lot wrong, but I genuinely don’t blame Warne for Wildsmith’s rash challenge to concede the pen, but others seemingly do. Even with the change in shape, Wildsmith doesn’t have to make that challenge. It’s just hard to discuss the detail of game with an attempt at objectivity when some people are so intent in slating Warne.

You are right its not Warne's fault for example that none of our players seemed to get the ball to another Derby player from a throw in. Or pick out a white shirt or make a correct decision 

3 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Not heard the interview with Warne, but did he really say we hadn’t played well all season? I’m not sure I’d disagree with him (although there must have been a few decent, albeit probably ‘functionally good’ performances) but seems an odd thing for a manager to say.  Did he take responsibility for that? Did he give any reasons for why it might be the case? All very odd. 

I can’t remember him saying that as I was still trying to recover from what I’d just witnessed, but I do remember him saying that the first 20 minutes today was the best we’ve played this season…which sums up how bad the football has been this season. 

Edited by Mckram

44 minutes ago, PhilGeeWasMyIdol said:

What is all this about a good first half. Terrible first half, just by chance we happened to score. Good football in the first 7 minutes without creating a chance does not make a good half. Also I would expect to be 1-0 up at HT against the most out of form team in the division, the first half was far from good.

It's talked up because there's so much dross played with a decent squad. What we needed on the pitch today was another wide player and a change of formation. 😄

4 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

You've quoted him jim so he must have said it, He's now admitted what the majority have been saying most of the season, For our Manager to say this shows he's now struggling to come out with any positives from a squad that's his, It's his tactics, His team talks, His coaching and his team selection...over to you Mr Warne

Awful result. Awful performance. Awful starting line up.

This result has been coming for a while. We simply do not create enough chamces/shots on target & the appalling ball retention is to blame. I'm gobsmacked some folk thought we played well first half...we really didn't. It was a series of aimless hoofs & misplaced passes, Charlton played much the better stuff. We look to have regressed technically & its a concern.

Still can't believe how few attack minded players we started with tonight. The blunt reality is Kane Wilson isn't very effective in the final 3rd so when it was apparent Mendez-Laing was having a quiet game, our attacking threat was reduced to very little. We are 2nd in the table & at home..we should be looking to dominate a team 5th from bottom with their poor form. What happened to this so called 'gung ho' Warne style? Looks like reheated Billy Davies 'snatch & hold on for dear life' to me. Massive improvement needed from here.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

5 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Not heard the interview with Warne, but did he really say we hadn’t played well all season? I’m not sure I’d disagree with him, but seems an odd thing for a manager to say.  Did he take responsibility for that? Did he give any reasons for why it might be the case? All very odd. 

Yes he did say that but for further context he carried on by saying 'I've always said there is another gear we can get to' 

The most irritating bit from the interview was a facetious comment in the lines of 'we needed their keeper to take out one of our forwards'

Edited by eddielewis