Barnsley FC v Derby - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

Frustrating loss but there was very little between the sides. Wildsmith must have been wearing his boots on the wrong feet kicking was abysmal today. Back before the Charlton game when there was 16 games to go statistically teams that land in the top 2 on average won 10 drew 4 and lost 2 this is our first loss since then. We can allow another but we can't let this loss effect us too much. Keep the faith! 

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Here we go again. PW obviously told them to play poorly in the second half then?

We haven’t been a particularly great watch all season. I’ve not really blamed games on him this season but today for me he takes most of the flack. At half time you could see the back 3 was hindering us going forward. Easy change to make take Bradley off bring nyambe on and move Kane further forward and go 433. We didn’t even muster another shot on goal second half 

Barnsley were really up for this one. First half was good to watch, back and forth and both sides created chances. Panicked in the second half and the football became a hot potato of hoof and "av it". Not a big concern thanks to Bolton losing. I have seen a lot worse under Warne. 

He tried to keep in solid, adding in another midfielder. Backfired unfortunately and it was too late at the end.

3 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

We haven’t been a particularly great watch all season. I’ve not really blamed games on him this season but today for me he takes most of the flack. At half time you could see the back 3 was hindering us going forward. Easy change to make take Bradley off bring nyambe on and move Kane further forward and go 433. We didn’t even muster another shot on goal second half 

You see some lovely football in League One.

Said nobody, ever.

I’m as pro Warne as they come but the record of the season shows he has been out thought and fought in the games of those teams around us. Not played poorly per se but if you go over those games he’s got decisions wrong, personally for me today that was taking off Sibley who was causing problems and linking nicely with Cashin and Bird. We kept going wide and it was covered. 

It’s going to take a hell of a run of games with an unbeaten or even a strong winning streak. We are capable but there’s not enough evidence over a season to show that it’ll happen now.

Just now, Bob The Badger said:

Said nobody, ever.

I think Ipswich last season would have something to say to be honest. Although it's quite clear 90% of the football from all sides in this league is tragic.

Why oh why can we never take the game to teams like this, why are we always so on the back foot? We are second in the league; we should have gone to Oakwell full of confidence and swagger. Barnsley are the sum total of f*** all and yet we gave them too much respect. 

Its the Derby way every season, bottling the crunch games.

Just now, Bob The Badger said:

Said nobody, ever.

There’s some good teams that play good football. I’m not saying I want Derby to play exciting football I’d rather get out this league. What I am saying on this game and others the back 3 doesn’t work. Mendez is not a striker he’s way better out wide. Get a back 4 and move to a 433 

11 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

We're second in the division. Why don't we deserve it? That makes zero sense.

We're not very good, but CLEARLY, neither is the entire division.

You don't fluke your way to 20 wins out of 33 games.

Unless it's because we are the second least worst team in the division. We have the players to storm this league, but tactics far too often are hopeless, and one wonders what they don't the training ground all week because it clearly isn't "pass and move".

This must be the 5th or 6th time we have had a golden opportunity to make ground on the teams around us, and we have thrown it away. A good team wouldn't keep on doing that.

Despite my doubts, I have travelled a huge distance from the "Warne Out" position I held after the Stevenage match. But that nagging feeling remained, but was held firmly tied up in the corner. It has just burst the ropes that were holding it down like Samson before his haircut.

Edited by DavesaRam

1 minute ago, DavesaRam said:

Unless it's because we are the second least worst team in the division. We have the players to storm this league, but tactics far too often are hopeless, and one wonders what they don't the training ground all week because it clearly isn't "pass and move".

This must be the 5th or 6th time we have had a golden opportunity to make ground on the teams around us, and we have thrown it away. A good team wouldn't keep on doing that.

Despite my doubts, I have travelled a huge distance from the "Warne Out" position I held after the Stevenage match. But that nagging feeling remained, but was held firmly tied up in the corner. It has just burst the ropes that were holding it down.

Echo this. I’m not even warne out he’s got us into a marvellous position and he’s the right man. Unfortunately on this forum you can’t criticise the manager in any form although today I thought in game management and tactics played a huge part in this defeat 

16 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

FT 

A fully deserved defeat for our poor player performances and tactical approach.

Bit of a shambles really and nothing much positive other than Gayle getting some competitive minutes.

You can’t go into a promotion 6 pointer and not lay a glove on them. End of story!

Management and players need a long look in the mirror.

Unfortunately we let the mirror go out on loan.

Doesn't matter who we play week in week out the opposition move the ball much better than we do.  I know passing isn't the be all and end all but we make getting up the pitch look such hard work.  I just want to watch us get the ball down and play some nice football for once.  If you do that more often than not you will win.

So so disappointing! 1-0 and you’d back us to show the grit and determination to get a point at least. To loose it on a set piece will break Paul Warne’s heart. 

Bolton and Pompey to play, and plenty of twists and turns to come in the season. However, for me, if we are going up automatically, we are limping there rather than sprinting!