The match day feel good factor

Archied

15 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Maybe this forum struggles with people who just intended to make a simple observation, but write it in language that sounds highly critical?

Instead of:

"Theb were on it for 15 minutes before we scored. Deathly silent before then despite the myth that standing up and making noise go hand in hand"

How about...

"Theb were on it for 15 minutes before we scored. Was quieter than I expected it to be beforehand though. I was hopeful the safe standing would have increased the noise, but so far it doesn't seem to have made an impact"

Safe standing hasn’t affected the atmosphere because we all stood up all match anyway. All it has done is take up a load of space in front and behind each person.

1 hour ago, ossieram said:

Some of us were singing for the majority of the game. 

There’s a section of the south stand high up towards the away fans who seem more obsessed singing songs slagging other Derby fans off than they do supporting the team. It’s something that’s emerged this season.

Any slight lull and it’s “silence as usual”, “south stand’s a library’ or yesterday’s joy, “support your team or f-off home”. Been going on a few games now, finally other supporters started giving them some back and then an argument ensued.

So yesterday, as has been the way recently, the atmosphere in that stand hasn’t been good, made worse by some fans doing the old trick of “we’re better fans because we sing more” routine. It’s just arrogant and divisive, and for that matter wrong. Fortunately the team turned up second half just before it started getting ugly. 

Then in response to the manager’s excellent subs and shift in players, we got right on top of Stevenage, we played some good football, the supporters responded and the rest has been well covered in this thread regards the atmosphere. 

Edited by VulcanRam

8 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I mentioned the very same feelgood factor... and the atmosphere... in my first post in the matchday thread, after returning to my keyboard after the game.  It was most noticeable.  Particularly that last 30 mins.
I also mentioned "For the first time this season" and "Belief".  I stand by my observations.  

This was the beginning.  This will prove to be our turning point.  This was the game we'll be looking back on, come judgement day (Promotion, not death!  Ha Ha!)

Not just the SS, but all around... and not just when ordered to do so by the SS.  Even my NE corner was buzzing, and many more than a mere handful joined in for once!

My only disappointment was when the SS sang "Fatty, Fatty, What's the score?"
There were far too many around me making assumptions, and holding up their own fingers to signify a 1 and a 0, whilst looking around sheepishly!  They need to take a long hard look at themselves!  👀

😁🐏

Agree, good atmosphere on the north east corner today. Ayoung lad sits right behind us and he never stops singing and shouting every match.

I never leave a game early but I had to on Saturday. I was just crossing the road at the back of the North Stand when Sibley scored…..wow hearing the noise and the subsequent din from outside the ground was more impactful than being inside. Even heading along the riverside path it was incredibly loud. 

6 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

The guys in my row are elderly and rheumatic but they didn’t half leap up when that goal went in.

Bet they’re regretting it today.

IMG_1732.gif

The joys of the West Stand. Amazed they don't have stairlifts in the upper tier.

Hope I'm still going when I'm that old.

8 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

There’s a section of the south stand high up towards the away fans who seem more obsessed singing songs slagging other Derby fans off than they do supporting the team. It’s something that’s emerged this season.

Any slight lull and it’s “silence as usual”, “south stand’s a library’ or yesterday’s joy, “support your team or f-off home”. Been going on a few games now, finally other supporters started giving them some back and then an argument ensued.

So yesterday, as has been the way recently, the atmosphere in that stand hasn’t been good, made worse by some fans doing the old trick of “we’re better fans because we sing more” routine. It’s just arrogant and divisive, and for that matter wrong. Fortunately the team turned up second half just before it started getting ugly. 

Then in response to the manager’s excellent subs and shift in players, we got right on top of Stevenage, we played some good football, the supporters responded and the rest has been well covered in this thread regards the atmosphere. 

Well said @VulcanRam.

The D block have become a hindrance to the atmosphere in the southstand in my opinion.

We're all Derby aren't we?

13 hours ago, angieram said:

I think it cranked up when the Stevenage supporters started singing our earlier songs back at us sarcastically. 

For a group of fans with average 3-5,000 home gates they really are an incredibly arrogant lot.

Their fan who was on Radio Derby Friday evening struck me as a bit of a dick.

1 hour ago, oodledoodle said:

The joys of the West Stand. Amazed they don't have stairlifts in the upper tier.

Hope I'm still going when I'm that old.

There's actually allot of youngsters usually where I sit in West Upper, but they appear to all have severe prostate issues - up and down to the bog several times a match.

13 hours ago, Stockport Ram said:

I feel dirty, ashamed almost. 

I listened to the first half and thought that we were lucky to be 0-0 against Evans’ “non football” team. I felt it was a matter of time before we conceded. 

So I resorted to a good book that I’m  bang in the middle of and left Gillette Soccer Saturday on the screen with sound down low, as most of the in studio pundits bore me. Occasionally I’d glance up just in case it was the moment of the inevitable 0-1 scoreflash, but as 4.30 came and went, my hopes began to flicker that we’d hold on to a best case goalless scenario. 

Usually I give in about ten minutes into the second half and re tune to RD commentary but yesterday I didn’t feel an ounce of temptation. I know not why. “Oh, ye of little faith” springs to mind.

I’d gone to put the kettle on as the full times began to dribble through, and wandered back in, hoping to see us appear.

Then we did. 1-0. Louie Sibley (90).

You just can’t describe that feeling of totally unexpected joy. It’s like a bolt of lightning and the decibel level suddenly and completely involuntarily reached that of an AC/DC concert. Thank goodness SWMBO was out shopping.

The only player left in our entire squad who could produce a moment of magic, had done so. I didn’t even know he was on the pitch, as I’d tuned out before the subs.

Oh, this beautiful football club. 

It’s a Stockport thing friend. We have the edge over the Derbyshire Rams. 

9 hours ago, oodledoodle said:

The joys of the West Stand. Amazed they don't have stairlifts in the upper tier

They used to let some people use the Foyer lifts. My (Wife was on crutches for a while). Then they stopped it for "safety" reasons. A little bird told me the nobs in the boxes complained about having to wait for the lift.

17 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

It was the same at Exeter away in midweek.

I guess people feel shielded by being in a crowd, but some of the chants and behaviour was just completely unnecessary and I am not sure what people get out of it.

A bit of shock value, a bit of laughter, I guess.

People were more interested in baiting a steward than watching the game. I just don’t get it.

8 hours ago, Crewton said:

There's actually allot of youngsters usually where I sit in West Upper, but they appear to all have severe prostate issues - up and down to the bog several times a match.

Haha......

I'm up there too. I think the match got in the way of a few all-dayers on Saturday tbf.

Couple of blokes on our row turned up after 20 mins, cleared off for half time after 40, came back after 70 mins and celebrated more wildly than I've seen any fans celebrate in years at the final whistle.

There were some pay-per-game supporters (amongst the season ticket holders) who were super-positive, supportive and way more exuberant than average there on Saturday - hope they're back.

3 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

Second game this season that I wasn’t at or watched on RamsTV. In Tasmania, checked the score at 3:30am (I think). Match seemed to have nearly finished scoreless. Woke up to a win. Excellent. 

Same for those of us who were in the crowd!

On 18/02/2024 at 11:50, Stockport Ram said:

I feel dirty, ashamed almost. 

I listened to the first half and thought that we were lucky to be 0-0 against Evans’ “non football” team. I felt it was a matter of time before we conceded. 

So I resorted to a good book that I’m  bang in the middle of and left Gillette Soccer Saturday on the screen with sound down low, as most of the in studio pundits bore me. Occasionally I’d glance up just in case it was the moment of the inevitable 0-1 scoreflash, but as 4.30 came and went, my hopes began to flicker that we’d hold on to a best case goalless scenario. 

Usually I give in about ten minutes into the second half and re tune to RD commentary but yesterday I didn’t feel an ounce of temptation. I know not why. “Oh, ye of little faith” springs to mind.

I’d gone to put the kettle on as the full times began to dribble through, and wandered back in, hoping to see us appear.

Then we did. 1-0. Louie Sibley (90).

You just can’t describe that feeling of totally unexpected joy. It’s like a bolt of lightning and the decibel level suddenly and completely involuntarily reached that of an AC/DC concert. Thank goodness SWMBO was out shopping.

The only player left in our entire squad who could produce a moment of magic, had done so. I didn’t even know he was on the pitch, as I’d tuned out before the subs.

Oh, this beautiful football club. 

Post match it was teeming down but the walk back to the hotel do drop off my new "megastore" purchases was very enjoyable. 5 minutes later off to the Neppy and it had stopped raining. Cut through the Derbion and into the Shrine and we were hit with a wall of 80s music, beers bought, we found a table for two and sat down to chat and listen to the music. The 80s bit was followed by a lengthy Motown medley. Had a chat with my mate Tim and a few others. The Pedi flowed freely and went down very nicely, thank you. The best news is that I'm back in there 3 weeks tomorrow. Aint life grand? 

I feel for Sibs. Great talent stifled by never getting a run of games (other than 15 at left back last season) in a role in order to be able to progress.

11 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I'm in D block and don't join in with the chants at other Derby fans. 

I don't know which block are which tbh, all I know this was coming from up the top near the away fans segregation. I'm towards the top to the right of the goal (as you look at the pitch), but don't know which block I'm in.