Paul Warne

Day

2 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I keep making the same point... its a Derby forum.

Fans over-excitedly responding to say look how great we are is much less grating to me than people coming on after a defeat to keep exaggerating and sticking the knife in.

Anyhow, all been said before.

Great performance I think everyone has agreed.

It is a Derby forum, but I think fair debate is more interesting than a forum of purely happy clapping posts that don't reflect reality. Diversity of viewpoint makes the forum better. The constant need to "win" discussions brings it down. 

Edited by Andicis

Just now, Andicis said:

It is a Derby forum, but I think fair debate is more interesting than a forum of purely happy clapping posts that don't reflect reality. Diversity of viewpoint makes the forum better. The constant need to "win" discussions brings it down. 

I agree totally mate.

I'm talking the more extreme end of the views. Give me  @B4ev6isthan the alternative.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

People are by nature competitive. People want to look like they know better than everyone else.

The need to ‘win discussions’ is probably what drives 80-90% of forum content.

But it’s everywhere. Only yesterday I lost a bet because I tipped Plymouth to beat Stoke and my brother said it was down to my lack of football knowledge and that I should have listened to him.

If you are expecting things to change, you’ll be very disappointed.

I'll admit I wasn't expected that yesterday. Credit to Warne. That sort of game is him at his best. BC fell into his trap perfectly. I still stand by what I've previously said but I enjoyed the game which is all that matters. As long as I continue to enjoy games I'll gladly be wrong about Warne all along.

4 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

People are by nature competitive. People want to look like they know better than everyone else.

But it’s everywhere. Only yesterday I lost a bet because I tipped Plymouth to beat Stoke and my brother said it was down to my lack of football knowledge and that I should have listened to him.

Never said I was expecting things to change, just pointing out what I think makes this thread tedious. 

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The thing that's done most to kick off the recent arguments has been the unwillingness of some posters to cut Warne any slack as the team finds its feet in the division. Those particular posters have carried their almost constant opposition to Warne from the last 18 months into the current season, a stance which some of us think is unreasonable (to put it politely).

The idea that we should find things like calls for the managers head after a home win against a good side two games into a new season in a higher league "fair comment" is simply unconscionable to me. I'll always call it out, but I'll never suggest that such posters should be banned.

Just now, Crewton said:

The thing that's done most to kick off the recent arguments has been the unwillingness of some posters to cut Warne any slack as the team finds its feet in the division. Those particular posters have carried their almost constant opposition to Warne from the last 18 months into the current season, a stance which some of us think is unreasonable (to put it politely).

The idea that we should find things like calls for the managers head after a home win against a good side two games into a new season in a higher league "fair comment" is simply unconscionable to me. I'll always call it out, but I'll never suggest that such posters should be banned.

You may not deem it fair, but then you are reducing the crux of the point down further that it is. Claiming that any discussion around it is "unconscionable" is just being purely reactionary. People who are "Warne sceptic" are not so because of a few games this season, but more generally from the overall stint at the club. And of course you can disagree, but being quite so emotive about an argument you've misrepresented is silly to me. 

2 hours ago, jono said:

In essence you seem to be saying some of us should modify our postings whilst others should be free to say what they want without reaction even if what they say is inaccurate and often times unpleasant . Those who have been shouted down as you put it (I prefer to say out argued or ridiculed) simply hold a view that is so alien to the others that it is bound to elicit a equal and opposite reaction. Are you saying that reaction shouldn’t be allowed ? I’d say to you, why should these posters get this level of protection ? 
In any case, Warne hasn’t been protected he’s had plenty of criticism across the board. He gets defended from unwarranted toxicity and quite rightly so too. 

Enjoy the shopping, I’m just off to make the gravy for roast dinner 

Nope, another misrepresentation. I've never said that unpleasant views are welcome and free to be espoused without comeback. The point is that the comeback is not limited to those who express such views, and that in some cases even views whch aren't objectionable are being treated as such.

You're now seemingly openly admitting to ridiculing people because their opinion is 'alien' to the norm, but that may be me misinterpreting your own post.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

56 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Speak for yourself. Is that why you don't really give opinions - so you're never at risk of losing a discussion? If anything, a forum is a place where fans can be more honest than anywhere else. Derby's forum is one of the best around because of the debates. Compare our forum to the majority of other clubs. A lot of them are dead half the time.

11 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Speak for yourself. Is that why you don't really give opinions - so you're never at risk of losing a discussion? If anything, a forum is a place where fans can be more honest than anywhere else. Derby's forum is one of the best around because of the debates. Compare our forum to the majority of other clubs. A lot of them are dead half the time.

Yes, 4000+ posts without an opinion. Good observation there.

There’s giving an opinion and then there is labouring the point, which you spent a week doing recently.

I love debates and there are debates to be had. The day you make an interesting, well backed up point, we’ll have one.

25 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Exactly, I’ve said on here before that I can’t really get worked up about pessimistic or unpleasant or inaccurate posts. People hold different views. There’s no harm in pointing out inaccuracies, or how your views differ, but the posters that comeback vociferously to posters who have expressed different viewpoints are just as bad as each other but entitled to post their views. I’m perhaps too laid back to care, I’m on my second glass of Sauvignon blanc.

I haven’t really seen any posts moaning or deriding Paul Warne in the last 24 hours.

I have seen loads of posts moaning about other posters, though. If this is applies to you, you might be part of the problem on here.

Like I said yesterday, if we play like that for the rest of the season, nobody will be moaning about the manager at all. That was the standard. That was what we all want to see. Sadly, this hasn’t been what he’s been serving up so far this season, or indeed for the vast majority of the season before it. 

Yesterday was the first time since Warne has been in charge that I honestly thought that we’ve got what it takes to stay up and that he’s got what it takes to deliver that. It was fantastic football. 

If that becomes the new normal…brilliant. 99% just want the best for our football club. We may disagree sometimes on how we get there, but we’re all Derby at the end of the day. 

Edited by Nuwtfly

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

You may not deem it fair, but then you are reducing the crux of the point down further that it is. Claiming that any discussion around it is "unconscionable" is just being purely reactionary. People who are "Warne sceptic" are not so because of a few games this season, but more generally from the overall stint at the club. And of course you can disagree, but being quite so emotive about an argument you've misrepresented is silly to me. 

I think that's an inappropriate use of the word 'reactionary'. It's not illogical to call some of the extreme reactions to the Middlesbrough victory "unconscionable to me" because it's what I believe to be true.

I'd like to know in what way I've "misrepresented" the argument though, if you'd like to explain, because it's never my intention to misrepresent anything?

The people at both extremes of this argument are all people who take DCFC personally, just in different ways. 

I've seen many comments on here where my first reaction is Pah! or WTF?, and I want to scoff at what they've said ... but then I think, why jab someone who's already feeling bruised? 

6 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I haven’t really seen any posts moaning or deriding Paul Warne in the last 24 hours.

I have seen loads of posts moaning about other posters, though. If this is applies to you, you might be part of the problem on here.

I found that a bit strange. There's some folk who take pride in being so supportive of a team and manager, even when others aren't, but their first reaction after such a brilliant win and performance isn't to celebrate that, it's to try and start arguments with people who have/had a different opinion to them.

35 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Like I said yesterday, if we play like that for the rest of the season, nobody will be moaning about the manager at all. That was the standard. That was what we all want to see. Sadly, this hasn’t been what he’s been serving up so far this season, or indeed for the vast majority of the season before it. 

Yesterday was the first time since Warne has been in charge that I honestly thought that we’ve got what it takes to stay up and that he’s got what it takes to deliver that. It was fantastic football. 

If that becomes the new normal…brilliant. 99% just want the best for our football club. We may disagree sometimes on how we get there, but we’re all Derby at the end of the day. 

That was the standard?

Warne is not in the beauty pageant industry. He’s in the business of winning football matches here and he’s been doing that consistently enough to win promotion and have us make a solid start to life back in the Championship with a squad built on a limited budget.

There are various ways to win and if you are a manager in the Championship or League 1, you know you always have to find a way or you won’t keep your job for very long.

If we play lovely football and lose, people will still moan and find fault. People bemoaned McClaren’s lack of a plan B, remember?

As such, Warne is not going to insist we play the same way every game because the way we played yesterday won’t always necessarily lead to a win. He will set us up in what he believes is the best way to get that all important win.

We will win games in style like yesterday and we will grind out wins too. If we want to stay up, realistically we have to have the ability to do both. We are going to mix it up.

Edited by Jourdan

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

Yes, 4000+ posts without an opinion. Good observation there.

There’s giving an opinion and then there is labouring the point, which you spent a week doing recently.

I love debates and there are debates to be had. The day you make an interesting, well backed up point, we’ll have one.

With respect, I can't remember an opinion you've had. Your posts all seem to involve sitting on the fence saying 'we'll wait and see'. In fact, you've been saying 'we'll wait and see' since Cocu. Don't try and delegitimise an opinion by deconstructing it as some sort of desire to 'win a discussion'.  

I only kept posting that week because people kept quoting me. I hadn't planned on posting so much but thought it would be rude to not reply to everyone. I thought I was just having a discussion. 

Edited by DCFC Kicks

57 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I think that's an inappropriate use of the word 'reactionary'. It's not illogical to call some of the extreme reactions to the Middlesbrough victory "unconscionable to me" because it's what I believe to be true.

I'd like to know in what way I've "misrepresented" the argument though, if you'd like to explain, because it's never my intention to misrepresent anything?

I mentioned in the prior post, the painting of the scepticism in Warne being based on just a few games this season. It's inaccurate as you well know, hence why you're misrepresenting the point 

1 minute ago, DCFC Kicks said:

With respect, I can't remember an opinion you've had. Your posts all seem to involve sitting on the fence saying 'we'll wait and see'. In fact, you've been saying 'we'll wait and see' since Cocu. Don't try and delegitimise an opinion by deconstructing it as some sort of desire to 'win and discussion'.  

I only kept posing that week because people kept quoting me. I hadn't planned on posting so much but thought it would be rude to not reply to everyone. I thought I was just having a discussion. 

Maybe if you said ‘let’s wait and see’ more often, you wouldn’t have so many people quoting you and tearing down your opinions.

Just a thought.