Paul Warne

Day

On 03/08/2024 at 23:16, Ambitious said:

Really? I genuinely think tactically Warne is excellent. I would put him alongside Billy Davies as the best tactical managers we’ve had since our relegation in 2002.

McClaren was a better coach, as was Cocu and Rosenior, but tactically Warne is better than all three. 

So can you explain Friday night's activities in light of him being the bestest tactician?

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

One of Warne's biggest strengths is his flexibility of formations. It allows him to mix the formation up to suit the opposition, or adjust for injuries.

However, it's also his biggest weakness. Just like last season, we went into the transfer market without a clear plan in mind. Day by day, it almost changed from 3412, to 352, to 3421. Then the change to 4231 before the window even closed. We were after Rhodes 1 week, Mark Harris the next, then Michael Smith later on - no clear identity to the type of forward we wanted. We've gone through all of that once more this summer. Warne also stated wanting a #9, then we go after Woodrow who is weak in the air and is more like a Washington improvement.

I agree mostly. Although I think you're being kind in describing the changes of formations as flexibility. To me it never seems like something he wanted to do but had to because whatever he was doing before wasn't working. 

The recruitment does appear to lack continuity in terms of the profile of players as you say. I'm not sure who to blame for that or if it's intentional but I all feels really short-termist to me.

3 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Or why havent we signed a striker yet

Gets linked with Woodrow

"No dont want him"

Our fans are the absolute pits.

Some of the responses on here can’t be from Derby fans?? They must be red dogs/fans of other clubs on the wind up…..

As Eric Steele/Malcolm Christie have just said on the talk-in it’s the first game of the season….and fans should get behind the club….

4 hours ago, Foreveram said:

So the criticism used to be, we have no plan B, now it’s we’re not picking a certain system and sticking to it, I give up😩

There was no plan B because there was never a consistent plan A. Each game was just a one-off tactically. There's never been any continuity to build on, which has led us to where we are now - 2 years he's been here and we still don't have an identity on the pitch.

5 minutes ago, Eaststander7 said:

Some of the responses on here can’t be from Derby fans?? They must be red dogs/fans of other clubs on the wind up…..

As Eric Steele/Malcolm Christie have just said on the talk-in it’s the first game of the season….and fans should get behind the club….

The erstwhile forum owner mentioned this in another thread. Hadn't occurred to me that this might be the case as it's such a weird way to spend your time, but the more I think about it... 🤔

Also, I think our fans were some of the best around last year and sang their heads off at Blackburn, so I reckon the chaps will have their support. Let's hope we see the lads respond and help ensure us fans have something to cheer. I'm weirdly confident given we got dry humped by them last time out 😱

4 hours ago, Eaststander7 said:

Yes warne has been here for just 2 years and got us out of league one into the championship. 

Several other “big” clubs have been stuck in league one for a lot longer….Sunderland, Bolton, Charlton, Portsmouth all spring to mind. 

2 years is a long time in football. He's had 100 games. Derby are a bigger club than all those you mentioned except Sunderland. His methods are clearly effective to a certain extent in terms of grinding out results in League One. I've said consistently that the lack of a long term foundation tactically will cost us eventually if we ever got back to the Championship. This short-termist, playing game to game can only get you so far. 

4 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

2 years is a long time in football. He's had 100 games. Derby are a bigger club than all those you mentioned except Sunderland. His methods are clearly effective to a certain extent in terms of grinding out results in League One. I've said consistently that the lack of a long term foundation tactically will cost us eventually if we ever got back to the Championship. This short-termist, playing game to game can only get you so far. 

I thought we played consistent warneball 🤷🏻‍♂️

3 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

We're the only one of those clubs playing in the championship two years after exiting administration - and that after one of the most damaging administration periods of any club. 2 years isn't a long time at all when you've been through what we've been through. I think some fans don't recognise this, hence the degree of impatience.

2 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

We’ve been in the championship barring the last two seasons since 2008. And before that (barring the fateful season in the prem) in the championship since 2002. 

How many managers have we had in this time and how many millions have we wasted. Warne delivered promotion and is the first manager since Billy in 2007. I think some fans are a bit deluded with their expectations 

15 minutes ago, Crewton said:

We're the only one of those clubs playing in the championship two years after exiting administration - and that after one of the most damaging administration periods of any club. 2 years isn't a long time at all when you've been through what we've been through. I think some fans don't recognise this, hence the degree of impatience.

Well said 👍.  And pretty every department of the club needed a rebuild, which will continue for a number of years.  I know I’m going to get “we’re bigger than Luton, etc” but their owner/chairman openly admits it took them 5 years to recover.  If in another 3 years we’re an established Championship club, with a sound infrastructure behind the scenes, a scouting network that can unearth some gems and an academy that’s feeding into first team that would be a massive achievement.  All of these need a sound business strategy and patience.  Patience to know you’re on the right path, to ride out the bumps in the road and to make informed decisions avoiding a knee-jerk reaction.

31 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Yes, but this has all been discussed before - it's just not as simple as that.

Sometimes it takes a long time to clear out the deadwood after relegation, and you've got a squad full of players effected by the negative performances of the previous season. We didn't have to deal with any of that side of it, even the few players we kept were part of a team who accumulated enough points to stay up so that hangover doesn't apply.

We had a fresh start, under restrictions yes, but we still had plenty enough of a budget to bring in players capable of competing at the top of League One and some academy players of Championship standard still hnaging about.

You also have to factor in the quality and style of the league during the time we were in it, the state of the other clubs etc. Comparing us to clubs struggling to get out of League one 10-15 years ago is just daft because the league has changed so much in that time (I don't think it's any coincidence that Sunderland finally got out of it just before we did). Portsmouth & Bolton went all the way down to League Two so started their own journeys back from a lower place than us so they've got to get rid of and replace players who can't make the step up.

There's so much more to factor into it.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

36 minutes ago, Eaststander7 said:

We’ve been in the championship barring the last two seasons since 2008. And before that (barring the fateful season in the prem) in the championship since 2002. 

How many managers have we had in this time and how many millions have we wasted. Warne delivered promotion and is the first manager since Billy in 2007. I think some fans are a bit deluded with their expectations 

he was managing in a much easier league than all the others

42 minutes ago, Crewton said:

But we're bigger than all those clubs bar Sunderland. We still had arguably the best squad in the league.

I don't agree that administration entirely stops the manager from implementing a consistent way of playing. He's had multiple transfer windows to get players.

Perhaps let’s give it more than one game at this level before we decide that Warne’s ideas and tactics are on the road to nowhere.

How can we talk about long term foundations when we are two years removed from financial ruin and being on the brink as a club? How can we talk about the long term when most Championship managers spend less than 18 months in their positions?

Long term planning and long term strategising is so much easier to do from a position of strength and a position of continuity. We are only just starting to find our feet and we are still going to experience a degree of change next summer as up to 12 first team players may leave and Warne may too.

Long term thinking and planning - whether that be signings or infrastructure - tends to cost money and at this time we only have a limited budget. 

I am sure we would love to have a philosophy running through the club, a conveyor belt of Academy players breaking through, exciting young players coming in rather than depending on free transfers like Osborn and Jackson.

I just don’t think we are ready financially or in terms of infrastructure to achieve that. I think Warne and Clowes are trying to find a good, crowd pleasing balance but they still need time at the end of the day.