Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

Tyrese Campbell  23 matches 3 goals 1 assist...can we all leave this one..everytime i watch him play, he misses so many chances.

Rather keep Gayle and Brown and buy 2 more..

Need to offload Collins, Waggy and Washington if we are serious about finishing mid table.

13 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

A list of players I like/want based off who I think is very getable with lots of frees, loans and guys in the last year of their contract etc. Made up of mostly of the Dutch, Danish and the EFL leagues. Also didn’t include right back as I don’t see the need for one.

GK

Johansson (25) Rotherham - 900k release clause 

Walton (28) Ipswich - Free

LB

Martin Frese (26) Nordsjaelland - Free

Thierry Small (19) Charlton - 1 YR contract and looks like he’ll leave

Ben Osborn (29) Sheff Utd - Free

CB

Michael Helik (28) Huddersfield - Will leave with Huddersfield down 

El Yaakoubi (28) Excelsior - Free

Jordan Williams (24) Barnsley - Free

Conor Coady (31) Leicester - apparently free to leave 

Di’shon Bernard (23) Sheff Wed - Free

CM

Ebou Adams (26) Cardiff - No explanation needed

Thordarson (25) Silkeborg - Free

Julian Baas (22) Excelsior - Free

Herbie Kane (25) Barnsley - Free

Tyrese Francois (23) Fulham - Free

Oli Norwood (33) Sheff Utd - Free

10/Wing

Kasey McAteer (22) Leicester - Loan

Anders Klynge (23) Silkeborg - 1 YR contract 

Adam Phillips (26) Barnsley - Would be worth a bid 

Tyrhys Dolan (22) Blackburn - 1 YR contract or free not disclosed yet 

Juninho Bacuna (26) Birmingham - 1 YR left and will want to play championship, could even be a similar loan deal potential like we did with Bielik

ST

Theo Bair (24) Motherwell- 1 YR left 

Mika Bierith (21) Arsenal - Loan

Tyrese Campbell (24) Stoke - Free

Osborn and Small have had 1 year extensions triggered 

On 16/05/2024 at 06:43, Carnero said:

Surely moving Nelson to the centre of the back 3 is a valid option (with Bradley as the cover/alternate), in which case a more mobile right sided centre back could be signed to compete with Nyambe/Rooney.

In resposne to this and an identicla post by @Shuff264... It's something I would certainly consider, with Nyambe being the main RCB option, but I don't think Warne will. We only played Rooney at RCB when we also had Mendez-Laing at RWB - it was essentially a back 4.

22 hours ago, MadAmster said:

My take on the Dutch players mentioned by Ghost of Clough...

Matty Ryan would be a good shout as keeper, however, although he's "out of contract", AZ have qualified for Europe again and I reckon they'll make the lad an offer

Syb van Ottele has been a regular for Heerenveen this season. Reasonable defender but less capable than Nels/Cash and comfortable on the ball, possibly not physical enough for the SBC. 22 years old and 6'1"

Shawn Adewoye has been a regular for RKC Waalwijk this season but not physical enough for the SBC. Results this coming weekend could see RKC in the relegation playoffs. 23 years old and 5'11". 

Deroy Duarte has been a regular for Fortuna Sittard this season but, imo, isn't good enough for the SBC despite being a Cape Verde international. Results this coming weekend could see RKC in the relegation playoffs. 24 years old and 5'10".

Lazaros Lamprou has been a regular for Excelsior this season but, imo, isn't good enough for the SBC despite 8 goals and 5 assists this season. He'd be up against better defenders most weeks. Results this coming weekend could see Excelsior in the relegation playoffs. 26 years old and 6'0".

Reasonable assessments, but I would still argue they are some of the more likely options if we were signing any free agents from the Netherlands. I don't consider potenitally being in a relegation spot an indicator of a bad player. In the past, we've signed a few players relegated from the Championship when we were competing in and around the Playoffs.

I wouldn't expect any CB sigining to be a regular starter. Someone like Adewoye could be a starter against the less physical sides (such as Swansea), whilst usign Bradley against the more direct sides (such as Millwall)

I would certainly expect a better signing that Lamprou on the wings. Unfortunately, I couldn't identify many better wingers who would be likely to join us on a free. This'll most likely be a position we pay a fee for or find someone on loan.

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

In resposne to this and an identicla post by @Shuff264... It's something I would certainly consider, with Nyambe being the main RCB option, but I don't think Warne will. We only played Rooney at RCB when we also had Mendez-Laing at RWB - it was essentially a back 4.

Reasonable assessments, but I would still argue they are some of the more likely options if we were signing any free agents from the Netherlands. I don't consider potenitally being in a relegation spot an indicator of a bad player. In the past, we've signed a few players relegated from the Championship when we were competing in and around the Playoffs.

I wouldn't expect any CB sigining to be a regular starter. Someone like Adewoye could be a starter against the less physical sides (such as Swansea), whilst usign Bradley against the more direct sides (such as Millwall)

I would certainly expect a better signing that Lamprou on the wings. Unfortunately, I couldn't identify many better wingers who would be likely to join us on a free. This'll most likely be a position we pay a fee for or find someone on loan.

Those creative positions are certainly the best use of loans in my opinion. They're the ones that cost the most money and we need more youth/pace there too.

14 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

There’s a rumour DC is looking for an investor (group). It’s the rational thing for him to do: keep the stadium and (gradually?) sell the club. But the genesis of the rumour may be wishful thinking. I think if that doesn’t happen we’ll be bumbling around in the championship until we happen upon a wunderkind manager. That might be a very long time 

There’s been lots of press recently about US billionaire investment into the PL and EFl. That’s what we want imo 

David Clowes has made it very clear that he has a 4 year plan to get us settled in the Championship . I wouldn’t expect him to ditch that plan unless we were in trouble . We couldn’t find a buyer at a rock bottom price until DC came in . Let’s not be so quick to ditch him .

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

David Clowes has made it very clear that he has a 4 year plan to get us settled in the Championship . I wouldn’t expect him to ditch that plan unless we were in trouble . We couldn’t find a buyer at a rock bottom price until DC came in . Let’s not be so quick to ditch him .

Before David Clowes bought Derby they wasn't a very attractive purchase, with lawsuits hanging over us. points deductions and relegation looking likely, no ability to buy players 

Now we look a very good club to buy imo , far better gates than most and not much debt and the imbargo lifting 

If I was looking to buy into a football club .Derby County would be a no brainer 

22 minutes ago, eddy779h34 said:

Before David Clowes bought Derby they wasn't a very attractive purchase, with lawsuits hanging over us. points deductions and relegation looking likely, no ability to buy players 

Now we look a very good club to buy imo , far better gates than most and not much debt and the imbargo lifting 

If I was looking to buy into a football club .Derby County would be a no brainer 

Depends on your Purchasing strategy doesn't it.

DCFC now would be a lot more expensive than DCFC two years ago. Clowes has shown that under good leadership, a high can become low risk very quickly.

But don't forget - as a business, we still lose money.... As do most Football Clubs.

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

Depends on your Purchasing strategy doesn't it.

DCFC now would be a lot more expensive than DCFC two years ago. Clowes has shown that under good leadership, a high can become low risk very quickly.

But don't forget - as a business, we still lose money.... As do most Football Clubs.

I don't think Clowes would drive a hard bargain if the right buyer was there. 

DC is a true fan, not a businessman looking to make a quick buck posing as a fan.  I am sure Clowes would look to get back what he has spent and maybe a little profit, but any buyer would still be getting a great deal.

Just my opinion of course.

4 hours ago, simmoram1995 said:

Osborn and Small have had 1 year extensions triggered 

Didn’t realize about Osborn, but with Small I said he has 1 year left and I did read that charltons chairman or head of football said a few months ago if Thierry (small) doesn’t sign a new contract we will trigger his extension and then hinted at selling him. Id be very surprised if he stays at Charlton this summer.

41 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Didn’t realize about Osborn, but with Small I said he has 1 year left and I did read that charltons chairman or head of football said a few months ago if Thierry (small) doesn’t sign a new contract we will trigger his extension and then hinted at selling him. Id be very surprised if he stays at Charlton this summer.

If he ends up out of our price range now and Spurs are in for him ideal scenario would be a loan to us.

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

Last season yes, but if we maintain our current pay structure for next season, we will make a profit. 

Next season's income will be boosted by approx 10% on ticket sales at current gate levels and a massive £10-£12m on TV money, plus increased sponsorship.

A moderate increase in our pay structure will still see us break even, I would think.

This would make us an attractive purchase, being only 1 step away from the riches of the premier League.

On 27/04/2024 at 19:25, Caerphilly Ram said:

If we can compete with other interested sides for their signatures I’d be looking at the following;

Herbie Kane - CM (25) at Barnsley, goals and assists at league one, one of their better players and could do a job for us as a younger option to the (likely) departing Hourihane.

Josh Knight - CB (26) at Posh. A younger cb option than Bradley and Forsyth, thought he’s been decent when we’ve played them.

OR

Jordan Williams - CB (24) at Barnsley. As above, also captain at Barnsley so potentially a good leader at a good age.

Harrison Burrows - LB (22) at Posh. One of their best players, would be a great first choice at Lb/lwb ahead of Elder. 6 Goals and 14 assists this season. Probably get signed by a club with better resource than us but you never know. 

There’ll be others too, maybe from the relegated champ sides (Oliver Rathbone from Rotherham is one I’m almost expecting to sign as a former Warne player).

Hopefully the business we do is shrewd in building squad depth via free agents then what money we do have to spend can be used on the key players (Ebou Adams anyone?) 

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/19-exciting-right-backs-portsmouth-could-turn-to-this-summer-including-manchester-united-arsenal-brighton-and-birmingham-city-options-4631497

You mentioned Jordan Williams, he's number one on this list.

5 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Barnsley fans have no love for Williams and can’t say that he’s ever impressed me either. One to avoid.

3 hours ago, eddy779h34 said:

“No Brainer” for us because we are Rams fans . What makes us unique compared to say Sunderland ? Or for that matter , why would local lad Bird , pick Bristol over us ? 

“No Brainer” for us because we are Rams fans . What makes us unique compared to say Sunderland ? Or for that matter , why would local lad Bird , pick Bristol over us ? 

TBF Bird chose Bristol City at a time when we didn’t look like going up.

His move was done on the best basis for both parties as we got him back and got promoted. I wonder how he feels about it now.

Sometimes, you need to move away and being in Bristol might be good for him.

Chris Martin now has a family here and seems happy. I see him in the local sandwich shop 😊

21 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

TBF Bird chose Bristol City at a time when we didn’t look like going up.

His move was done on the best basis for both parties as we got him back and got promoted. I wonder how he feels about it now.

Sometimes, you need to move away and being in Bristol might be good for him.

Chris Martin now has a family here and seems happy. I see him in the local sandwich shop 😊

Does he have a bacon sandwich, lean back 🙄

Probably a number of reasons, Knight has gone there and has probably encouraged Bird to join him for one and the guarantee of Championship football. Bristol City seem to be paying big wages, despite their grumbles about us in the past and seem to be following a similar path spending wise with their wage bill alone exceeding their income by £8m. They seem to have been spending big for some time now with amortisation costs averaging around £7m each year over the last 2 sets of accounts.

Their accumulative losses over the last 3 sets of accounts appear to be £81m, way over the £39m limit, I think that they must have avoided punishment by playing in a red shirt, rather than a white one.