Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

9 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

A player I’d love us to look at is Chris Willock (26). He’s able play on both wings aswell as the number 10. Didn’t have his best season last year with only 4 goals and 4 assists but QPR were pretty awful as a whole for the majority of the season. He’s coming into his prime years and in the two seasons before last he got 13 goals and 13 assists in 67 league games. Hes a great dribbler and also has good numbers for winning the ball high up the pitch. He’s still in talks with QPR over a new contract but hasn’t even travelled with them to their pre season tour where they’ve brought trailists etc. 

weren’t QPR actually quite exciting last season once they’d got their new progressive gaffer in? 

Just now, IlsonDerby said:

weren’t QPR actually quite exciting last season once they’d got their new progressive gaffer in? 

Not when he first joined but the final third or so of the season yes. I’d imagine they’ll be quite good this season depending on their squad of course. 

20 hours ago, littleover ram said:

We should look at Louis Sibley at Oxford. Decent young English midfielder, championship experience, can play full back too 

And the great thing would be that Agents will be able to dip their bread all over again . Is their not a conflict of interests when people like Rush , Appleby and Wassell are acting as agents ? (Allegedly) . 

On 05/07/2024 at 09:52, TomTom92 said:

Sad state of affairs if you're right. 

There's a difference between keeping money tight and spending nothing. We even spent £1m a couple of times under Clough.

Did we? I only remember Barker type fees. 😆

1 minute ago, TomTom92 said:

Barker was £1m wasn’t he? Or close enough. 

Shackell and Keogh also were close.

To memory, 950k for Barker which Forest matched, then tried to increase but he wanted to come here.  850 k for Shackell.  We sold him, oddly, for 1.2 a year later and spent that on Keogh. 

On 06/07/2024 at 15:50, littleover ram said:

We should look at Louis Sibley at Oxford. Decent young English midfielder, championship experience, can play full back too 

1 in 8 goal average and that's with 2/3rds of his career at full back or out wide and in reality with game time on the pitch, probably 1 in 5.  Could be a good shout.

2 hours ago, samtheram83 said:

Did we? I only remember Barker type fees. 😆

37 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Barker was £1m wasn’t he? Or close enough. 

Shackell and Keogh also were close.

33 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

To memory, 950k for Barker which Forest matched, then tried to increase but he wanted to come here.  850 k for Shackell.  We sold him, oddly, for 1.2 a year later and spent that on Keogh. 

Not forgetting the £1.2m we spent on Sammon after his 2 goals in the year at Wigan which meant his value doubled.

31 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

1 in 8 goal average and that's with 2/3rds of his career at full back or out wide and in reality with game time on the pitch, probably 1 in 5.  Could be a good shout.

We did offer him a deal you know, but he turned us down. If only we'd walked away from some deals that we couldn't afford under Morris, maybe we'd have not had to go through the last 2 years of pain.

We might not like it, but the club are not throwing money at players, they're working to an affordable budget. You make an 'exception' for one player by agreeing to pay him a couple of thousand more per week, then the rest of the squad demand a couple of thousand each and before you know it, your wage bill has jumped by a few million per year.

7 minutes ago, ram59 said:

We did offer him a deal you know, but he turned us down. If only we'd walked away from some deals that we couldn't afford under Morris, maybe we'd have not had to go through the last 2 years of pain.

We might not like it, but the club are not throwing money at players, they're working to an affordable budget. You make an 'exception' for one player by agreeing to pay him a couple of thousand more per week, then the rest of the squad demand a couple of thousand each and before you know it, your wage bill has jumped by a few million per year.

I imagine it's more to do with playing in his natural position than as utility, than the money offered.  The scenario you suggest certainly happened after the play off in 14.  We offered Bryson a contract over 20k a week to secure his services.  Some others had the match highest earning player in their contracts.  I can't imagine that's the case now.  

I totally support the current seeming position of looking to sign players on the free, or for very limited fees. 

We paid stupid money in the teens for overrated players based on emotion or getting one up on the Jones's. 

Crazy when you think that over 25 years ago we were paying roughly £3-4.5m on players. 

Even Barker-type fees seem out of the question. All in good time. Let's consolidate this season and see where we are this time year. 

3 minutes ago, oomarkwright said:

I totally support the current seeming position of looking to sign players on the free, or for very limited fees. 

We paid stupid money in the teens for overrated players based on emotion or getting one up on the Jones's. 

Crazy when you think that over 25 years ago we were paying roughly £3-4.5m on players. 

Even Barker-type fees seem out of the question. All in good time. Let's consolidate this season and see where we are this time year. 

4 million for Ikechi Anya still hurts to this day. I won’t mention Butterfield or Blackman 👀