Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

GK
Replacement for Wildsmith IF he doesn't sign a new deal
Possible options: Chris Walton (Ipswich), Matt Ryan (AZ Alkmaar, Netherlands)

CB
Cashin and Nelson to remain as starters. I think we'll stick with 3 at the back next season so would prefer a new starter in the middle of our defence - an upgrade on Bradley. Nyambe, Bradley, and Forsyth (assuming his contract is extended) acting as cover. Rooney loaned out.
Possible options: Cameron Burgess (Ipswich), Filip Helander (Odense, Denmark), Syb van Ottele (Heerenveen, Netherlands), Shawn Adewoye (Waalwijk, Netherlands), Hasan Kuruçay (Braunschweig, Germany)

RWB
Ward and Wilson to have 6 months to prove they can step up and remain injury free. Review in January

LWB
One of the tough decisions to make. We have Elder who had a horrid season with injuries, Sibley (if he extends his deal) who is still learning the role, and Forsyth (if he stays). Depending on budget, I would be looking at a new signing, but could leave it until January
Possible options: Sam McCallum (Norwich), Marc Nielsen (Hvidovre , Denmark)

CM
With Adams, Smith and Bird leaving this summer, our end of season midfield 3 needs completely replacing. If Hourihane has triggered an extension and we keep Thompson, it means those two plus Fornah our our backup mids. I could see us loaning out one of those younger players and siging a 4th CM this summer
Possible options: Will Vaulks (Sheff Weds), Freddie Potts (West Ham), Joe Williams (Bristol City), Alan Browne (Preston), Ebou Adams (Cardiff), Connor Barron (Aberdeen), Herbie Kane (Barnsley), Deroy Duarte (Fortuna, Netherlands), Robin Fellhauer (Elversberg, Germany)

W
If formations this season are anything to go by, we'll need players who can fit into a 3412 and a 3421. Logically, that means players who can play out wide. We already have Mendez-Laing and Blackett-Taylor under contract, with rumours of Barkhuizen triggering an extension. 1 new signing who can also play central will be needed.
Possible options: Chris Willock (QPR), Lazaros Lamprou (Excelsior, Netherlands)

CF
John-Jules, Gayle and Waghorn out, with Collins hopefully signing a new deal and Brown being drafted into the first team. Two new CFs needed. I'm undecided if it would be best to offload Washington to free up some budget for other positions, or keep him as a fringe player.
Possible options: Harry Leonard (Blackburn), John McAtee (Luton), Sam Gallagher (Blackburn), Tyrese Campbell (Stoke), Sinan Karweina (Klagenfurt, Austria)

23 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

GK

CB
Cashin and Nelson to remain as starters. I think we'll stick with 3 at the back next season so would prefer a new starter in the middle of our defence - an upgrade on Bradley. Nyambe, Bradley, and Forsyth (assuming his contract is extended) acting as cover. Rooney loaned out.
Possible options: Cameron Burgess (Ipswich), Filip Helander (Odense, Denmark), Syb van Ottele (Heerenveen, Netherlands), Shawn Adewoye (Waalwijk, Netherlands), Hasan Kuruçay (Braunschweig, Germany)

RWB
Ward and Wilson to have 6 months to prove they can step up and remain injury free. Review in January

LWB
One of the tough decisions to make. We have Elder who had a horrid season with injuries, Sibley (if he extends his deal) who is still learning the role, and Forsyth (if he stays). Depending on budget, I would be looking at a new signing, but could leave it until January

CM
With Adams, Smith and Bird leaving this summer, our end of season midfield 3 needs completely replacing. If Hourihane has triggered an extension and we keep Thompson, it means those two plus Fornah our our backup mids. I could see us loaning out one of those younger players and siging a 4th CM this summer
Possible options: Will Vaulks (Sheff Weds), Freddie Potts (West Ham), Joe Williams (Bristol City), Alan Browne (Preston), Ebou Adams (Cardiff), Connor Barron (Aberdeen), Herbie Kane (Barnsley), Deroy Duarte (Fortuna, Netherlands), Robin Fellhauer (Elversberg, Germany)

W
If formations this season are anything to go by, we'll need players who can fit into a 3412 and a 3421. Logically, that means players who can play out wide. We already have Mendez-Laing and Blackett-Taylor under contract, with rumours of Barkhuizen triggering an extension. 1 new signing who can also play central will be needed.

CF
John-Jules, Gayle and Waghorn out, with Collins hopefully signing a new deal and Brown being drafted into the first team. Two new CFs needed. I'm undecided if it would be best to offload Washington to free up some budget for other positions, or keep him as a fringe player.
Possible options: Harry Leonard (Blackburn), John McAtee (Luton), Sam Gallagher (Blackburn), Tyrese Campbell (Stoke), Sinan Karweina (Klagenfurt, Austria)

How much have you seen of these exotic names?

Karweina for example was pretty unremarkable in the third tier of German football before signing into the Austrian top flight, where he’s a roughly 1 in 4 striker. Now I have never seen him play, but I have watched 2 games from that league live, and it’s not great. What makes you think he could step up at 25?

2 hours ago, Srg said:

How much have you seen of these exotic names?

Karweina for example was pretty unremarkable in the third tier of German football before signing into the Austrian top flight, where he’s a roughly 1 in 4 striker. Now I have never seen him play, but I have watched 2 games from that league live, and it’s not great. What makes you think he could step up at 25?

Sometimes you just have to take a chance on a player. It seems like it's finally clicked for Karweina, who has 13 goals and 7 assists in 29 games this season. Overall, I don't think there's much difference in quality between the Austrian Bundesliga and the SPL, so I don't think it's too unreasonable to expect some players from Austria being capable of playing in the Championship.

To be honest, I was scraping the barrel a bit with a couple of my suggestions, but my intention was to limit the suggestions to only free agents (plus Adams and a couple of loan options)

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

GK

Johansson from Rotherham ?

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

CB

Josh Knight-out of contract at Peterborough or Chris Forino of Wycombe? 

RWB

LWB

CM

W

CF

1 hour ago, nogbad van 50 said:

Johansson from Rotherham ?

Josh Knight-out of contract at Peterborough or Chris Forino of Wycombe? 

If the £900k figure is to be believed, I think we can get better value for money elsewhere.

Josh Knight ain't good enough in the air to get in a Warne side. With Cashin and Nelson as the sided CBs, any new signing would have to be a dominant CB. Knight is a 'ball playing' CB.

I think Forino is more of a Warne type CB, but I believe he has only played onnthe right of a back 3. Probably needs another season at L1 level before stepping up a division too

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If the £900k figure is to be believed, I think we can get better value for money elsewhere.

I think we probably can, but that's going to be the case with most Championship players that cost money.

The part that adds to the price is the reputation in this country, and I think it's impressive that so many Championship clubs would consider Johansson a good signing despite conceding 89 goals this season.

If we paid £900k for him, I think we're almost certain to make a profit on him too. There may be better value for money in Denmark/Norway/Sweden/wherever, but it's also more of a gamble.

11 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I think we probably can, but that's going to be the case with most Championship players that cost money.

The part that adds to the price is the reputation in this country, and I think it's impressive that so many Championship clubs would consider Johansson a good signing despite conceding 89 goals this season.

If we paid £900k for him, I think we're almost certain to make a profit on him too. There may be better value for money in Denmark/Norway/Sweden/wherever, but it's also more of a gamble.

I feel like this is definitely a way we need to look at things. We've hardly ever been that club. I'm almost pretty certain he will concede less goals with our defence albeit we are going be be tested far more often than we had this season

2 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

I feel like this is definitely a way we need to look at things. We've hardly ever been that club. I'm almost pretty certain he will concede less goals with our defence albeit we are going be be tested far more often than we had this season

I think people are naturally apprehensive because pretty much all of our recent signings for a 'decent fee' in the last decade have turned out to be a terrible waste of money.

This list makes for grim reading, there's no wonder we ended up in the mess we're in. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/derby-county/transferrekorde/verein/22

But I think Clowes has shown he will invest money if he believes it's beneficial for the club. The compensation package for Warne & friends when Rosenior was the cheap option, paying the loan fee for CBT when he could be had on a free right now... I don't think we'll splash the cash, but if players like Johansson became available for what appears to be below market value, then I think we'll definitely be in the running.

5 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Like to see us get Alfie May would be a good link with our strikers 

Think that ship sailed last season. Could’ve picked him up for £250k instead we’d be looking at £1m+ now.

Just now, DCFC1388 said:

Jay Stansfield on loan would be decent. Won supporters player, players player & young player for Birmingham this season

I assume he'd be going to Birmingham as they'll be keeping the squad and spending 50 million according to their knuckle draggers. Don't tell them their restricted to spending 75% of turnover on the players including wages and burst that bubble and 50% the following year.

8 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I assume he'd be going to Birmingham as they'll be keeping the squad and spending 50 million according to their knuckle draggers. Don't tell them their restricted to spending 75% of turnover on the players including wages and burst that bubble and 50% the following year.

Proper deluded bunch them. I don’t think reality has set in yet 

9 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Josh Knight ain't good enough in the air to get in a Warne side. With Cashin and Nelson as the sided CBs, any new signing would have to be a dominant CB. Knight is a 'ball playing' CB.

I think Forino is more of a Warne type CB, but I believe he has only played onnthe right of a back 3. Probably needs another season at L1 level before stepping up a division too

Surely moving Nelson to the centre of the back 3 is a valid option (with Bradley as the cover/alternate), in which case a more mobile right sided centre back could be signed to compete with Nyambe/Rooney.