Exeter City v Derby - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

Tricky game  we are never convincing and Exeter are currently second only to Portsmouth in the form table over the last four games with 3 wins and one defeat.

We are better away from Pride Park at the moment and we need to continue that form and get the three points.

Edited by Rambalin

For some reason I went to see Exeter play Forest Green last season and they were amazing. I tipped them (in my own head, nobody actually asked my opinion) for play offs this season and was secretly very pleased with myself. They’ve been much worse than all that so let’s hope we batter them 

26 minutes ago, Jram said:

For some reason I went to see Exeter play Forest Green last season and they were amazing. I tipped them (in my own head, nobody actually asked my opinion) for play offs this season and was secretly very pleased with myself. They’ve been much worse than all that so let’s hope we batter them 

The one caveat to that is Spondon Reserves would have looked half decent against FGR these past 18 months.

8 hours ago, sage said:

I can't see Blackett-Taylor starting 3 days after not coming off the bench.

Anyone know what's happening with him? Warne mentioned not wanting to play him at Charlton then possibly a niggle? I'm hoping for another NML. Must be physically fit if he's been playing regularly surely. 

20 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Anyone know what's happening with him? Warne mentioned not wanting to play him at Charlton then possibly a niggle? I'm hoping for another NML. Must be physically fit if he's been playing regularly surely. 

I get the impression that CBT isn’t the player Warne thought he was signing. The player said how keen he was to be joining Derby but he didn’t look keen when he played and there was some suggestion from Warne that he hadn’t trained well.

Similarly I haven’t heard Warne say how excited he is to get CBT in the team.

His half time ‘warm-up’ couldn’t have been less lacklustre. I think he thought he would swan into the starting lineup and that Warne is showing him you have to work for it.

5 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I get the impression that CBT isn’t the player Warne thought he was signing. The player said how keen he was to be joining Derby but he didn’t look keen when he played and there was some suggestion from Warne that he hadn’t trained well.

His half time ‘warm-up’ couldn’t have been less lacklustre. I think he thought he would swan into the starting lineup and that Warne is showing him you have to work for it.

There is something in the background for sure

53 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

When did he play? Assuming you meant played for Derby rather than his previous club where he seems to have done rather welll.

Edited by Tamworthram

50 minutes ago, sage said:

There is something in the background for sure

Really?

He didn’t look keen when he played - even though he’s not played for us yet?

Warne suggested he hadn’t trained well. Maybe Warne meant because of his injury rather than attitude?

He couldn’t have been more lacklustre in his half time warm up. - I can’t say that I noticed and maybe that’s just the way he always is. I’ve never seen him warming up before. 

I sincerely hope you’re wrong otherwise it could be the shortest time ever we’ve taken against a player (justified or not). He’s only been here just over a week.

14 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Really?

Warne suggested he hadn’t trained well. Maybe Warne meant because of his injury rather than attitude?

He couldn’t have been more lacklustre in his half time warm up. - I can’t say that I noticed and maybe that’s just the way he always is. I’ve never seen him warming up before. 

I sincerely hope you’re wrong otherwise it could be the shortest time ever we’ve taken against a player (justified or not). He’s only been here just over a week.

I haven't taken against him. Its just feels off as a start at a club. Maybe Warne is trying to coach him to play how he wants.

From the little I have seen of him, he looks like a player who excels on the break, who needs space, rather than beating a low block

55 minutes ago, angieram said:

He must be carrying some sort of knock as PW said post match on RD he had only trained one day last week. 

Can't say, the bits of him that we've seen, that he looks particularly fit in a general sense tbh.

51 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

He was straight into the team for the home game against Cheltenham, played 64 minutes.

I can't blame you form forgetting he was on the pitch though, his teammates didn't seem to realise either.

He didn't get involved, hovered around the halfway line for most of the match waiting for balls that never came his way. On the rare occasion he did see the ball he looked OK, but didn't / couldn't use his pace (perhaps due to the injury) and there was one noticeably poor pice of control where he kicked the ball too far ahead of him, although it's possible that's something he'd normally make up for with his pace.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

11 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wildsmith

Ward   Nelson   Cashin   Elder

Bird   Adams   Sibley

Mendez-Laing   Collins   Blackett-Taylor

Subs: JThompson, Nyambe, Bradley, Hourihane, LThompson, Wilson, Barkhuizen

Ward ain’t a right back, asking for trouble playing him there. Is Nyambe injured 🤔

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Really?

Started against Cheltenham, subbed after an hour.  Those stalwarts of the player ratings thread gave him a score ranging from 3 to 6 with a mode average of 4.

Signed on the 22nd of January, now in his fourth week at the club.

We spend time chasing and signing an out and out winger with a good reputation at this level throughout this league when playing in a front three, once signed we move to playing two up front.

……………no wonder the kid looks cheesed off.

13 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Started against Cheltenham, subbed after an hour.  Those stalwarts of the player ratings thread gave him a score ranging from 3 to 6 with a mode average of 4.

Signed on the 22nd of January, now in his fourth week at the club.

We spend time chasing and signing an out and out winger with a good reputation at this level throughout this league when playing in a front three, once signed we move to playing two up front.

……………no wonder the kid looks cheesed off.

I think it comes down to a lack of clear plan on how signigns will fit into the side. We had the same in the summer byt signing 2 RWBs and a LB to play as wing backs. The LB struggles at LWB then the RWBs pick up injuries. We sign a RB, shift to 4 at the back and the LB looked settled when he eventually had a couple of starts. The RWBs no longer simply slot in the side as both lack defensive qualities Warne wants to see at RB, or are either not quick enough or lack end product to play at RW.

Our CF targets varied in style. Mark Harris, Rhodes, etc.. 

No we've gone to 352 without a recognised LWB and only 1 forward, despite starting a winger at CF, having 2 wingers on the bench and another who has regularly played there this season.

Wildsmith 

Nyambe     Nelson    Bradley    Elder 

Bird.   Adam’s.     Hourahan 

NML.         Collins.      Barkhauzen 

assuming Cashin isn’t fit 

5 ATB for away games, 

Team i'd go for:

Wildsmith
Ward - Nelson - Bradley - Cashin (assumed fit) - Sibley
Bird - Adams
NML - Collins - CBT

Team I think Warne will go for: