Exeter City v Derby - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

24 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Strike up another example of people being so quick to dispel any potential criticism of Warne that they jump in to defend him when there isn't even a criticism being made!

You're applying motives to my post that simply weren't there.

If anything I was going to say, that perhaps this shows why our performances still look so disjointed most of the time.

However, if you absolutely insist that we've had a consistent starting eleven it removes that as an excuse and makes our lack of cohesion worse.

Well, if you'd made your motives a bit clearer I wouldn't have misinterpreted them 😉

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Now do the same analysis taking into account injuries. 

Below is a table showing how many players each team had used up to matchday 31. You can see DCFC are in the lower quartile.

At the end of last year, Wildsmith, Nyambe, Nelson, Cashin, Fozzy, Bird, Hourihane, NML and Collins had played in pretty much every league game for which they'd been fit and available. That's what they mean by a consistent starting XI. 

If you really expected Warne to pick the same starting XI every game in this league I think you're being wildly unrealistic.

Screenshot_20240213-151327-01.thumb.jpeg.02cc75b0924340d5c92e01c1c42776f7.jpeg

Interesting that most if not all of the top teams (bar Barnsley) are in the bottom half of this table though….seems to suggest consistency of team selection generally works…

Depending on injuries and fitness:

Wildsmith

Nyambe Nelson Cashin

Wilson Adams Bird Elder

NML Collins CBT

If we are going to persist with three at the back, I prefer a 3-4-3 to give us more threat and more spark.

3-5-2 can work, but it tends to be a more cautious version when we adopt it.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

Depending on injuries and fitness:

Wildsmith

Nyambe Nelson Cashin

Wilson Adams Bird Elder

NML Collins CBT

If we are going to persist with three at the back, I prefer a 3-4-3 to give us more threat and more spark.

3-5-2 can work, but it tends to be a more cautious version when we adopt it.

I think that’s our strongest eleven if they’re fit.

Could just as easily be 4-4-2.

Would Warne be brave enough?

🤞

Quick comment about Exeter's goalkeeper Sinisalo. He is on loan from Aston Villa, who have very high hopes for him. And not only them, he's been around the Finnish international team as a 3rd choice for a while now as he is expected to be the next first choice for years to come when Leverkusen's Hradecky retires.

He is tall and excellent at stopping shots and penalties, and according to xG, he has prevented more goals than any other goalkeeper in the PL, Championship, L1, or L2 this season.

𝟳.𝟵 — 𝗩𝗶𝗹𝗷𝗮𝗺𝗶 𝗦𝗶𝗻𝗶𝘀𝗮𝗹𝗼
7.4 — Corey Addai
6.4 — Paul Farman
6.3 — Mads Hermansen

They have another Finnish player, Niskanen, a wing-back with an engine that might overrun Jason Knight's one. Excellent when defending but not much of a footballer.

Just now, Dimmu said:

Quick comment about Exeter's goalkeeper Sinisalo. He is on loan from Aston Villa, who have very high hopes for him. And not only them, he's been around the Finnish international team as a 3rd choice for a while now as he is expected to be the next first choice for years to come when Leverkusen's Hradecky retires.

He is tall and excellent at stopping shots and penalties, and according to xG, he has prevented more goals than any other goalkeeper in the PL, Championship, L1, or L2 this season.

𝟳.𝟵 — 𝗩𝗶𝗹𝗷𝗮𝗺𝗶 𝗦𝗶𝗻𝗶𝘀𝗮𝗹𝗼
7.4 — Corey Addai
6.4 — Paul Farman
6.3 — Mads Hermansen

They have another Finnish player, Niskanen, a wing-back with an engine that might overrun Jason Knight's one. Excellent when defending but not much of a footballer.

Sounds like two players we could do with trying to sign…😎

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think that’s our strongest eleven if they’re fit.

Could just as easily be 4-4-2.

Would Warne be brave enough?

🤞

I think in ordinary circumstances he might. At the moment, it feels like he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t.

We are in a tight race for top 2 and dropped points of any kind aren’t well received and could be difference making.

I would like to see him go for it and be adventurous but I do suspect given Exeter’s form and what’s at stake, we might see a safety first approach.

1 minute ago, CapeTownRams said:

Sounds like two players we could do with trying to sign…😎

Sinisalo would be great but I believe he has a long contract with Villa. Niskanen is horrible even though he can run forever.

24 minutes ago, CapeTownRams said:

Interesting that most if not all of the top teams (bar Barnsley) are in the bottom half of this table though….seems to suggest consistency of team selection generally works…

Is that supposed to be a "gotcha" or somesuch? Because, whatever you think, our degree of consistency has also "worked", hasn't it?