Where do you think we'll finish this season?

2 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

My only comment about the comparisons with the Reading match was at the time we were on a downward spiral with a defence that leaked goals for fun. Neither are the case this time.

Good point. No plan B! 

Whereas Warne has a Plan A, B and C. We sometimes see all three in the same match. 😂

Just an aside, Warne wasn't at the Supporters Club event last night because he'd gone to watch Cambridge at Bristol Rovers. Even at this late stage of the season, he's leaving no stone unturned in his quest to get us up. He works as hard as he expects from the players. 

16 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I agree but I'm just saying, don't count your chickens. As has been mentioned previously, it's not that long again that we only needed a draw at home to lowly Reading (admittedly, a different proposition to playing Carlisle - I hope) to make the play offs but we ended up losing.

I'm also predicting a draw in that final game Posh v Bolton but who knows what will happen. One team may be resting players for the play offs whilst the other is going all guns blazing in order to overtake us. Look at last season. Barnsley, already in the play offs and 12 points ahead of Posh, end up losing 2:0 at home to them on the last day. 

Yes, but that all irrelevant if we win on Saturday or even both our games its promotion.

Posh can max out on 89pt

We beat Cambridge 89pt with plus 10 GD - I cannot see us losing at home to Carlisle. 

Not the same as getting into the playoffs in 2015 ....this is promotion!

13 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Bolton have had a monumental drop off in form. Since February they have only won 6 in 17 games, picking up 26 points.

Over a season that isn’t even top 9 form.

Usually 2 points a game is the requirement for automatic promotion. Not this year.

Whoever goes up in the playoffs is finishing bottom of the Championship next season

Think you are right - with Rotherham yo-yo ing straight back up . 2 Draws will do us thanks . 

19 minutes ago, Charliegeorge1962 said:

Yes, but that all irrelevant if we win on Saturday or even both our games its promotion.

Posh can max out on 89pt

We beat Cambridge 89pt with plus 10 GD - I cannot see us losing at home to Carlisle. 

Not the same as getting into the playoffs in 2015 ....this is promotion!

It’s not “irrelevant ”if we win on Saturday (unless both Posh and Bolton drop points). It means the chances of us failing to go up would be very remote but, still possible. That’s all I’m saying. 

40 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

My only comment about the comparisons with the Reading match was at the time we were on a downward spiral with a defence that leaked goals for fun. Neither are the case this time.

You’re right. Along with many others on this forum, I was at that game and seem to recall a sense of inevitability about the result rather than surprise.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I agree but I'm just saying, don't count your chickens. As has been mentioned previously, it's not that long again that we only needed a draw at home to lowly Reading (admittedly, a different proposition to playing Carlisle - I hope) to make the play offs but we ended up losing.

I'm also predicting a draw in that final game Posh v Bolton but who knows what will happen. One team may be resting players for the play offs whilst the other is going all guns blazing in order to overtake us. Look at last season. Barnsley, already in the play offs and 12 points ahead of Posh, end up losing 2:0 at home to them on the last day. 

I agree. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. Yes, we are one step closer but that’s all- the way things have gone lately u almost feel that the drama isn’t over yet.😳

We need an early goal at Cambridge.

Obviously we have been fixated on Bolton and their results lately… but Peterborough to me are actually the bigger danger if we become complacent and screw up at Cambridge- i can see Posh winning all their last three games and with a very positive GD.. the gap in that GD looks large now , but as we have seen Posh are very capable of some 5-0 games when they are on it…

Yes, they supposedly have a few injuries now, but the window is still open for them…

We need to win Saturday mo matter how we do it. 
COYR 🐏🐏🐏

The pressure really is still on Bolton & Peterborough as they HAVE to win on Sat to have any chance, we dont.

We could lose Sat & still go up on goal difference, a draw on Sat then we have to match or better Bolton/PBoro result in our game vs Carlisle.

The way this league is it wouldnt shock me if only 1 more point would see us up

3 hours ago, hydraulic ram said:

Can't see Warne thinking it's done and dusted, not the mentality he's shown so far.

I think he will want 2 wins and expect the players to commit to 2 wins no matter what.

I reckon there’s no manager in the entire league that would think it’s done and dusted yet or indeed if we still have a three point lead (and six points on Peterborough) after Saturday. They would be insane to think so.

As someone said above, Posh can't finish with more than 89 points, same as Bolton, and we still have GD advantage over both.

So - if we reach 90 points it doesn't matter what either of them do.

Bolton's result last night puts them behind what I predicted, and makes it unlikely that they can now overtake us unless bizarre things happen on the final day.

Possible scenarios Rams v Trotters:

We win the last 2 games and we are 2nd no matter what.

We win and draw the last 2 games and we have 90 points and are still 2nd no matter what.

We draw both games, and if Bolton win both theirs then they are 2nd (89 points to our 88).  Same thing would also be true if Posh won their last 3.  However, since Posh play Bolton BOTH of those scenarios happening at once is impossible, it would be either one or the other above us but not both, and we would finish 3rd, with all the playoff advantages that brings.  Let's hope however that it doesn't come to that.

That seems to me to be a reason to really go for it on Saturday, as a win would really take the pressure off.  No point accepting a point on Saturday, as this would only increase the pressure to win on the last day. 

If we won on Saturday and got to 89 points then GD would kick in, and we would still finish 2nd no matter what happens on the last day.  Or at the very least we would go into the last day knowing that only the combination of both a heavy loss for us and a big win for Trotters or Posh (possible but unlikely) would change anything.

6 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

It’s the natural reaction to it all I think, a mix of excitement at the increased probability of succeeding, and nerves at the inevitable possibility of us messing it up. I’ve been optimistic all season, and am still a wreck internally about these last couple of games 

I’m the same.  I said to a mate today that I’m about to have the longest 10 days or so of my life.  I have so many scenarios running round my head, both good and bad.  Peterborough worry me.  In the next week they have 2 away games, both winnable on paper.  Can they win the both, and if so, by how much?  And then I think surely we can get 4 points from the next 2.  There’s just too much to think about!!

6 minutes ago, StantonRam said:

As someone said above, Posh can't finish with more than 89 points, same as Bolton, and we still have GD advantage over both.

Bolton's result last night puts them behind what I predicted, and makes it unlikely that they can now overtake us unless bizarre things happen on the final day.

We win and draw the last 2 games and we have 90 points and are still 2nd no matter what.

We draw both games, and if Bolton win both theirs then they are 2nd (89 points to our 88).  Same thing would also be true if Posh won their last 3.  However, since Posh play Bolton BOTH of those scenarios happening at once is impossible, it would be either one or the other above us but not both, and we would finish 3rd, with all the playoff advantages that brings.  Let's hope however that it doesn't come to that.

That seems to me to be a reason to really go for it on Saturday, as a win would really take the pressure off.  No point accepting a point on Saturday, as this would only increase the pressure to win on the last day. 

If we won on Saturday and got to 89 points then GD would kick in, and we would still finish 2nd no matter what happens on the last day.  Or at the very least we would go into the last day knowing that only the combination of both a heavy loss for us and a big win for Trotters or Posh (possible but unlikely) would change anything.

That depends on what Bolton (or Posh) do on Saturday. It isn’t inconceivable that Bolton beat Port Vale by 3 or 4 goals. Meaning, if we say only beat Cambridge by a single goal, we’d go into the final game with a 3 point advantage but our gd advantage cut to 3 or less. If that happened it wouldn’t require a combination of a heavy defeat for us and a big win for Bolton for them to overtake us.

The only certainty is, if we get better results than both Bolton and Posh on Saturday then we’re up. Anything less (other than a defeat for us and a handsome win for either Bolton or Peterborough) probably leaves us as favourites going into the last games.

1 hour ago, StantonRam said:

Was thinking about this earlier. If Bolton are winning by 2 or more with 20 minutes to go, assuming we’re drawing against Cambridge, I wouldn’t go uber attacking. If they’re only winning by 1 then I agree to roll the dice and try and steal 3 points. 

Even with our ‘easier’ match on the final day I’d want at least a 2 goal cushion on goal difference.

That said ultimately I think even with a defeat at the weekend we should go up. If we need to score 3/4 against Carlisle then there’s no reason why we can’t.

On 30/01/2024 at 23:33, IslandExile said:

We're rounding the final bend and entering the home straight. Ok, not quite but we're over half way through.

Will we get automatic promotion, have to settle for the playoffs or - heaven forbid - miss out altogether again and face another season in League One?

My fear is that Bolton and Posh will get the autos, leaving us to battle it out in the play offs.

[Aside: have polls been turned off? I was going to make this a poll.]

i think we will finish 2nd.

2 hours ago, StantonRam said:

Thanks LondonRam2