Fatigue or poor mentality?

I wanted to discuss this topic because I’m really not sure about us after last night. Has the age , training and inability to sign younger players caught us up or do you think we have players who don’t have the right mentality when the pressure mounts?

Injuries and diminishing availability of players is leading to a wobble. At one point we had won 8 games in 9, right now it’s 10 wins in 14?

It’s impossible to keep up that success rate and play with the same energy, composure and intensity again and again.

Take the first choice goalkeeper, left back and right back out of any side and it is telling. Having to rely on six players without any rotation or respite is making a difference.

Forsyth, Smith, Waghorn, Washington and now John Jules are all injured and Nyambe is unavailable and that is a factor. Some players - young and old - can’t be trusted to start and that is a factor too.

We were bound to slow down at some point. We just have to bounce back quickly.

For @Jourdan 

@JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta "I posted a version of this in the match thread but it belongs here I think. I'm Warne out, I have been all season really. Even in our run of form performance levels were frequently poor and we rarely look like a team in control of a football match.

The simple fact is Warne thinks he can approach the Derby job with good vibes and percentage based kick and rush football down the flanks that offers little control. There's not really any nuance to it and any manager with half a brain can figure it out and counter it. 

Despite the above, we have brute forced a number of wins by having better players and a bigger budget than the opposition. If we get promoted we won't have better players and a bigger budget than the opposition. What do we do then?

I maintain that a manager with a more advanced approach to football and how to set a team up would extract better performances out of this team, and the deficiencies I see in Warne's approach will only become more of a problem as time goes on."

Edited by RoyMac5

I think it’s a bit of both, but it’s exposed by poor game management. I think for the last few games it’s probably been the issue, but last night really showed it. We’d win the ball and Wilson or NML were running into blind alleys where they were doubled up on. Bird and Hourihane were passing 10 yards ahead of a man trying to make things happen quick rather than holding onto the ball and maybe trying to make Reading chase. There is room for that in Warneball despite what people think. We were predictable in what we wanted to do and erratic with how we did it because we had no way of slowing the game down.

We miss Nyambe, I think that’s the big one and most obvious. We didn’t look poor against Peterborough whereas in the games since we haven’t been anywhere near as convincing. Nyambe has a bit of composure and can find himself in space with the ball. Smith is another one who i think right now we miss. Yes hes a bit of a sideways passer and not the most exciting but we probably need a someone who is steady right now and isnt going to lose the ball with a wayward pass. o

30 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

...We miss Nyambe, I think that’s the big one and most obvious. We didn’t look poor against Peterborough whereas in the games since we haven’t been anywhere near as convincing. Nyambe has a bit of composure and can find himself in space with the ball. Smith is another one who i think right now we miss. Yes hes a bit of a sideways passer and not the most exciting but we probably need a someone who is steady right now and isnt going to lose the ball with a wayward pass. o

So why didn't Warne sign another RB, what will we do if Nyambe gets injured?

Why does Warne always have trouble motivating the players for a full season? This is exactly the same as last season where he comes out and says the fight isn't there etc etc. Isn't that his job?

2 hours ago, Jram said:

I think it’s just a random blip. We’ll probably win handsomely on Saturday. You can’t win every game, im not over thinking it 

I hope you're right regarding it being a random blip. It may well be in terms of results but I don't think many would argue that we have looked convincing in most games for quite a while now. ☹️

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So why didn't Warne sign another RB, what will we do if Nyambe gets injured?

I do agree, yet smith when hes fit would be my replacement if he got injuried. I would like to keep our funds for a striker and cm. Week in week out our midfield doesnt work bird had 1 really good game out of 7 and all the rest we lose our midfield. I feel wildsmith does alot more for our team then alot realise as we seem to sit alot deeper with vickers in goal

8 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

It was just a s*** performance end of, consign to the bin and move on. I’m not panicking yet

That would be easier if it was a s*** performance in isolation but how many s*** performances have we had recently? How often have we actually looked good?

I’m certainly not panicking but neither am I filled with confidence that even if we retain our play off place and continue to be on the fringes of the autos (both of which I think we will) we’ll start to look like a good team. Generally speaking, I only get to watch the limited highlights of the other promotion contenders. Maybe week in week out they’re not much better and my expectations are too high. 🤷🏻‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

That would be easier if it was a s*** performance in isolation but how many s*** performances have we had recently? How often have we actually looked good?

I’m certainly not panicking but neither am I filled with confidence that even if we retain our play off place and continue to be on the fringes of the autos (both of which I think we will) we’ll start to look like a good team. Generally speaking, I only get to watch the limited highlights of the other promotion contenders. Maybe week in week out they’re not much better and my expectations are too high. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Not many IMO. Think some are overreacting. We’ve not be scintillating but we’ve not been bad, good in patches of games rather than full games. Burton for example we were decent until we let them back in.

But last night was so bad don’t think it’s evidence of a trend, it has its own category. That’s more my point.

5 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Not many IMO. Think some are overreacting. We’ve not be scintillating but we’ve not been bad, good in patches of games rather than full games. Burton for example we were decent until we let them back in.

But last night was so bad don’t think it’s evidence of a trend, it has its own category. That’s more my point.

I kind of agree but how many poor performances does it take to provide evidence of a trend? We probably weren’t as bad as some of us think against Lincoln but it wasn’t a great performance. If we fail to turn up on Saturday (even if we still scrape a win) that would be three less than inspiring league performances on the bounce.

We’ve not quite reached the must win scenario yet but anything less than three points AND a decent performance against Cheltenham will be a worry.

Fatigue - for the footballers in the squad I imagine it’s tiring playing Warnes Way both physically and mentally- I feel most of are players are not naturally comfortable with the style of play but are doing a good job trying 

It’s always hard being asked to play one way when you like to play another whatever level you play at - I imagine Bird and Hourahine would rather play more football but are being asked to follow the plan 

I think if Warne mixed it up a little more tactically he’d get us top but I think teams are working us out - so cmon Warney let’s play some tica taca down the middle 😎