No midfield control again…

LN747

11 hours ago, S8TY said:

But some want him out of the team and prefer Bird ....we lack goals from midfield as it is and Max doesn't score and never looks like scoring ,

he has 2 goals and 5 assists in 23 matches playing as a CDM most of the time. That's basically a 1 in 3 goal contribution.  Bear in mind he doesn't take set pieces either to help boost those stats. What more do you want?

If your after more goals from midfield, surely it's whoever is playing as the no.10 s responsibility more than it is the CDM.

5 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

he has 2 goals and 5 assists in 23 matches playing as a CDM most of the time. That's basically a 1 in 3 goal contribution.  Bear in mind he doesn't take set pieces either to help boost those stats. What more do you want?

If your after more goals from midfield, surely it's whoever is playing as the no.10 s responsibility more than it is the CDM.

He's joint 3rd central mid (DM, CM or AM) in the league for open play key passes - Peterborough's Randall and Charlton's Dobson are top 2. Shooting is his biggest weakness, but he's still joint 16 for open play shots (only 7 shots behind 4th)

1 hour ago, Chris_Martin said:

Your last sentence is they key one from my pov. We don’t have an effective outlet at 10. With the likes of Wash and Waggy you can pull CB’s and DM’s out of position. I suspect much of our failings in the midfield stem from this. Bird and Hourihan only really have wide as an outlet .. so they use it. Don’t think it’s all Warne ball .. I think it’s type of players as much as anything 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He's joint 3rd central mid (DM, CM or AM) in the league for open play key passes - Peterborough's Randall and Charlton's Dobson are top 2. Shooting is his biggest weakness, but he's still joint 16 for open play shots (only 7 shots behind 4th)

Probably my biggest frustration with Bird, he can score goals, the two he scored against Northampton this season were lovely team goals from what I recall and his rocket away at Cheltenham last season was great. However he often seems hesitant to shoot at times. 

5 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

Has he actually said this? I saw the ''2 touch'' quote but didn't see anything about this?

I believe he said in the pre-match interview. He said that Reading were very effective at the high press so we needed to move the ball on quickly before an opposition player got close. Sounds feasible, although he announced a fear of Cheltenham's midfield for the away match, even though at the time it was non-existent! By all accounts from the matchday thread there wasn't much of a press from them on Tuesday either, so it might have been Warne trying to justify minimising the midfield's involvement. 

3 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

You say Bird is our best player full stop …do you actually watch the games ?

4 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

paul, is that you ???

This is our engine room Chris and it should work harder than any positions on the pitch … I do blame Warne for lack of control in games as well because although I get the two touch move it on I don’t always see a forward pass as necessary if a backward pass keeps possession as long as the forward pass was thought of as an option 

watching City when I go to Manchester uni to see my lad they make it look easy and control games overloading areas and outnumbering the opposition but also do the hard bit out of possession and this is where we are lacking in the centre I don’t see Bird as a strong influential type of player but we need one ….its ok looking ok against your Northamptons and Morecambes but its against the Peterborough’s and Portsmouths and Boltons where its most important 

Bird would benefit massively from a strong CM in there and a manager who actually wants to play through the thirds 

1 hour ago, S8TY said:

You say Bird is our best player full stop …do you actually watch the games ?

of course. I wouldn't comment on something i hadn't seen!

Sure he can't run round all game and win every header, which is what warne wants, but in footballing terms he is a level above everyone else. Good teams control games by keeping the ball, not by chasing it all game.

He seemed to take a big step forward over the summer. I quite often feel sorry for him as those around him are not at the same level as him and i have no doubt he wouldn't look out of place in a top 6 champ side.

Why do you think those teams are looking to sign him...

5 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Sure he can't run round all game and win every header, which is what warne wants, but in footballing terms he is a level above everyone else. Good teams control games by keeping the ball, not by chasing it all game.

He seemed to take a big step forward over the summer. I quite often feel sorry for him as those around him are not at the same level as him and i have no doubt he wouldn't look out of place in a top 6 champ side.

You honestly think Leeds Utd and Leicester City are looking to sign Bird ?  Most of their midfield players are worth around £6/7 mill. If you are right , we are in for a good pay day .

6 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Max Bird is the real Marmite Player - 50% don’t rate him and 50% drool over every backward pass . Only he can win the doubters over .

We do have a 'thin spread' of midfield players in the squad.

I'll get my coat.....

19 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

the majority of the squad was put together by rosenior though. 

the only good signings Warne has added to the club so far have been Nelson and Wilson

Nyambe, Vickers, Elder haven’t been bad but I accept the point

He does in fairness seem to have got the best from the likes of NML and Collins as well

3 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

Who’s looking to sign him? 

I think the problem with our midfield is that the players we have don't have clearly defined roles that they are there to carry out. 

Think about some of our best midfields in recent times, for example Eustace/Bryson/Hughes. Eustace would sit in the front of the back four, mop up and play simple passes. Bryson was the engine who would also be making late runs into the box and linking with the wingers. Hughes would play between the lines and look to spray passes around.

They worked together as a unit. You see the same with all the best sides, whether they play a two or a three.

What do we have now? Bird who sometimes sits back and sometimes plays almost as a 10. Hourihane who plays deeper than he used to because he doesn't have the legs to play his old role. Thommo, Fornah and Smith who play different roles every time they come on the pitch, mainly from the bench. 

I'd go as far to say that none of them suit the CDM role naturally and all of them are asked to play there.

I'd like to see us bring in a player who can sit in front of the back four and turn over the ball. Then see Fornah or Thommo play as the midfield engine driving the ball on, and Bird or Hourihane playing between the lines. 

It's all square pegs and round holes at the moment.

3 hours ago, Jram said:

Nyambe, Vickers, Elder haven’t been bad but I accept the point

He does in fairness seem to have got the best from the likes of NML and Collins as well

Nyambe yes i agree

Wildsmith has been and is better than vickers

Elder has had 1 good game and about 10 bad games

In regards to NML & Collins, how do we know anyone else wouldn't get the same out of them...