No midfield control again…

LN747

27 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

So has he ever kept Rotherham up in the Championship?

If his record was as equally good in League 1 than as bad in the Championship then surely he would have 3 promotions and 3 relegations against his name.

17 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

If his record was as equally good in League 1 than as bad in the Championship then surely he would have 3 promotions and 3 relegations against his name.

He also took them down when he was interim Manager in the 2017 season, he took over November time I think. Doesn’t count on some stats though he wasn’t full time.

Edited by Gary Teale

17 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

I say quite successful. You could say ‘very successful’ I would reserve extremely successful for someone who manages to build a team that doesn’t come back down like the titanic? 

anyway that was a small point in my overall post. Why is he persevering with 2 in mid when it’s clear we’re losing the battle ? 

I don't think it's numbers that are the problem. 2 DMs works, provided one of them isn't MB/CH. By all means have both in the side, as long as one of them is in the #10 role. Who would I MOVE/drop? CH. IMO he is no longer suited to the DM role so, based on the goals from the edge of the box he's scored of late, I'd be tempted to have him in the #10 role. I think his goals tally would improve. Also based on recent performances, I'd relieve him of dead ball duty. Bird, Ward, NML and Sibley are all currently better at it than CH.

Just my opinion. Having said that, he will get my backing every second he's on the pitch.

Joining the party late on this thread and haven't read any posts, apologies if there's repetition. My view is that the central midfielders we have in the squad are strong for this level. However, playing just 2 is not enough to get control or play to their strengths.

I think we should be looking at a 4-3-3 which I think would be better suited to our personnel right now and give us another body in the middle of the park to gain control. We could still have width through the front three and overlaps from the full backs.

As it is we don't have numbers to play through the middle so our tactic of 'get it wide' is too predictable and easy to combat.

1 hour ago, RodleyRam said:

Joining the party late on this thread and haven't read any posts, apologies if there's repetition. My view is that the central midfielders we have in the squad are strong for this level. However, playing just 2 is not enough to get control or play to their strengths.

I think we should be looking at a 4-3-3 which I think would be better suited to our personnel right now and give us another body in the middle of the park to gain control. We could still have width through the front three and overlaps from the full backs.

As it is we don't have numbers to play through the middle so our tactic of 'get it wide' is too predictable and easy to combat.

We can all see the problem apart from a certain Mr warne

2 hours ago, MadAmster said:

I don't think it's numbers that are the problem. 2 DMs works, provided one of them isn't MB/CH. By all means have both in the side, as long as one of them is in the #10 role. Who would I MOVE/drop? CH. IMO he is no longer suited to the DM role so, based on the goals from the edge of the box he's scored of late, I'd be tempted to have him in the #10 role. I think his goals tally would improve. Also based on recent performances, I'd relieve him of dead ball duty. Bird, Ward, NML and Sibley are all currently better at it than CH.

Just my opinion. Having said that, he will get my backing every second he's on the pitch.

The main issue is how stretched we are as a team (i.e. the gaps between the lines in the team), as a result of the "get it forward quickly" philosophy we're using.  The problem the midfield 2 are having is when they pick up the ball, the 4 attackers in front of them all start making runs, and half the time the fullbacks do the same, so their only forward passing options are the backs of players shirts as they get further and further away.  So they either have to thread an inch perfect 30 yard pass through 4 defenders, lump a hopeful ball over the top, or play sideways/backwards.  There's no Chris Martin dropping off the front to link the play, no Simon Dawkins drifting in from the wing to give options, no Morten Bisgaard floating around in the AM position looking for the ball, no Mason Mount finding space in the final third etc.  We get the ball and everyone just starts bombing forwards. 

And that's all compounded by the fact that when we do actually get a pass into the forwards, both the central midfielders are expected to quickly get forward and support the attack, and then get back to track runners if they break on us.  That's an insane amount of effort to sustain for anyone, let alone 2 not-exactly-mobile players (one of which is definitely in physical decline) who basically play every minute if they're fit.  So as they've tired over the course of the seasons, we've had more and more games where they don't get forward enough and we're light in attack, or they get caught forwards and teams keep breaking on us, into an empty midfield.  I think that even if you drop/move/whatever Bird or Hourihane out of there, those problems still exist.  (And to be clear, expecting midfielders to support the attack is fine, expecting them to basically sprint continuously between the 2 boxes for 90 minutes is never going to work.)

I think there are definitely ways you can get Bird and Hourihane into the same midfield (with or without another body in there), but the way we're setting up at the moment isn't it.  Rowett had us playing a 424, the 2 DMs just sat while the front 4 tried to win the game - it was a bit negative, but it would probably work for us here.  McClaren had the whole team playing very compact, so there was lots of movement between the lines, lots of passing options available - something more like that that probably works ok with say Liam Thompson in there too.  Huddersfield used to play a 4231 with Jacob Butterfield just standing in the middle of the 3 pinging through-balls to the likes of Sean Scannell, Nakhi Wells etc.  That probably works if you just stick Hourihane (or Bird) there, play loads of balls into his feet 25 yards from goal and get 3 of NML, CBT, Washington, TJJ, Barkhuizen running off him.  There are options, but we don't seem interested in finding them, just trying to recreate Rotherham with players that clearly aren't suited for it.

Playing devils advocate but didnt we just have a run of 10 odd wins in 12 since he moved CH into the deeper role? Have injuries and people going to the AFCON played any part in our last few performances? 

PS I dont like the style of football we play at all and would personally like us to play through midfield where I believe we have 2 of the most technical players in the division, but we cant argue the style has been effective at gets points on the board. We are 3 points off top after a slow start.