Reading v Derby match day thread.

Boycie

5 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

1 loss out of the last 1 game quite alarming 

Im not saying it for that reason even when we have been winning i have said we have been crap. No shots on target is alarming tho!

27 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Disagree to an extent. There are a few people on here, myself included, who have been voicing concerns over the issues we perceived since as early as last season. None of those issues have gone away and the club have done very little to change my mind.

This isn't some mindless knee-jerk reaction. For a lot of people it's simply that there is only so much paper you can put over the cracks before you run out.

Plenty of people advocated for time, which is fair enough, but Warne has had over a year at this point and the same issues keep cropping up.

Derby win - people say "told you Warne is the Messiah"

Derby lose - people say "told you Warne plays dire football and shouldn't be here"

The duality of man.

2 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

Im not saying it for that reason even when we have been winning i have said we have been crap. No shots on target is alarming tho!

Must be doing something right though to be in the position we're in

19 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

Well said but you're wasting your breath some couldn't wait to post their negatively. 

Including Rams TV. Can't believe the rubbish coming out of Barker's mouth when we were clearly playing like prime Barcelona last night. How dare he say we were playing absolutely awful football when we've been winning games recently. What does he know about the game?

Edited by oodledoodle

2 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

Must be doing something right though to be in the position we're in

Decent squad of players for this level who can conjur a moment of brilliance to nick a goal every now and then. We've recruited very well. Saying that I do think the team lacks a leader, and someone who can control the midfield.

We're still in a great position, despite very rarely ever firing on full cylinders. Still plenty to play for. We'll be ok.

15 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

Well said but you're wasting your breath some couldn't wait to post their negatively. 

I doubt any fans were chomping at the bit for a performance like that to post their “negativity”. I don’t understand why posters get vexed at what they see as “negativity”. It’s a negative opinion. That’s all. For example, some posters think  Bird is a waste of space. I think the opposite. But I don’t mind reading peoples opposite views to mine. I don’t wish they’d just be positive about Bird for the sake of it. Applies to players, tactics, management and performances. 

22 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

Derby lose - people say "told you Warne plays dire football and shouldn't be here"

The duality of man.

They don't though, do they? At least not individually. Collectively, maybe.

But there are plenty of posters a bit undecided about the quality of football and about Warne's tactics at the games. Against Burton, against Lincoln, against Reading. Even against Oxford until we launched a storming fight back.

I'm at nearly every game and there are a fair few of the regulars - the ones who encourage for the full 90 minutes, that stay behind and applaud the team regardless of results - that are still feeling ambivalent about Warne's style in particular and whether he is getting the best out of this set of players.

That is telling.

I'm not talking about the ones trooping down the stairs making obscene hand gestures at the few players who dared approach the stands to applaud us, I'm talking about the die-hards. 

47 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

The duality of man.

Or the polarising effect of social media. No one is ever allowed to be neutral anymore, because that’s just too dull. 

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think even Phill Brown would struggle to not finish top 2 with this squad. Someone like Warnock would jump at the chance of managing us thhrough to the end of the season, and it's easy to see him gettting a lot more out of us than we've seen

I said very early in this season that the league quality is so poor this season that most supporters could genuinely have us in the top 6 based on the players we have available- it’s the tactics or complete view off playing in such a poor grade of football - I would be a lot happier if we lost games playing like Peterborough try to play than the garbage we regularly serve up - we have had some good results but hardly any good performances and it gets worrying when management starts to say we played well or decent enough.

For me I would have been very wary of funding such a brand of football as people lose heart (players and fans) and it’s simply not looking into the following season with a view of being good enough because we would be as bad as Sheffield Wednesday have been this season and not an Ipswich 

we have also been fairly dreadful on entertainment this season at home which will affect support 

1 hour ago, Mick Brolly said:

We're 3 points off top spot and you want the bloke sacked by the sound of it that's absolutely comical 

Don’t think anyone wants him sacked, but many (like me) remain unconvinced. 

He’s got the opportunity to make us all look like idiots by getting us promoted and progressively improving Derby into an established Premier League side in time. That’s ultimately the job. I’d be delighted to be wrong. 

22 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Don’t think anyone wants him sacked, but many (like me) remain unconvinced. 

He’s got the opportunity to make us all look like idiots by getting us promoted and progressively improving Derby into an established Premier League side in time. That’s ultimately the job. I’d be delighted to be wrong. 

Are you sure about that? There seem to be a few on this forum.

7 hours ago, Jayram said:

Or maybe get a manager/coach in that understands that a functioning balanced midfield is an alternative to endlessly lumping the ball out wide and into the box in the hope that someone will get on the end of it. Bird isn’t a bad player but is being made to look so by a coach who has no interest in playing football in any way other than his own prehistoric way.

I assume you count the multitude of short simple passes that were terrible last night as endlessly lumping the ball out wide and the keeper and the two defenders on the 6 yard line with the keeper playing silly buggers passing it round ? ,,,, unbelievable 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Reasons to be cheerful

Many teams have sussed our style(such as it is ) this is quite common around the half way point 

We are in a very strong position to make the play offs, which I would have taken at the start

When we have a blip the size of Pompey and Oxford then is the time for flapping

We have new blood in the forward line and every reason to expect a strong run in 

Reasons to flap

My only criticism is that by pushing too hard we are leaving ourselves light at the back and teams are using fast counters to beat us, I would like to see a measured/controlled approach 

Feel free to add to either list 🦍

5 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

All this crap starting to emerge again about style of play after 1 defeat...........................................

4 winnable games coming up now, we move on. 

I think that it s not about "after 1 defeat" since most will be thinking of the poor attacking performance ta Lincoln as well as last night. 

I am sure a few matches ago we were saying that the Lincoln and QPR matches were winnable.

The alarmingly poor performances all over the pitch is exactly what we have seen before. Players were giving the ball away all  the time  and Elder's performance was the only bright spot in a dire match (for us). It became predictable that for so many of the 50-50 balls the Derby player would limply struggle and then lose out. It's Warnes' job to motivate the players and he is clearly failing.  No celebration from me about bringing in another wide player when a goal scorer effective the opposition box is what should be the priority.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

They don't though, do they? At least not individually. Collectively, maybe.

But there are plenty of posters a bit undecided about the quality of football and about Warne's tactics at the games. Against Burton, against Lincoln, against Reading. Even against Oxford until we launched a storming fight back.

I'm at nearly every game and there are a fair few of the regulars - the ones who encourage for the full 90 minutes, that stay behind and applaud the team regardless of results - that are still feeling ambivalent about Warne's style in particular and whether he is getting the best out of this set of players.

That is telling.

I'm not talking about the ones trooping down the stairs making obscene hand gestures at the few players who dared approach the stands to applaud us, I'm talking about the die-hards. 

It's always the fringes of each argument that are the most vocal, I suppose. Meanwhile the normal fans carry on as usual.

14 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Are you sure about that? There seem to be a few on this forum.

I don't want him to be sacked, but I would not be unhappy if he walked tomorrow and we got someone else in. He's doing well enough to be given a crack to the end of the season, if not longer.

The signing of CBT has again underlined the difficult situation he's been faced with. Not being allowed to spend money on players, unless we exploit some weird loan loophole.

But would another manager have got more out of this squad by now? Or last season? I think so. But that's not to say I don't support him and the team.

2 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Disagree to an extent. There are a few people on here, myself included, who have been boring peoples tits off  over the issues we perceived since as early as last season. None of those issues have gone away and the club have done very little to change my mind.

This isn't some mindless knee-jerk reaction. For a lot of people it's simply that there is only so much paper you can put over the cracks before you run out.

Plenty of people advocated for time, which is fair enough, but Warne has had over a year at this point and the same issues keep cropping up.

Ftfy