EFL TROPHY

Now we are out the group stage we should be looking to win this as well as goving fringe players minutes. Warne managed to do it at Rotherham as well as winning promotion, I said at the start of the season we would win the league & this cup & still think we are capable of doing both.

For Tues night it is a good game to give players some much needed minutes & others a rest. We should still be strong enough to win.

Wildsmith - Ward Cashin Bradley Elder - Fornah Thompson Fapetu - Sibley TJJ Barkhuizen

Loach Nelson Forsyth Wilson Bird Robinson Weston Brown Collins

Hopefully one or both Smith & Waghorn are able to be on the bench to get some minutes. If so, have them on the bench over Bird & Collins.

33 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I’m 58. I love watching Derby County. I think we should try and win it. It’s disappointing to me that fans are not supporting it. It’s football. 

Bloody kids.

I'm 63 and will be at Wembley with me Uttoxeter Rams flag acting like a kid on the Popside. I'll meet you for a pint old fella!

The trouble is, it’s a competition that absolutely nobody outside these two divisions gives a s*** about. So the prize money is never going to be worthwhile. 

A much better idea that I’ve been pushing for years would be to combine the EFL Cup and EFL Trophy into one competition - containing all 72 EFL clubs, and excluding the Premier League teams. That way all EFL clubs get a genuine chance of winning a trophy (and hopefully there would be more interest with bigger Championship teams involved), and the Premier League teams get the reduced fixture schedule that they’ve been harping on about for years.

Whilst we’re in the competition though, why on earth would you do anything but try to win it?! It might not be a major honour, but a trophy is a trophy at the end of the day, and this club has been so starved for success in my lifetime that I’d take anything! We should have as good a chance as any team of lifting the trophy at this point.

Cup games like this provide a great chance to get minutes into squad players as well. That doesn’t mean throw our U21s out to the slaughter, it means giving players who normally start on the bench the chance to start a game - and should have more than enough to see off Bradford.

We are going to win this trophy.

The simple reason is that I am going on holiday across the date of the final. We are therefore bound to get to Wembley and bound to win it. We will lift the only cup trophy we will ever win in my lifetime and I won’t be there to witness it. It seems inevitable. 

I hope you all enjoy your day out. 

Winning is a good habit to have & obviously a Wembley final would boost the club coffers. However it must not be to the detriment of the league campaign & in resting key players, we should be giving opportunities to promising Academy players as well as fringe players. 

My criticism of this EFL Trophy campaign is that our starting line ups have been far too strong - in the last round against Fleetwood (5th December), Hourihane, Bird & Cashin all started and Mendez-Laing was brought off the bench for 45 mins. In the run up to a busy Christmas schedule playing a style that requires high energy and intensity (as well as having unchanged teams over the festive period), I thought that was extremely unwise - this in a game with less than 2000 present at PP. Totally OTT.

For the game against Bradford, I don't want any of those 4 starting (ideally with Mendez-Laing given the night off) & would like to see more of Darren Robinson, Fapetu, Weston & Brown as well as full games for Sibley, Elder, Thompson, Ward, Fornah & Bradley. 

It’s not really about the money, although every little helps I’m sure. It’s a competition that offers 2 ‘lower’ clubs an opportunity to play at Wembley. It’s also silverware. Seeing as we’re hopefully not going to be playing in it next season, let’s go and win it this year. We’ve got players on the fringes who are good enough to win it, so it doesn’t matter if there’s some rotation.

13 hours ago, Ellafella said:

I’m 58. I love watching Derby County. I think we should try and win it. It’s disappointing to me that fans are not supporting it. It’s football. 

Do you mean not supporting as in attendance mate? I think that might be a passive thing as a lot of folk are struggling and perhaps it's a bridge to far for some incomes this season. 

As to the OP's point, I seem to swing from one pole to the other in that the risk of injuries bloomin terrifies me, but it'd be grand to see a sea of black and white at Wembley again and of course the cash on offer is certainly is not to be sniffed at. I would like to see some of the fringe players getting time though and perhaps further blooding of one or two young'uns. 

1 minute ago, Comrade 86 said:

Do you mean not supporting as in attendance mate? I think that might be a passive thing as a lot of folk are struggling and perhaps it's a bridge to far for some incomes this season. 

As to the OP's point, I seem to swing from one pole to the other in that the risk of injuries bloomin terrifies me, but it'd be grand to see a sea of black and white at Wembley again and of course the cash on offer is certainly is not to be sniffed at. I would like to see some of the fringe players getting time though and perhaps further blooding of one or two young'uns. 

Yes - it did cross my mind about the economic angle re: affordability so good point. 

For all those interested (Just incase Rams reach the final), it's Sunday 7th April. We are due to play Wycombe (away) on the Saturday, so if we do reach the final that game will be put back. That might fall to our advantage in the promotion race.

5 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

For all those interested (Just incase Rams reach the final), it's Sunday 7th April. We are due to play Wycombe (away) on the Saturday, so if we do reach the final that game will be put back. That might fall to our advantage in the promotion race.

Knowing our luck couhig will get us 3 points docked for failing to complete a fixture...🙄

10 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Play Fornah, Elder, Sibley, have a mix of U21s and players who could do with a rest on the bench (NML Foz) 

go for it. Winning a trophy is winning a trophy - it won’t feel crap watching them lift it at the national stadium when we take 30k down there. 

Will probably only be 29,999 as there was one poster on here said he wouldn't be going while Warne is still here...

In an era of billionaire football clubs, any trophy is a success in my book. Let's face it, we've got a slim chance of winning the big one again. Fa Cup or League Cup possibly although Man City love winning those domestic cups. Any trips to Wembley I'll treasure, that's why I love football. To win a competition will live in the memory forever. Promotions and Wembley, that's what we remember.

13 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

We are going to win this trophy.

The simple reason is that I am going on holiday across the date of the final. We are therefore bound to get to Wembley and bound to win it. We will lift the only cup trophy we will ever win in my lifetime and I won’t be there to witness it. It seems inevitable. 

I hope you all enjoy your day out. 

You and me both! Very disappointed when I saw the final date, but my Rams Wembley record is W1 L3 so it might be for the best.