EFL TROPHY

What's peoples thoughts on this competition, is it a worthwhile venture to be in. It changed sponsors from Papa John Pizza to Bristol Street Motors and some of you might not be aware that the money dropped down. All participating teams still got £20K, but the £10k per win in the group stage was dropped down to £8k. The winners at wembley now will only get £84k instead of £100k.

So far then, Derby pulled in £59k for reaching the 3rd round, if we beat Bradford we get £29.5K for reaching the quarter-finals. Could it be a distraction from concentrating on the league, could key players get injured. We still have Bolton, Peterboro, Portsmouth and Oxford in the competition and all are in the promotion race. Should Paul Warne field a weak side against Bradford, perhaps play some youngsters to avoid burn out and injuries to key 1st teamers (after all, its only £29.5k at stake). It only becomes a good Trophy if you win it and have seen your team at wembley.

5 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

What's peoples thoughts on this competition, is it a worthwhile venture to be in. It changed sponsors from Papa John Pizza to Bristol Street Motors and some of you might not be aware that the money dropped down. All participating teams still got £20K, but the £10k per win in the group stage was dropped down to £8k. The winners at wembley now will only get £84k instead of £100k.

So far then, Derby pulled in £59k for reaching the 3rd round, if we beat Bradford we get £29.5K for reaching the quarter-finals. Could it be a distraction from concentrating on the league, could key players get injured. We still have Bolton, Peterboro, Portsmouth and Oxford in the competition and all are in the promotion race. Should Paul Warne field a weak side against Bradford, perhaps play some youngsters to avoid burn out and injuries to key 1st teamers (after all, its only £29.5k at stake). It only becomes a good Trophy if you win it and have seen your team at wembley.

The money dropped down because they didn’t have a sponsor, they now have a sponsor.

3 minutes ago, oomarkwright said:

Think we have to play a number of youngsters and fringe players. Tommo, elder, bradleh, brown, JJ, Smith if fit, sibbo, couple more U21s etc , either goalie, depending on who he plays next Monday. 

No we don’t.

I expect us to use the game to give minutes to first teamers lacking a bit of match fitness. I can't see any U21s being used with 6 days rest until the following game.

Ward, Bradley, Elder, Thompson, Fornah, Sibley, and Barkhuizen to start. Most likely John-Jules too. Hard to guess who else will start.

11 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

The money dropped down because they didn’t have a sponsor, they now have a sponsor.

Well if the prize monies is back up to what Papa Johns were sponsoring, the winners at wembley will get £100k and so far Derby have banked £70k (that's paid for Warne's collection of bobble hats and the teams xmas bash).

Like any cup competition. Complete waste of time until you magically find yourselves in the last 8 and then at that point you may as well go to win it. 

I guess with us being one of the stronger teams in the trophy maybe it’s a bit more realistic to go for the win from the off. Which I believe is what Warne is going. But I wouldn’t shed any tears over an exit.

I think having a cup competition is excellent for keeping the full 18 fit, giving them extra confidence and blooding a few youngsters. So far this season it's really helped us. Academy players have got game time and for instance, I'm sure Collins' goals in the league were helped by freely scoring in the earlier rounds. 

Like others I'm not going to lose any sleep if we get knocked out. However, I think we've got the squad to cope with an extra 3 potential games after this so I don't get the "play the u21s" thing. Mix up the first teamers for sure - Sibley, Fornah, Thommo, Elder etc but no need to make wholesale changes. We played 57 games last season and ran out of steam. If we make the final, by my reckoning that's 55 games this year. Positive noises about Cash and Bird staying hopefully so with a couple of additions I think we'll be much stronger comparatively heading into the 2nd half of the season. 

28 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

If we win it we will make £310,000 in prize money plus gate receipts, rams tv money and Sky money.

I believe that at least one of the semi-final games gets shown live on tv, and the 2 clubs involved get additional monies.

We are three games away from Wembley.

At this stage, the club should look at the positives. It’s an opportunity for people to play their way into the manager’s thoughts.

We have Vickers, Bradley, Elder, Ward, Fornah, Sibley, Thompson, Barkhuizen, John Jules, Smith and Waghorn who could all do with some much-needed game time and then we have the likes of Robinson, Allen, Fapetu and Brown who could get first team exposure.

The problem we will have is if we get to the final, then who does the manager favour?