Max Bird

Caerphilly Ram

For what it’s worth (not very much!) I think both Bird and Cashin will sign two and a half year deals this month with the proviso both can go for a stipulated fee this summer if the club are not promoted.

That would give the players a bit of security (in case of injury) and higher wages with Derby securing their assets a little better. 

43 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Badly needs to practice his long range shooting. Bobby Charlton drew a 2 foot square on a brick wall 30 yards away and hit it regularly and didn’t look into the heavens while striking it.

Can we have a whip round and someone nip to the shops and get him some chalk ?

41 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Azaz hasn’t really played better than the third division has he? Bird can handle himself in the championship - I wouldn’t be expecting £2 million if we sold Bird in January and nether would any club under the premiership I suspect ( apart from Peterborough)

Azaz has been excellent for Plymouth this season alongside Whittaker, oozes class and they feed off each other brilliantly.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Azaz hasn’t really played better than the third division has he? Bird can handle himself in the championship - I wouldn’t be expecting £2 million if we sold Bird in January and nether would any club under the premiership I suspect ( apart from Peterborough)

Azaz was one of the standout players in Plymouth’s side last year and by the sounds of it has had a pretty good year in the Championship too. They’re the same age, except Azaz was sold by a PL club where fees are often inflated because the clubs aren’t as desperate for the money. If we got anywhere near that fee I’d be happy with that.

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

Azaz was one of the standout players in Plymouth’s side last year and by the sounds of it has had a pretty good year in the Championship too. They’re the same age, except Azaz was sold by a PL club where fees are often inflated because the clubs aren’t as desperate for the money. If we got anywhere near that fee I’d be happy with that.

The other major difference is Azaz was played as a left sided forward last season (in their 3421). This season he's the most advanced of the midfield 3 (433). Boro have robbed Villa though - there's no way he should cost as little as £2m.

4 hours ago, nottingram said:

Selling Bird doesn’t have to be a bad thing. Historically we are poor buyers though so would depend what we did after.

Not sure if we are that bad historically. Perhaps bad when we've splashed the cash, good when funds were limited.

But sellers? Is anyone as bad as us? From Goddard onwards, have we ever sold somone for more than we believed they were worth? Vydra maybe?

3 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Not sure if we are that bad historically. Perhaps bad when we've splashed the cash, good when funds were limited.

But sellers? Is anyone as bad as us? From Goddard onwards, have we ever sold somone for more than we believed they were worth? Vydra maybe?

Dailly, Hendrick, Seth maybe but it was to Leeds, am struggling for other names

28 minutes ago, Poynton ram said:

Dailly, Hendrick, Seth maybe but it was to Leeds, am struggling for other names

Good shouts. Did Dailly go off the back of decent international performances like Jeff?

Seth Johnson was a good price, but it was his wages that sounded the biggest joke from the story of his signing!

Did we get decent money for Saunders and Wright for the time?

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The other major difference is Azaz was played as a left sided forward last season (in their 3421). This season he's the most advanced of the midfield 3 (433). Boro have robbed Villa though - there's no way he should cost as little as £2m.

To Villa it’s probably less hassle to let him go for £2m than hold out for more and nobody else comes in. Plus better for the player to sign permanently as opposed to keep being loaned out, Villa hoping that others will see that they don’t hold players back when recruiting for the academy?

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Didn't we have Leeds' pants down over a certain player , then sign him back on a free ?  

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Ince, Hendrick, Bogle, Christie, Plange, Jozwiak, Luke Thomas, Brayford. Some good sales there where we got peak value. Even Will Hughes was sold for less when he moved on. 

Sales is a mixed picture overall skewed by the fire sales around the periods of administration.

Having said that, selling Goddard was the Derby equivalent of Leeds selling Eric Cantona. Never understood that. 

1 hour ago, The Key Club King said:

Ince, Hendrick, Bogle, Christie, Plange, Jozwiak, Luke Thomas, Brayford. Some good sales there where we got peak value. Even Will Hughes was sold for less when he moved on. 

Sales is a mixed picture overall skewed by the fire sales around the periods of administration.

Having said that, selling Goddard was the Derby equivalent of Leeds selling Eric Cantona. Never understood that. 

I believe Goddard had an agreement that he would be allowed to move back to London if a certain fee was paid.  A favour he was granted as a thanks for turning down Liverpool and coming to Derby.

6 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I half remember an horrific stat after Waghorn left: Derby released 8 players on a free since 2018 who they signed for a fee with a combined loss of (around) 40 million quid 

Blackman, Johnson, butters, waggy, jozefzoon off the top of my head and that’s over 20 mill 

Shows we weren’t the smartest buyers, certainly pre Clowes 

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The club are in discussions woth Bird over a new contract. Worst case is the optional year is activated and we sell him in the summer.

It will be interesting I'm surprised he's not accepted after 2 weeks of having the offer 

21 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Is the stuff about Max rejecting a new contract doing the rounds on Twitter a load of b*******?

I think it’s people taking Warne’s pre match comments about Bird having a contract offer on the table that he’s yet to sign and running with that as “Bird has refused to sign it”.

Further comment then stirred up by Rosenior’s pre-match press conference for Hull in which he said he’s really excited about a deal they have lined up and hope to announce on or before Saturday, but he ended the press conference saying midfield isn’t a priority area they’re looking to strengthen when asked specifically about Bird, mentioned respecting Bird and the club. Noise from my City supporting mates is that they’re in for Ryan Kent and some lad from Burnley. 

14 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The club are in discussions woth Bird over a new contract. Worst case is the optional year is activated and we sell him in the summer.

Has there been mention of an optional year for Bird? I know it was reported for Cashin (and Knight before him) with both subsequently being activated, don’t remember seeing anything for Bird? 

9 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Has there been mention of an optional year for Bird? I know it was reported for Cashin (and Knight before him) with both subsequently being activated, don’t remember seeing anything for Bird? 

I don't believe Bird has this option. 

It'll be compo, sizeable in comparison to most due to his experience and matches played, but less than what we would like i assume.