Max Bird

Caerphilly Ram

9 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Has there been mention of an optional year for Bird? I know it was reported for Cashin (and Knight before him) with both subsequently being activated, don’t remember seeing anything for Bird? 

I swear I saw it reported. Maybe it was just my memory playing tricks with Cashin's option and Bird's situation being mentioned in the same post/article

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I swear I saw it reported. Maybe it was just my memory playing tricks with Cashin's option and Bird's situation being mentioned in the same post/article

I know you’re a details person so wondered if you’d spotted something I’d missed.
It would certainly strengthen our situation if there was an option, just hadn’t seen it mentioned myself. I’m still hopeful he stays either way, or we get promoted and make a renewed attempt to keep him.

21 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I don't think so. 

The reporting I have read is that Bird is unlikely to leave in January because they believe they will get more via the FA compensation scheme if he leaves when his contract expires in the Summer.

The one condition on that is that we have to offer him a new contract on at least the same terms.

10 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I think it’s people taking Warne’s pre match comments about Bird having a contract offer on the table that he’s yet to sign and running with that as “Bird has refused to sign it”.

Further comment then stirred up by Rosenior’s pre-match press conference for Hull in which he said he’s really excited about a deal they have lined up and hope to announce on or before Saturday, but he ended the press conference saying midfield isn’t a priority area they’re looking to strengthen when asked specifically about Bird, mentioned respecting Bird and the club. Noise from my City supporting mates is that they’re in for Ryan Kent and some lad from Burnley. 

Yeah that was my take just wanted to check I hadn’t missed anything. Not signing a contract and keeping your options open is different to rejecting one. Why would he commit at this point? I remember when Roy Keane ran his contract down at United, he signed a new one. 

Im not even sure Hull are in for bird now, they’re definitely trying for a statement signing from premier league or abroad.

Edited by BramcoteRam84

We never seem to get market value for our players - sounds like we're only going to be talking a few hundred thousand whether he goes in the transfer window or the summer. I don't think Bird will ever be a top class player as he doesn't have any standout attributes, but he's definitely proven Championship quality and worth £2-3 million. 

7 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

We never seem to get market value for our players - sounds like we're only going to be talking a few hundred thousand whether he goes in the transfer window or the summer. I don't think Bird will ever be a top class player as he doesn't have any standout attributes, but he's definitely proven Championship quality and worth £2-3 million. 

I haven't got the source, but I distinctly remember someone saying the compensation from tribunal would likely be more than bids we'd receive in January, hence the club's relaxed stance about selling him and not needing to cash in this window. That implies easily 7 figures if true.

45 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

If I remember correctly under FIFA rules we'll be due at least £810k (£90k per year at the club between the ages of 12 and 21). However, this is the minimum amount, with English FA having their own compensation rules. The fact Bird has captained the club and (by the end of the season) played over 200 games for our club, the fee we receive will be higher than the minimum.

I feel his relationship with the club has changed since Warne took over   Would be sorry to see him go but get the feeling it might be best for him. (Tho the football we’re playing now suits him better that the hoofing we were up to early season.) £2m would be a good price on any basis and I’m not sure we’ll quite get that 

3 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

I feel his relationship with the club has changed since Warne took over   Would be sorry to see him go but get the feeling it might be best for him. (Tho the football we’re playing now suits him better that the hoofing we were up to early season.) £2m would be a good price on any basis and I’m not sure we’ll quite get that 

He wants to play higher than league one. It’s that simple. 

12 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

So if we sold Jan should we get a sell-on % but not if he goes for compensation in the summer?

My understanding is that FA set compensation will be made up of an upfront fee, add-ons (ie appearances), and a sell-on percentage.

Based on historic cases, of players 20+, the upfront fee is typically at least 2/3rds of the total amount, and a 20% profit sell-on.

Two cases include our current players.
Collins - 18 months at Shrewsbury before joining Swindon aged 22. His compensation was worth £220k with a 20% sell-on.
Nelson - Released by Stoke at 16, then spent 8 years at Plymouth. After 246 games and 23 years of age, he moved from Plymouth in League 2 to join League 1 Oxford for a deal worth £280k.

Other cases:
Jed Steer - moved from Norwich to Aston Villa shortly before his 21st birthday in a deal which was potentially worth £950k with a 20% sell-on.
Danny Ings - signed for Burnley aged 19 for £1m, then moved to Liverpool at 23. The deal cost £8m (£6.5m upfront) with a 20% sell-on.

As I posted earlier, I'm led to believe FIFA rules mean we are guaranteed at least £810k.

40 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

My understanding is that FA set compensation will be made up of an upfront fee, add-ons (ie appearances), and a sell-on percentage.

Based on historic cases, of players 20+, the upfront fee is typically at least 2/3rds of the total amount, and a 20% profit sell-on.

Two cases include our current players.
Collins - 18 months at Shrewsbury before joining Swindon aged 22. His compensation was worth £220k with a 20% sell-on.
Nelson - Released by Stoke at 16, then spent 8 years at Plymouth. After 246 games and 23 years of age, he moved from Plymouth in League 2 to join League 1 Oxford for a deal worth £280k.

Other cases:
Jed Steer - moved from Norwich to Aston Villa shortly before his 21st birthday in a deal which was potentially worth £950k with a 20% sell-on.
Danny Ings - signed for Burnley aged 19 for £1m, then moved to Liverpool at 23. The deal cost £8m (£6.5m upfront) with a 20% sell-on.

As I posted earlier, I'm led to believe FIFA rules mean we are guaranteed at least £810k.

Never knew the compensation included sell on clauses. That's interesting, and potentially good news for us. Suppose it means there's even less urgency to sell if we're practically guaranteed 7 figures + 20% sell on at the end of the season anyway... that's a remarkably good deal for a player ending his contract with us!

40 minutes ago, Chellaston Ram said:

How much did we end up getting for Buchanan and Ebowi ?

€1.5m was reported for Buchanan as compensation. I'm not sure Ebiowei's has even been decided yet, but they only offered us a measly £30k, which we obviously rejected and so it's gone to tribunal.

5 hours ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

We never seem to get market value for our players

I've just thought about it and the recent exception may well be Luke Plange. He's still young and plenty of time to improve, but looking at what he's done since he left, £1m looks good business to me?

50 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

I've just thought about it and the recent exception may well be Luke Plange. He's still young and plenty of time to improve, but looking at what he's done since he left, £1m looks good business to me?

Yeah, fleeced them for him but they stole Ebiowei who was much better. 

I would be fairly relaxed with allowing Bird to leave for funds to spend. 

He’s a good player technically, but has absolutely struggled to consistently to provide an impact for us. I’ve really like Fornah from what I’ve seen and honestly don’t believe we would lose much, if anything, losing Bird to give him more game time.