Derby vs Leyton Orient

B4’s Sister

30 minutes ago, Sussex Ram said:

Having watched the extended highlights back, a few comments to stir the pot.

Those saying Sibley could/should have laid in Max Bird instead of shooting (and Paul Warne said so in his post match interview), I disagree. When Sibley gets the ball, Bird slows down and doesn’t bomb forward- or turn his head/scan to see their left back moving over fast to cover. A sign to me that Bird isn’t a natural 10. If Sibley releases to Bird there, a goal is very unlikely so I think it’s the right decision. Can’t we just give Sibley credit for a well taken goal?

That is a typical Warne comment. When will he comment again on Sibs being the best finisher in the squad?! I love Birdy to bits (although he had an ordinary day yesterday. Maybe due to where he was asked to play?), but the likelihood of him scoring is the same odds as Smith scoring. Smith who Warne also lauds for his attacking abilities! 😄

Will Sibs stay when being so appreciated, I don't think so. 😞 

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

That is a typical Warne comment. When will he comment again on Sibs being the best finisher in the squad?! I love Birdy to bits (although he had an ordinary day yesterday. Maybe due to where he was asked to play?), but the likelihood of him scoring is the same odds as Smith scoring. Smith who Warne also lauds for his attacking abilities! 😄

I think you're reading far too much into it. 

35 minutes ago, Sussex Ram said:

Having watched the extended highlights back, a few comments to stir the pot.

Those saying Sibley could/should have laid in Max Bird instead of shooting (and Paul Warne said so in his post match interview), I disagree. When Sibley gets the ball, Bird slows down and doesn’t bomb forward- or turn his head/scan to see their left back moving over fast to cover. A sign to me that Bird isn’t a natural 10. If Sibley releases to Bird there, a goal is very unlikely so I think it’s the right decision. Can’t we just give Sibley credit for a well taken goal?

It’s a red card. 3:55 of the RamsTV highlights. You only get a 4 second snippet of the act, so eyes peeled, but the defender does sneak an elbow and (unbelievably) catches Collins flush, despite not being able to see exactly where JC was behind him. 

Those questioning the triple change: personnel wise it seemed like for like rather than defensively minded, with Nelson at full back to replace Ward. At 2-0 they have to press forward, so I am guessing the tactic was to soak that up and counter, with fresh pace of TJJ and Barkz, and NML too. It worked! Almost worked twice (how funny was it to see Bradley among the charge in that final chance?! He looked like he just joined in a run with the lads, no idea where he was going 😂 ). Sometimes inviting pressure late in games backfires, and it can make the fans nervous, but with a two goal cushion you can afford one slip up and it creates chances to kill the game on the break.

James Collins was inches away from two goals today, but fine margins make all the difference- both to the result, and people’s perception of him on this forum. I saw a post from Derby Retweets that said, across English domestic competition, only three players have scored more goals than James Collins since he started his career in 2009/10. Thats Harry Kane (251), Jordan Rhodes (226) and Sergio Aguero (217) all better than JC’s 202. Billy Sharp with 190 and Charlie Austin with 188, for reference. Not bad company… and proof that he DOES score goals. As well as work hard, gets in good positions (mostly) and- crucially- he stays fit. With Wash, Wags And TJJ all either recently or currently injured, I think people simply don’t give JC enough credit. I’m not saying he’s a world beater, and he does miss chances- but he brings a lot to this team in League One.

As soon as the third went in, Warne should have pulled NML for Brown. That’s a very small criticism for Warne after a great run of results, some sound team selections in the face of injury troubles, some slightly better subs, and better tactical play. This is where our squad depth is starting to show and will hopefully separate us from the pack as injuries and suspensions thicken over the busy Christmas period.

I didn’t know B4 personally, but after 5 league wins on the spin I can’t help but think about what he’d be posting on here today. We should enjoy this while it’s good. And hope it stays good.

I agree that Sibley can’t be criticised for taking the shot on mainly because he scored of course but also because he didn’t have the benefit of slo mo and freeze frame. However, I disagree with your opinion of Bird’s position or the likelihood of scoring. IF Sibley had got the pass right (just in front of Bird for him to run on to) and played it early enough then Bird would have been through with just the keeper to beat. The defender was too far out and would not have closed the gap if the pass had been played early enough. Also, if Bird had “bombed forward” then he would either have been offside or it would have been difficult for Sibley to play it in front of him, and get it around their number 5, without it being too close to the keeper.

All if’s but’s and maybe’s. The important thing is the outcome was a good one.

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

As someone who took on a fair amount of criticism for arguing we weren't playing that badly a few weeks ago...I thought we were pretty poor first half tbh.

We constantly gave the ball away and were probably the scrappier of the two teams.

One moment of magic out of nowhere gave us the lead. Orient missed a couple of good chances and so did Collins. 

So imo we were fairly fortunate to be in the lead. A stupid red card really put them in the cart and a sweeping move a minute into the 2nd half suddenly gave us a comfortable situation.

I didn't think we shut them out as well as we could and they alnost got back into it.  They eventually tired and over committed and we then could have scored 4 or 5.

So a strange game really. We could have won even more easily but at times we played quite averagely and all the big moments went our way.

Just as a few weeks ago I was saying we weren't that bad, I'm saying yesterday we weren't that amazing. Little moments are going our way more and we are moving into a great position with more in the tank. 

We can play much better than yesterday - and probably will do and not win, that's football. 

This pretty much sums up my thoughts 👍

Collins 2 misses were cancelled out by their 2 misses, Red card changed the game and we took control but still they had some opportunities, PW didn't look that happy after the win, Still sees things that will be worked on, And in fairness this also goes for all teams, Not seeing DCFC since the opening game I get most of the info off here or the highlights, Posters and some players still saying there's more to come from this squad, A saying that's been said for a couple of months now, Yet we are producing results, Scoring goals and conceding less from "not very convincing displays" 🤷‍♂️

Not hitting a 5th gear or going into overdrive says we're either very fortunate/clinical or the teams we're playing are poor, Now we're only a few weeks away from the transfer window opening, Players will come in and players will go, Getting those right players in will define our season...imo and that could/will be the difference between promotion or another season in League1 

55 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Have you listened to the interview? He praised Sibley plenty as well as making his usual jokey comment, it’s not like he was digging Sibley out or anything 🙄 

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

As someone who took on a fair amount of criticism for arguing we weren't playing that badly a few weeks ago...I thought we were pretty poor first half tbh.

We constantly gave the ball away and were probably the scrappier of the two teams.

One moment of magic out of nowhere gave us the lead. Orient missed a couple of good chances and so did Collins. 

So imo we were fairly fortunate to be in the lead. A stupid red card really put them in the cart and a sweeping move a minute into the 2nd half suddenly gave us a comfortable situation.

I didn't think we shut them out as well as we could and they alnost got back into it.  They eventually tired and over committed and we then could have scored 4 or 5.

So a strange game really. We could have won even more easily but at times we played quite averagely and all the big moments went our way.

Just as a few weeks ago I was saying we weren't that bad, I'm saying yesterday we weren't that amazing. Little moments are going our way more and we are moving into a great position with more in the tank. 

We can play much better than yesterday - and probably will do and not win, that's football. 

I'm not saying we played well and that we are the next Brazil,  but saying a score line flatters us just doesn't make sense to me.

We weren't at our best, but we did score 3 goals. That may well be because they were down to 10 men, but that's not down to luck, that's down to stupidly on their players behalf. 

If they don't score it's down to either poor finishing or our players doing their job and keeping them out. So we win 3-0 because we deserve to.

I haven't seen a replay of their goal that was ruled out, so that could be unfortunate for them and might have made the end of the game more interesting,  but the scoreline still doesn't flatter us.

Trip back to the smoke and a nice performance away from home and 3 more valuable points. I thought we rode our luck a little at times, but by and large we defended well again and the clean sheet will delight Warne and the coaches.

Great to see Sibbo grab a goal. The lad only seems to score beautiful goals and how he squeezed it beyond the keeper but inside the far post is a wonder to me. Zero margin for error and yet made it look simple. I think we'd all love to see the lad hit top form as there's no doubt he brings a goal threat that others don't. I think only Max could match Louie's ball-striking, so come on SIbbo, more of the same please lad!

I'm running out of superlatives for Nate who was yet again, the absolute standout. He's definitely fitter this season (as it appears is the entire squad) and the lad ran hard all game, looked threatening every time he touched the ball and earned himself huge brownie points with me for the unselfish way he put Barks in, perhaps aware that if anyone desperately needed a goal, it was Tom. 

Wilson was again a box of tricks and the little shimmy and drag to glide away from 3 Orient defenders and put Sibbo in was a delight. A quick word too for Max Bird who is starting to look like the player we all thought he could be. He's been majestic in recent outings and again yesterday, some of his passing was sublime.

Warne is then keeping himself in good credit with me and the way we countered yesterday with 4, 5 even 6 bodies busting a gut to get up the pitch was a stark change from early season showings, where we looked off it and even disinterested. Lots of promise, a little more pace and a growing understanding among the players, but still some work to do. That said, I think I'd have been very pleased to sit handy like we are currently, if offered it at the start of the season and I really hope we can maintain the levels and push hard for top 2. We are THE form side in the division currently so I genuinely believe we can, as I think there's still more to come.

COYR

Edited by Comrade 86
typo

24 minutes ago, ossieram said:

That may well be because they were down to 10 men, but that's not down to luck, that's down to stupidly on their players behalf. 

It is luck though - we were lucky that their player was so stupid to launch an elbow for no apparent reason.

Had the sending off been because  we'd had a nice bit of play that forced their player into making a foul it would be different.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

5 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Trip back to the smoke and a nice performance away from home and 3 more valuable points. I thought we rode our luck a little at times, but by and large we defended well again and the clean sheet will delight Warne and the coaches.

Great to Sibbo grab a goal. The lad only seems to score beautiful goals and how he squeezed it beyond the keeper but inside the far post is a wonder to me. Zero margin for error and yet made it look simple. I think we'd all love to see the lad hit top form as there's no doubt he brings a goal threat that others don't. I think only Max could match Louie's ball-striking, so come on SIbbo, more of the same please lad!

I'm running out of superlatives for Nate who was yet again, the absolute standout. He's definitely fitter this season (as it appears is the entire squad) and the lad ran hard all game, looked threatening every time he touched the ball and earned himself huge brownie points with me for the unselfish way he put Barks in, perhaps aware that if anyone desperately needed a goal, it was Tom. 

Wilson was again a box of tricks and the little shimmy and drag to glide away from 3 Orient defenders and put Sibbo in was a delight. A quick word too for Max Bird who is starting to look like the player we all thought he could be. He's been majestic in recent outings and again yesterday, some of his passing was sublime.

Warne is then keeping himself in good credit with me and the way we countered yesterday for 4, 5 even 6 bodies busting a gut to get up the pitch was a stark change from early season showings, where we looked off it and even disinterested. Lots of promise, a little more pace and a growing understanding among the players, but still some work to do. That said, I think I'd have been very pleased to sit handy like we are currently, if offered it at the start of the season and I really hope we can maintain the levels and push hard for top 2. We are THE form side in the division currently so I genuinely believe we can, as I think there's still more to come.

COYR

Very well put, agree with this, for me post of the weekend. 

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Fair enough. 🙄

That’s the point, it is fair enough. Warne as the manager being interviewed post match offered praise where it was due, discussed that there are still some things the team can do better, and showed his usual personality traits that some fans don’t like as is their right, but that’s his character whether we like it or not.

For you to then single one comment out and speculate that Sibley may not stay due to being under appreciated doesn’t tally with what I heard in that interview. If that’s how you interpret it then I suppose that’s fair enough also.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

That’s the point, it is fair enough. Warne as the manager being interviewed post match offered praise where it was due, discussed that there are still some things the team can do better, and showed his usual personality traits that some fans don’t like as is their right, but that’s his character whether we like it or not.

For you to then single one comment out and speculate that Sibley may not stay due to being under appreciated doesn’t tally with what I heard in that interview. If that’s how you interpret it then I suppose that’s fair enough also.

Fair enough. 

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I agree that Sibley can’t be criticised for taking the shot on mainly because he scored of course but also because he didn’t have the benefit of slo mo and freeze frame. However, I disagree with your opinion of Bird’s position or the likelihood of scoring. IF Sibley had got the pass right (just in front of Bird for him to run on to) and played it early enough then Bird would have been through with just the keeper to beat. The defender was too far out and would not have closed the gap if the pass had been played early enough. Also, if Bird had “bombed forward” then he would either have been offside or it would have been difficult for Sibley to play it in front of him, and get it around their number 5, without it being too close to the keeper.

All if’s but’s and maybe’s. The important thing is the outcome was a good one.

And he'd have still contrived to miss.  I'm never going to criticise Sibley for being selfish by taking a shot on rather than passing to Bird.  Look at their respective goal returns.  Despite a lack of minutes Sibley is always able to find the net and score important goals.  Bird is the polar opposite.

6 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Couldn't tell at the time and even the highlights didn't make it clear, but seeing that, it's a proper cheap shot and a red card all day long. 

Fantastic officiating it has to be said. I think the 4th official did a lot with it too, you can see the referee looking at the touchline a lot when he’s coming over after giving the foul. 

1 minute ago, Blondest Goat said:

And he'd have still contrived to miss.  I'm never going to criticise Sibley for being selfish by taking a shot on rather than passing to Bird.  Look at their respective goal returns.  Despite a lack of minutes Sibley is always able to find the net and score important goals.  Bird is the polar opposite.

They're completely different players so comparing goal output is an irrelevant distraction. Both lads are highly talented, they just do different things.