Glass half full!

Paultheram

2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Ah the classic, “that’s your opinion” argument that’s always rolled out when someone doesn’t have anything proper to say back. I could make exactly the same point about your opinion that Warne is doing a good job, but I won’t because it’s stupid and defeats the object of a forum.

And it’s not a veiled criticism at all. I’m happy to say, outright, that I do not believe David Clowes is doing a very good job at running Derby County at present. That’s not a criticism of the man, who will always be a hero for saving the club, but a criticism of his decision making. Im not calling for his head, of course not, but he’s not immune from debate. 

Replacing a young, likeable, tactically astute coach in Rosenior with a footballing dinosaur in Paul Warne, who it is now clear is not capable of managing a big club and is personally disliked by a growing portion of the fanbase, appears now to be an absolute disasterclass of a decision, almost out the Mel Morris book. That sounds harsh, and it is, because we can only see this now with the benefit of hindsight - at the time it looked a good move based on Warne’s track record, so I do feel for Clowes, I really do. But he HAS to bite the bullet and correct his mistake. Another two years of this and we’ll still be in the godforsaken league, with dwindling crowds and an ever weakening squad. Warne has it way too comfortable at the moment, which his performance does not deserve.

The lack of clear vision is also concerning. We’ve brought in aging old players, and have shown no desire at all to give academy prospects a chance. Our recruitment does not appear to have improved since Morris either, with players like Bradley and Washington taking a significant portion of the budget and contributing precious little. 

All in all, a sub par performance as chairman so far I’m afraid.

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Which, coincidentally, is also known as a point of the season where nothing has been decided, ever, in the history of football.

Hmmm... Not so sure about that? 🤷‍♂️

Didn't Florist get promoted from The Championship one September not so long back?  Admittedly, I think they came straight back down again... within a week, if I recall... but that's not to say it never happened!

👀

40 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Ah, so we have to give Paul Warne the entire season then, irrespective of how we’re performing at any midway point? Righto. I’m sure all football owners agree with you, and no manager has ever been sacked for poor performance mid season.

You’ll no doubt be able to find a couple of rare examples but I’m not sure many sane football owners would think about sacking the manager when the team, at this stage of the season, is sitting outside of the play off positions on goals scored alone even if the bookies did had the team as favourites for auto’s.

49 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Ah, so we have to give Paul Warne the entire season then, irrespective of how we’re performing at any midway point? Righto. I’m sure all football owners agree with you, and no manager has ever been sacked for poor performance mid season.

If the aim is to make the play offs at the very least then I think only and idiot, or some of the posters on here, would sack the manager at this stage of the season when we are in the play off places if we win our game in hand.

And to be honest, I don't really care if all football owners agree with me or not, ultimately its their money and their call. Not sure football owners have any more knowledge than the fans, look what happened when Mel Morris fired Paul Clement and what is happening this season at Birmingham for 2 good of examples why club owners do not always know best...

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

It's an objective measure of our performance. Why do you pretend to miss the point? 

Unless things are going really well or really bad I dont pay much attention to the league table. 

Having looked this morning I note that we have played all of the 6 teams above us already and are still within touching distance of the top 2 after what, we are told, is an awful start to the season, where league performances have definitely improved in recent weeks...

14 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

You’ll no doubt be able to find a couple of rare examples but I’m not sure many sane football owners would think about sacking the manager when the team, at this stage of the season, is sitting outside of the play off positions on goals scored alone even if the bookies did had the team as favourites for auto’s.

There’s certainly some examples out there, though how sane you take the owners is of course up for debate. We scaled Clement while in 5th, McClaren after finishing 8th. Birmingham sacked Eustace in 6th. Not saying any of those are the correct decision - but the main point is, the end of the season isn’t the only time you can judge a manager.

For what it’s worth - I prefer to look at it this way. Manchester City are favourites for the Premier League title. If they found themselves in 7th place, and out of the champions league in the group stage (roughly equivalent to our FA cup and League cup first round exits), would Guardiola be under pressure? Even with his incredible record, I think questions would be being asked. And Warne hasn’t built up anywhere near the same level of respect.

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

If the aim is to make the play offs at the very least then I think only and idiot, or some of the posters on here, would sack the manager at this stage of the season when we are in the play off places if we win our game in hand.

And to be honest, I don't really care if all football owners agree with me or not, ultimately its their money and their call. Not sure football owners have any more knowledge than the fans, look what happened when Mel Morris fired Paul Clement and what is happening this season at Birmingham for 2 good of examples why club owners do not always know best...

The aim shouldn’t be to make the playoffs, that’s the point - it should be to make the top 2. I agree if we were in this position last season, in a much tougher position where top 6 was the aim, but the quality this season is god awful, and we should be comfortably top 2 come the seasons end.

If we gave managers a full season like you suggest we have to, we’d have left Nigel Pearson in charge and got relegated in 2017. Sounds like a great plan.

We're currently sitting 7th on 27 points after 16 games, 30 games left with 90 points to play for, If we can't manage 55 points from those games which will take us to 82 points and a good shout for a play off place...then at the end of this season PW either walks as a failure or DC sacks him as there will be another rebuild and I wouldn't trust PW for another season in charge.

I believe PW is here for this seasons end...unless something catastrophic happens with our results, January is going to be very interesting indeed, Another season in this division with the money that's on offer in the Championship...to get better players in will be more difficult...imo.

2 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

We're currently sitting 7th on 27 points after 16 games, 30 games left with 90 points to play for, If we can't manage 55 points from those games which will take us to 82 points and a good shout for a play off place...then at the end of this season PW either walks as a failure or DC sacks him as there will be another rebuild and I wouldn't trust PW for another season in charge.

I believe PW is here for this seasons end...unless something catastrophic happens with our results, January is going to be very interesting indeed, Another season in this division with the money that's on offer in the Championship...to get better players in will be more difficult...imo.

What did you think towards the end of last season when we 'failed' to get into the Top 6. No-one thought that was going to happen - there's a 'promote us now' thread sunk somewhere on the board.

We all assume that won't happen again, but where is the evidence to support that? Sales of rose-tinted glasses are soaring, is that it? 😉 😄

36 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Unless things are going really well or really bad I dont pay much attention to the league table. 

Having looked this morning I note that we have played all of the 6 teams above us already and are still within touching distance of the top 2 after what, we are told, is an awful start to the season, where league performances have definitely improved in recent weeks...

The point is that we've not been good enough to be a playoff side with a third of the season up, clearly highlighting the need for plenty of improvement. It's a valid discussion to have is it not? 

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What did you think towards the end of last season when we 'failed' to get into the Top 6. No-one thought that was going to happen - there's a 'promote us now' thread sunk somewhere on the board.

We all assume that won't happen again, but where is the evidence to support that? Sales of rose-tinted glasses are soaring, is that it? 😉 😄

Season 19 Nbc GIF by SVU

6 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just for a bit of balance, Portsmouth have yet to lose a game this season and are only top by 1 point and 5 points ahead of 5th place. 

Perhaps just a bit of consistency would make me happy. 

Consistency in results, performances, what he says - but unfortunately everything he says and does doesn’t fill me with any confidence. 

There’s so many mixed messages you don’t know what to believe. 

39 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

There’s certainly some examples out there, though how sane you take the owners is of course up for debate. We scaled Clement while in 5th, McClaren after finishing 8th. Birmingham sacked Eustace in 6th. Not saying any of those are the correct decision - but the main point is, the end of the season isn’t the only time you can judge a manager.

For what it’s worth - I prefer to look at it this way. Manchester City are favourites for the Premier League title. If they found themselves in 7th place, and out of the champions league in the group stage (roughly equivalent to our FA cup and League cup first round exits), would Guardiola be under pressure? Even with his incredible record, I think questions would be being asked. And Warne hasn’t built up anywhere near the same level of respect.

I don’t think you can seriously compare our status in league 1 with Man City’s in the premier league or our cup exits to them falling at the first hurdle in the Champions League. If we could demonstrate the dominance in the lower leagues that they have in the PL (won it 5 out of the last 6 seasons. Only finished outside of the top 2 twice in the last fifteen seasons) you might well have a case.

Edited by Tamworthram

12 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I don’t think you can seriously compare our status in league 1 with Man City’s in the premier league or our cup exits to them falling at the first hurdle in the Champions League. If we could demonstrate the dominance in the lower leagues that they have in the PL (won it 5 out of the last 6 seasons. Only finished outside of the top 2 twice in the last fifteen seasons) you might well have a case.

The point is we SHOULD be as dominant as them this season in this league. As I’ve emphasised many times, it’s truly f****** awful. The gap between this and the championship is huge. It’s probably the worst league one in years, we absolutely should be dominating it with the quality at our disposal.