Crewe Alexandra versus Derby County - Match Day Thread ( FA Cup 1st Round )

S8TY

10 minutes ago, Sheff Ram said:

I find all this abuse of Warne at the match heard on the TV coverage and on social media really embarrassing and detrimental to us as a club. I've never know so much ire directed at a Derby manager before in my life. Can we all stop moaning and just support our team? We've been through the mill as a club and some fans need to realise we aren't just going to 'piss the league'. This constant tirade against our manager is really tiring.

The 6-1 away defeat at Coventry stands out as the most vitriolic abuse I have ever heard against a Rams manager, I felt sorry for Phil Brown that day.

5 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Does every cross we do only go to the near post where we have no one 

If that is the case, maybe at least one of our players should running to the near post, rather than hiding in the middle of the defenders. 

4 minutes ago, MaltRam said:

At no stage did Crewe ever look like the team from a higher division.

We bossed the ball for 90 minutes, but for 85 of them we never looked like scoring or when we did get carve a sight of goal we fluffed it.

Where we annoyed the bejesus out of me was with yet another pair of soft, soft goals conceded out of low danger situations. Teams have always got a chamce against us, especially if we don't score early and they can stay compact and wait for the c***-up.

We got out of jail. Bring on err, Wolves youth team. Sigh.

I thought their first goal was the result of a fantastic cross that was very difficult to defend. Second one was poor.

19 minutes ago, Sheff Ram said:

I find all this abuse of Warne at the match heard on the TV coverage and on social media really embarrassing and detrimental to us as a club. I've never know so much ire directed at a Derby manager before in my life. Can we all stop moaning and just support our team? We've been through the mill as a club and some fans need to realise we aren't just going to 'piss the league'. This constant tirade against our manager is really tiring.

You started going after Brown and Jewell I assume.

I've not seen anyone say Derby are going to piss the league unless it's in jest.  I have seen plenty say that Top 2 should be a target and Top 6 is a minimum requirement, having a management team with enough tactical nous to traverse those 3 games should we get a playoff place.  Based on the agricultural football and general poor quality of 75% of this division where they just sit behind the ball, finding a variety in selection, a bit of craft and some in game management to dig out results shouldn't be that tricky with the players in the building.

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

You started going after Brown and Jewell I assume.

I've not seen anyone say Derby are going to piss the league unless it's in jest.  I have seen plenty say that Top 2 should be a target and Top 6 is a minimum requirement, having a management team with enough tactical nous to traverse those 3 games should we get a playoff place.  Based on the agricultural football and general poor quality of 75% of this division where they just sit behind the ball, finding a variety in selection, a bit of craft and some in game management to dig out results shouldn't be that tricky with the players in the building.

You presume very wrong. I started going under Colin Addison.

Thought we more than deserved a replay today due to our domination for large parts of it. Until they scored thought we played some decent stuff, don’t know how we weren’t winning. They score from literally nothing due to several poor pieces of defensive play from ourselves then we lost our way. 

Went gung ho second half chances to score but then done by a counter. The lads kept plugging away but just didn’t think it would happen, I was about to leave when Mendez is gifted a goal by their keeper and then we score a fantastic goal to equalise and potentially could’ve won it. 

Credit to the lads today for keeping going, I enjoyed the domination the winning the ball back and continued attacks. Crewe had to defend heroically which they did. 

However - the predictability of our play was mind boggling at times. 62 crosses into the box, 61 times Crewe dealt with it. The same tactic again and again and again. Then touches in the box, we were trying to literally walk and run through defenders in the box, when we did work openings we were wasteful - Barkhuizen in particular. 

We take the replay and move on, think some of the criticism and vitriol towards Warne is OTT again but his tactical limitations were very evident today. 

Barnsley is another massive game and will be the acid test of what this side can do this season 

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

I didn’t watch the game, but I believe we had something like 700 passes and 30-odd shots at goal with almost 80% possession. 

I thought the majority wanted Warne out because we didn’t play in that manner more often? It’s hard for a manager to have total control over situations in football games, it’s not FIFA, all he can really do is set up a team in a way that generates the most possession, opportunities and the players are liable for the rest. 

Again, without watching the game, but just looking at the box score, I’m not sure how you can blame Warne for this?

The issue was we never looked threatening or as if we were going to score. Until a goalkeeping howler on the 88th minute. We brought the ball forward, made sure we worked it out onto the wing rather than (heaven forbid) going through the middle and shooting, and then chipped the ball into the box for Crewe to head away. That was the majority of the game. Eventually we also shot, but really badly, as if we weren't concentrating or interested. Never testing the keeper.

Yes, in many ways it was better because we had a lot of control of the football against a mix of the Crewe reserve and youth teams. But fair criticism of Warne is that he has set us up to play in this toothless fashion, without goalscorers. For instance, what was Korey Smith doing playing in midfield, who I think has scored one goal in the last decade or something? Warne's substitutions, instead of changing it at half-time, weren't until the 70th minute when he brought on two right backs and a central defender, and took one striker off to bring another striker on.

The manager got out of jail at the end. And afterwards said he was delighted with the performance and still would have been if we'd lost 2-0.

Having reflected on it, today was more irritating than disaster, i wouldn't have been happy if we'd lost 2 nil - it's the lack of creativity in forward areas that just does your head in. They tried. The did what they'd been told to do. But really, just cross-clearance-cross-clearance-defensive f*** up-cross clearance.

5 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Having reflected on it, today was more irritating than disaster, i wouldn't have been happy if we'd lost 2 nil - it's the lack of creativity in forward areas that just does your head in. They tried. The did what they'd been told to do. But really, just cross-clearance-cross-clearance-defensive f*** up-cross clearance.

“Here comes @RadioactiveWaste in a brand new car………”

If it does your head in, don’t watch it, you could have watched Rangers v Hearts instead, and reflect on Rangers and Celtic being the top two sides in Scotland because they have millions more pounds to spend than the others and end up winning most things except when the odd other team win the occasional cup. You might even miss the excitement of watching Derby County play, knowing that you never know what you are going to get.

Derby County don’t have millions to spend, we nearly disappeared off the face of the earth, and several months later, some of our fans think or expect that we should be winning the league, be at least in the top 6 in November and automatically beating a side on form from a different league in an FA Cup game, even though we’ve watched many other managers, head coaches at Derby County get knocked out of cups by lesser teams and not come back in games when 2-0 down.

The Undertones currently at the club are undertones but what else can you do if the girls don’t like it?

Don’t watch it, don’t switch your TV’s on to watch it, don’t go to the games home and away, watch something else that makes you happier, watch another team that can spend millions of pounds on players that still might lose now and again, still might lose or draw in the cup now and again, it really is simple folks, if you don’t like it, I’m sure you could find something else to do?

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Warne would have. Said in the interview, even if we'd lost 2 or 3 nil he'd have still been delighted as the performance was apparently 'excellent'.

3 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I didn’t watch the game, but I believe we had something like 700 passes and 30-odd shots at goal with almost 80% possession. 

I thought the majority wanted Warne out because we didn’t play in that manner more often? It’s hard for a manager to have total control over situations in football games, it’s not FIFA, all he can really do is set up a team in a way that generates the most possession, opportunities and the players are liable for the rest. 

Again, without watching the game, but just looking at the box score, I’m not sure how you can blame Warne for this?

Crewe were so deep that they had no out ball, and they applied very little pressure on the defence so there was no need for any long balls, which is partly why Derby dominated the ball so much.

It’s hard to gauge. Derby won’t have another away game like this all season. Crewe weren’t just playing as underdogs, they set up like they were playing a PL side and it resembled an attack vs defence training exercise.

I think we can be disappointed we didn’t make the most of our complete freedom to attack at will. It seemed like the players haven’t been trained well in attacking patterns. All we did was get it out wide and swing crosses in. 

David Moyes adopted a similar approach with Man Utd. They broke the record for number of crosses in a game against Fulham. It was very similar to that. Just constant swinging the ball into the box to no avail.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-united-break-premier-league-6689087

Incidentally both goals came from passing it rather than just a hopeful lob into the box.

8 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I thought their first goal was the result of a fantastic cross that was very difficult to defend. Second one was poor.

It was a fantastic cross that was easy to attack when the defender isn’t watching where you are and where you’re going next

10 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

My logic on that is that the longer we spend in League One playing a (mostly) poor brand of football the more fans will drift away, the less revenue the club will generate (gates, merch, TV rights etc) and the quality of player we are able to attract will diminish. We could slip in to a cycle of long term decline that I think is avoidable.

If the above comes to pass then Clowes will be the man responsible for plugging the gap.

I'm pretty sure Championship teams lose much more money than League One teams.

2 hours ago, Brammie Steve said:

No,..non..nein…nyet

I think Donald (or even Michael) might have run some of our players close in terms of crossing ability - certainly no Gladys among them - but I totally agree about the lack of a striker to convert any crosses, let alone one who would turn a nothing cross into a chance through bravery and determination.