Crewe Alexandra versus Derby County - Match Day Thread ( FA Cup 1st Round )

S8TY

Haven’t read through the thread so probably an unpopular opinion, but I thought in the main we played well. Certainly better, even at 2-0 down, than in some recent league games.

The game showed up very well where we are strong and where we need to strengthen. Our approach play was excellent. Warne cannot legislate for Foz falling asleep or Bradley being unable to hold off his man. Or some of the poor quality pull backs from promising attacks. We all know we need a decent striker in the window. If cashin goes we will need a first choice centre half as well. We should have had the game with by half time but we didn’t, and as soon as we gifted them the second they just parked the bus.

To be able to play through 11 human beings camped in their area it requires the technical skill of a good Premiership team - as I type this watch how Liverpool are struggling to get through Luton - as we are a reasonable to good league one team.

Rather than just moan and think we should be smashing a team who are good as at least a quarter of league one teams, I’d praise the fact that they stuck at it and managed to get a result which looked highly unlikely at 88 mins. 

11 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

That being said, he was prime Maldini compared to Forsyth who completed a day of total ineptitude by allowing a ball travelling at the pace of a snail to go under his foot on the touchline.  

That was Forsyth at his most sagacious.
He knew we'd got time to equalise, but feared the few seconds after that, so he got his time-wasting in early.

Personally, I'd give him a medal.  We could have thrown that mighty come-back away if it wasn't for this event that will eternally be referenced in history books as "The Forsyth Foresight Saga"!   

👀

Asked for his assessment of the game, Warne said: "We got away with one but I felt as if we didn't at least get a draw they would have got away with one because I thought we were smoking them.

I thought we played really well and I am hugely disappointed we didn't stop the cross (first Crewe goal) and it was poor defending from us. I've been involved in a lot of games where you're in the ascendancy all it takes is one opportunity when you're not mentally sharp and that caused a problem for us.

But we had some unbelievable chances and it didn't feel like it was going to go in. That's the truth. I was disappointed with the second goal we conceded. But the lads kept going and in certain games this year we've been a bit questioned, but I thought they answered the questions today.

Even if we'd lost 2-0 and I know the fans will think I'm off my nut, but I would have still been proud of the performance. I was. But I generally thought we played really well and controlled the game. But to get a draw feels like a win, even though I know it isn't. We're still in the hat and now we have another game in a few days' time."

1 hour ago, littleover ram said:

I never want Derby to lose but might have taken that if it guaranteed Warne out…

The problem is, we're not in a 'guaranteeing guarantees' position. We are trying to recover from the second-worst position in our club's history (we were once just five minutes away from being would up before Maxwell bailed us out), and sacking the manager is something that David Clowes, because of the huge cost which that would entail, is unlikely to contemplate (last resort notwithstanding).

15 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

There were definitely players he could have bought, I’ve been told he turned down the chance to sign Alfie May because he wasn’t up to his “character” standards. He’s scored 11 goals for Charlton already.

There was a good chat on Radio Derby about him after the match.  Apparently he wanted a decent amount of money and a 3yr deal, which led onto the point that if we were to get promoted we'd be stuck with another 30+ yr old thats not good enough for the Championship whilst we're trying to live within our means.

We're in a tricky situation, we need players to get out of the division but don't want to be lumbered with them if we go up.  The days of simply chucking more money at it are gone. 

Ideally you'd have a youth academy producing players but that obviously had most of the talent stripped during administration. I know the football is a bit desperate at times but I'm still willing to be patient due to the fact that as a club we aren't equipped to really progress yet, we're still in the recovery period shopping in the bargain basement bin and waiting for a new crop of youngsters to develop.

1 minute ago, maxjam said:

There was a good chat on Radio Derby about him after the match.  Apparently he wanted a decent amount of money and a 3yr deal, which led onto the point that if we were to get promoted we'd be stuck with another 30+ yr old thats not good enough for the Championship whilst we're trying to live within our means.

We're in a tricky situation, we need players to get out of the division but don't want to be lumbered with them if we go up.  The days of simply chucking more money at it are gone. 

Ideally you'd have a youth academy producing players but that obviously had most of the talent stripped during administration. I know the football is a bit desperate at times but I'm still willing to be patient due to the fact that as a club we aren't equipped to really progress yet, we're still in the recovery period shopping in the bargain basement bin and waiting for a new crop of youngsters to develop.

So we chucked the money at Bradley instead? Goals cost money, always have. We could have sold him on if he'd scored us to promotion. 

1 hour ago, DRBee said:

We are slow and predictable   ... and could easily have lost this game. Crewe surrendered possession  to us. Sibley and or Wilson should have been brought on earlier  to provide more variety in our attack. . The large number of shots could been seen as negative given as so many of the crosses and shots we had were ineffective, predictable  often not on target and caused their goalkeeper no problems  until the very end.. 

they could be seen as a negative if you are determined to see them as a negative. 

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Asked for his assessment of the game, Warne said: "We got away with one but I felt as if we didn't at least get a draw they would have got away with one because I thought we were smoking them.

I thought we played really well and I am hugely disappointed we didn't stop the cross (first Crewe goal) and it was poor defending from us. I've been involved in a lot of games where you're in the ascendancy all it takes is one opportunity when you're not mentally sharp and that caused a problem for us.

But we had some unbelievable chances and it didn't feel like it was going to go in. That's the truth. I was disappointed with the second goal we conceded. But the lads kept going and in certain games this year we've been a bit questioned, but I thought they answered the questions today.

Even if we'd lost 2-0 and I know the fans will think I'm off my nut, but I would have still been proud of the performance. I was. But I generally thought we played really well and controlled the game. But to get a draw feels like a win, even though I know it isn't. We're still in the hat and now we have another game in a few days' time."

I think that's a fair assessment.