January Reinforcements

sage

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

Because he can't move. He could have 35 yards of open grass and he would treat it like a free kick. He slows the play down massively and turns it into walking football. He is a turnstile out of possession who lets anyone and everyone past him with minimal effort. His idea of closing down is a slow jog to five yards away and then pointing for a team mate. His stats are massively inflated by taking every single set piece we have when he's on the pitch.

Clearly he can still strike a ball, but not sure the deficiencies he has that we have been unable to cover up, are worth it at this point. Maybe if he can play less minutes he can play at a higher tempo for shorter periods... but I'm not sure it's a fitness thing. He seems like a end of career Bryson in that regard, where he could probably run all day, but he's not athletic enough to twist and turn with any short-area quickness anymore.

He’s never had much pace and needs to be further up the field where his defensive duties are less. He should be in the team for his creativity rather than doing a 20k school cross country every game with Warne following him in his car with a fag in mouth. Did Matt Le Tissier ever tackle anyone ?

1 minute ago, hintonsboots said:

He’s never had much pace and needs to be further up the field where his defensive duties are less. He should be in the team for his creativity rather than doing a 20k school cross country every game with Warne following him in his car with a fag in mouth. Did Matt Le Tissier ever tackle anyone ?

With all due respect, this isn't the 90s anymore. Football is different.

Being further up the pitch is fine, but he can't manipulate the ball, he doesn't have half a yard to get round anyone, playing with his back to goal to receive the ball in an attacking area isn't in his wheelhouse.. the only thing he can do is arrive on the edge of the box with that sweet left foot. Again, just not sure that's worth it when we could get so much more from the entire team with a different player in there.

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

It would be, but how far down the list are we if that's the option we are looking at for our striking issues. May as well just have Lennon Wheeldon on the bench or something if that's what it would be for.

That's true. I suspect they may just be 'on the list' rather than active targets. If Collins continues as he is, he'll be first choice for the remainder of the season anyway, and convincing established players to join as backup is tricky, so I get the thinking- if that player in the squad is going to get limited minutes, that player may as well be a randomer and we can loan Brown out to somewhere he'll actually play regularly? 

8 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

Do we think a swap deal for Fornah and Jonson Clarke-Harris is a possibility or am I dreaming?

Lose a younger player with potential for an older player on loads of money who isn’t guaranteed to score outside of that posh side? 

15 minutes ago, Srg said:

With all due respect, this isn't the 90s anymore. Football is different.

Being further up the pitch is fine, but he can't manipulate the ball, he doesn't have half a yard to get round anyone, playing with his back to goal to receive the ball in an attacking area isn't in his wheelhouse.. the only thing he can do is arrive on the edge of the box with that sweet left foot. Again, just not sure that's worth it when we could get so much more from the entire team with a different player in there.

We’ll have to agree to disagree then mate. Will be interesting to see how it pans out. UTR.

20 minutes ago, EraniosSocks said:

A name I’ve not seen said yet, Niall Ennis? Was linked with Bolton but they look like they are signing a lad from Bristol 

He’s going Barnsley 

24 minutes ago, EraniosSocks said:

A name I’ve not seen said yet, Niall Ennis? Was linked with Bolton but they look like they are signing a lad from Bristol 

3 minutes ago, Topram said:

He’s going Barnsley 

This account allegedly being a freelance EFL journalist has recently said we’re possibly in for Ennis. Take with a pinch of salt of course 

36 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Lose a younger player with potential for an older player on loads of money who isn’t guaranteed to score outside of that posh side? 

Lose a fringe player in an area of the pitch with lots of options, and gain a proven goalscorer to add to our threadbare forwards?

Yes, 100% if we have to move out to bring in. Our focus right now has to be on getting out of this league 

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Am I crazy for being genuinely annoyed if we get rid of Fornah? Hopefully, it's all nonsense and he's going nowhere, but if he does go, I'd be so frustrated.

I think most fans think he'll come good. I also think I'm an outlier in thinking he should be moved on, but that's mostly because when we signed him I had the opinion that he "isn't much of an improvement over Smith (if any at all)" and haven't seen enough to change my opinion. I can recall 2 games where he made an impact - I think it was the Cambridge home game where he mopped up everything in midfield, and the Bistol Rovers game where he came off the bench to assist our last minute winner. His performances since then have lacked effort, topped off by walking back when Bradford were breaking up the field.

I am perhaps being a tad harsh on him, as looking through his match ratings when given conssitent starts in the absense of Bird and/or Hourihane, he did quite well. We've also only lost 2 games which he started in - his first start for Derby was against Bolton when Wildsmith got sent off, and the other was against Shrewsbury when we was brought off at half time (score was 0:0 and we went on to lose).

I can see why Fornah may be frustrated with not being given more starts, which will have been a cause for his recent poor displays when given a rare opportunity in the team

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think most fans think he'll come good. I also think I'm an outlier in thinking he should be moved on, but that's mostly because when we signed him I had the opinion that he "isn't much of an improvement over Smith (if any at all)" and haven't seen enough to change my opinion. I can recall 2 games where he made an impact - I think it was the Cambridge home game where he mopped up everything in midfield, and the Bistol Rovers game where he came off the bench to assist our last minute winner. His performances since then have lacked effort, topped off by walking back when Bradford were breaking up the field.

I am perhaps being a tad harsh on him, as looking through his match ratings when given conssitent starts in the absense of Bird and/or Hourihane, he did quite well. We've also only lost 2 games which he started in - his first start for Derby was against Bolton when Wildsmith got sent off, and the other was against Shrewsbury when we was brought off at half time (score was 0:0 and we went on to lose).

I can see why Fornah may be frustrated with not being given more starts, which will have been a cause for his recent poor displays when given a rare opportunity in the team

I agree. He jogs round the pitch like he’s not sure where he should be and he is awkward trying to trap a ball.

Can see why Forest offloaded.

Would be delighted if he turned things around but sometimes players and clubs don’t fit.