January Reinforcements

sage

3 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Peterborough signing  a Brentford winger on loan so they’ve strengthened.

Only added depth. Mason-Clarke and Poku will still be their starters. Olakigbe will be a bench option alongside their only other winger (Ajiboye). We've strengthened our winger options more than them.

15 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

But we will have a bigger budget than at least 20 other teams in this division this season (I think we're top 2). Why do we need to take a bigger risk than them?

Doesn't matter how big the budget is if we're having to work within an EFL budgeting framework.

I'm not too stressed about us bringing anyone in, honestly. It seems like we're struggling to highlight players who can make then team better and that's a concern. I'd love to see what Mark Thomas has been doing for the past 12 months - there is clearly a disconnect between him and Warne that needs addressing. 

If we're waiting around to see what Michael Smith is going to do, like he's the only striker in the world who can improve us, then the whole recruitment strategy needs binning. 

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Saw that one earlier, clearly a nonsense account with nowt better to do, BUT I wouldn’t be against the signing as someone suggested the other day

Out of contract in the summer but he would still be a risky signing. He was playing in the Welsh leagues up until last season. He only scored 2 L2 goals last season, but has hit form this season, scoring more this year than he ever has done in the Welsh Leagues

According to the DET Warne wants a striker and a midfielder, but the latter is dependant on someone leaving.  That would be a very good window in my opinion.  If there are no arrivals or departures, not ideal but we’ve had worse windows.  And we do have lots of players to come back for the final third.

A striker in and no one else in or out would be good.  The thing with a striker is we’re likely to get someone who isn’t playing, like Smith, which means they’ll need minutes to get up to speed.  You’re signing someone and basically telling them they’re 2nd choice at best behind Collins so you need someone happy to play that role - which means they might not be a popular signing.  It’s like when Mac1 was here and Martin was the main man.  Getting another striker was extremely difficult as no one wants to be 2nd choice.

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

What’s occurring BT, what are you being told, anything in shirt and shorts will do us at this stage 😊

PW looking at this Holding midfielder, PW doesn't want to Waist anymore of DCs loot as he'll be on a rolling Munch contract.

image.png.295a444c9cc916e70a5057d8b3d41178.png

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Had a look and found it, interesting indeed, taken from this article;

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/portsmouth-new-boy-on-why-fratton-park-is-perfect-for-fresh-career-challenge-after-rejecting-rotherham-and-derby-4497414

I loved my time at Wigan, I cannot thank everyone enough for what they’ve done for me there - but this is a new opportunity which I couldn’t turn down.

‘From speaking to the new manager about how he thinks I fit into this team, I feel my playing style suits Pompey. Not that I didn’t suit Wigan, but this is probably a better fit for me.

‘I’ve been watching the games while I’ve been waiting to get on my way, so I saw a bit of the Port Vale game and it’s a good fit.

‘It’s a massive decision leaving a club where I have been for so long, it had to be a right fit, but, looking at clubs that were interested and the current situation, this was perfect for me.

‘Rotherham and Derby were the names going round, but I sat down and looked at my options and I just think this was definitely the right fit.

Posting this will be like a red rag to some, I still don’t read that as he “rejected us”, saying Derby and Rotherham were the names going round sounds like hearsay and rumour which isn’t the same as “Derby put in a bid and I said no cause I don’t like their style”

Plus he’s hardly going to go there and say Portsmouth’s a s**thole but the money’s good.

I'd say there's far more that goes into a destination for a player than this tribal, almost arrogant, attitude to say 'oh if he hasn't come here we weren't interested cause if we were he'd have come here'. I've no idea about him particularly but generally play style, management team money and family circumstances would be the main 4 but clearly that differs player by player.

What I would say is if the decision is based on style of play alone and there was little to pick between the other factors, we are losing out to almost all the others in the top 6