January Reinforcements

sage

Just now, Abu Derby said:

We should never have sold Whittaker. Ridiculous decision. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

He was sold at a time when the club was strapped for cash and his sale, alongside George Evans to Millwall & Kaide Gordon to Liverpool helped fund Rooney’s 5 loan signings on deadline day.

He was playing a bit part role and was hardly pulling up any trees for the first team during an extremely difficult run of form despite an impressive record at U23 level.

You could tell the negative environment at the club was having an effect on him, as it would most young players.

6 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

I don't think that we had much choice at the time, we were in desperate need of money and the offer was too good to refuse for a player which hadn't yet set the world alight.

26 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I don't think that we had much choice at the time, we were in desperate need of money and the offer was too good to refuse for a player which hadn't yet set the world alight.

He also showed nothing to suggest he would make it in men’s football.

You win some, you lose some.

In warned interview he stated that “offers” have been put in and that he has been “well backed” by the club.

Do we include CBT in this as it has already been reported that a deal had been agreed with Charlton?

What do people think? 1, 2, 3 or even more players will get through the door.

4 minutes ago, Paultheram said:

In warned interview he stated that “offers” have been put in and that he has been “well backed” by the club.

Do we include CBT in this as it has already been reported that a deal had been agreed with Charlton?

What do people think? 1, 2, 3 or even more players will get through the door.

I think/hope it’ll be 3. Blackett-Taylor to add to the options out wide, Smith or A.N. Other as a central striking option to share the burden with Collins until Waghorn and Washington are back, and a midfielder with a bit more presence/athleticism to those we have given that Fornah hasn’t quite turned out to be that solution. 
I would probably settle for a striker and wide player knowing we do have options coming back from injury/international commitment. 

1 hour ago, Abu Derby said:

No-one can say for sure what the consequences of keeping him would have been. We might have been relegated a year earlier and/or in administration, we might have received even less for him.

Arblaster wouid be a game changer if we could get him but only if we played 3 in midfield in a 433 of Hourihane Bird and Arblaster 

From what ive seen of Arblaster would  make a big difference 

I rate him highly but If we played a 2 in midfield Bird would be the one to miss out because Arblaster has a lot more to his game but only from what I’ve seen 

433 is defo the formation I’d prefer especially if CBT signs 

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

In hindsight it does look that way, partly driven by circumstance/necessity due to admin though wasn’t it? 

We sold him in the January before admin. Rooney didn't want him so got rid. The fee was got for him was the difference between going in to admin when we did, or at the start of September.

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

He also showed nothing to suggest he would make it in men’s football.

You win some, you lose some.

His record at youth level showed exactly why he needed time to adjust at first team level. Even when stepping up to the U18s and then the U23s he needed time to adjust to the increased physicality.

3 hours ago, Abu Derby said:

Reading back, lots of posters on here wanted shot of him, because they thought he’d never be good enough and thought it was the correct decision by a manager they rated highly.

With the benefit of hindsight they were wrong on all counts.

Just now, Ramarena said:

Reading back, lots of posters on here wanted shot of him, because they thought he’d never be good enough and thought it was the correct decision by a manager they rated highly.

With the benefit of hindsight they were wrong on all counts.

I was one of those, got it wrong…

3 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Perhaps Steve Cooper is a better judge of ability than us 🤷🏻‍♂️.

I dont think Rooney handled him well and it was prob wrong time to bring him through in high pressure situations. Crowd were impatient too and lot at stake that season.  I try and remember that when we moan at Warne for not bringing say Brown on in our high pressured promotion push. 

5 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

IMG_3474.thumb.png.efab80d768db07c441cebfd656e27af3.png

a Derby fan posted this on Twitter. No idea if it’s any way reliable.

That would mean 5 players this window...

LB - Roberts

CM - Arblaster (?)

RW - Olakigbe (?)

LW - Blackett-Taylor

CF - Smith

Blackett-Taylor and Smith will probably happen early this week. But the others may depend on players leaving first? Smith, maybe Sibley, etc...?

2 hours ago, S8TY said:

Arblaster wouid be a game changer if we could get him but only if we played 3 in midfield in a 433 of Hourihane Bird and Arblaster 

From what ive seen of Arblaster would  make a big difference 

I rate him highly but If we played a 2 in midfield Bird would be the one to miss out because Arblaster has a lot more to his game but only from what I’ve seen 

433 is defo the formation I’d prefer especially if CBT signs 

It appears Wilder is keeping Arblaster around so don't get your hopes up on that one

56 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I was one of those, got it wrong…

Me too I didn’t rate him was quite weak and you never can tell sometimes

to say it was a ridiculous decision though is incorrect because we don’t know if he would’ve ever shone for us 

the move was good for him so good luck to the the lad win some lose some