Warne Out Out

Birdyabroad

I’d rate Clowes’ ownership abilities better if he accepted that it was a mistake/misjudgment/whatever and cut the losses, rather than just continue with the hope that things get better.

Performances are poor. They haven’t really been great during Warne’s whole tenure, but now the results are poor, there’s nothing to fall back on.

The longer we wait, the more chance we have of a third season in League 1. I don’t think there’s any chance of things turning around, everything is against him now.

He has had over 12 months to shape us. He has had a transfer window to bring in his own players. I would say we are a worse side than we were a year ago.

He has had to cope with injuries but the players we have should be more than enough to get promoted.

If we stick as is then I think we will finish top half of the league but not in the top six. The football has flashes of brilliance but overall is very poor to watch. 

Oh, and our top scorer was signed through luck. 

Loose tomorrow and he has to go. 

The football is dreadful, we seem to be drawing parallels with Man U in that respect where a clear pattern of play isn’t evident after all this time.

Time for the players to step up on Tuesday, if the performance isn’t a-lot better then it’s time to accept that Warne cannot get a tune out of his squad and make the change.

Its a shame that it’s too late to get Warnock in, promotion is more important than a long term plan at the moment. 

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

That's not happened so far though has it? This is such a limited league, lots of very average teams. It's just that we are one of the average ones!

No it hasn't, and that's one of the primary reasons a hefty chunk of folks want him gone. 

7 from 15 is more of the same. More of the same is unacceptable.

18 minutes ago, WestStandStartTheBounce said:

He has had over 12 months to shape us. He has had a transfer window to bring in his own players. I would say we are a worse side than we were a year ago.

He has had to cope with injuries but the players we have should be more than enough to get promoted.

If we stick as is then I think we will finish top half of the league but not in the top six. The football has flashes of brilliance but overall is very poor to watch. 

Oh, and our top scorer was signed through luck. 

Loose tomorrow and he has to go. 

Yep, let’s hope we are not too loose at the back tomorrow without Cash 😉

It won't be long till we are limping towards 22/23k home attendances. Every ounce of optimism has been drained, even if we win tomorrow night, we all know it'll be a tough watch. 

Mr Clowes really needs to think about any potential revenue loss, not only for attendances in the coming weeks/months, but also for season tickets next season.

Even if Warne turns results around (I don't think he will for many of the reasons everyone else has covered) I can't see fans flocking to renew if we have to watch the style of football PW sets us up to play.

New manager + feel good factor (Eustace?) = probably closer to 28/30k at the games over xmas and new year 

Keep Warne with current feeling = 22/23k attendances and probably limping towards 16k season tickets next year

I really think it is a black and white decision on future revenue and whether that outweighs getting rid of him and his team sooner rather than later.

I hope Mr Clowes chooses wisely so I can enjoy going to Pride Park again 🙂

7 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I’d rate Clowes’ ownership abilities better if he accepted that it was a mistake/misjudgment/whatever and cut the losses, rather than just continue with the hope that things get better.

Performances are poor. They haven’t really been great during Warne’s whole tenure, but now the results are poor, there’s nothing to fall back on.

The longer we wait, the more chance we have of a third season in League 1. I don’t think there’s any chance of things turning around, everything is against him now.

I rate David Clowes' ownership abilities as impeccable. If they weren't this forum would no longer be a place for discussion but merely a garden of remembrance for DCFC Limited. 

He made a much supported decision to run this club as a sustainable business with a four-year rebuilding plan for the academy and the first team. He decided that based on his previous record in this division, Paul Warne would be the man given the opportunity to return the club to the Championship. He did not hold a gun to Warne's head demanding that immediate promotion was essential to the plan. When we missed out on securing a play-off place in May, David Clowes didn't make a knee-jerk reaction but held firm in the continuation of the project and backed Warne's first opportunity to recruit players of his choice.

In the past three weeks the performances and results have been very disappointing. That can happen and often does even in successful promotion seasons. But the reaction of Paul Warne to the growing fan criticism is a critical concern in the direction the team is currently going. As he says, it's a new experience for him to face criticism from the fans but in his media interviews he simply appears to have no answers as to how to remedy the situation. He seems confused in his leadership and consequently both the players and fans are confused, leaving us rudderless on the field. Facing Northampton and then Crewe is now a much bigger issue than it should ever be for this club.

David Clowes is not just the owner but also an avid lifelong fan and for that he is probably just as confused, worried and disappointed at the moment as many of us. I would imagine that in his day job, there have been several occasions where he has had to revise projects mid-term in the interest of an optimal outcome, which may also have included parting company with employees sooner rather than later. He has kept his thoughts to himself the past month. However, with the current turmoil the time must be near to when he will reveal if he wishes to continue with project as it stands or revise it.

6 minutes ago, Banksy said:

I rate David Clowes' ownership abilities as impeccable. If they weren't this forum would no longer be a place for discussion but merely a garden of remembrance for DCFC Limited. 

He made a much supported decision to run this club as a sustainable business with a four-year rebuilding plan for the academy and the first team. He decided that based on his previous record in this division, Paul Warne would be the man given the opportunity to return the club to the Championship. He did not hold a gun to Warne's head demanding that immediate promotion was essential to the plan. When we missed out on securing a play-off place in May, David Clowes didn't make a knee-jerk reaction but held firm in the continuation of the project and backed Warne's first opportunity to recruit players of his choice.

In the past three weeks the performances and results have been very disappointing. That can happen and often does even in successful promotion seasons. But the reaction of Paul Warne to the growing fan criticism is a critical concern in the direction the team is currently going. As he says, it's a new experience for him to face criticism from the fans but in his media interviews he simply appears to have no answers as to how to remedy the situation. He seems confused in his leadership and consequently both the players and fans are confused, leaving us rudderless on the field. Facing Northampton and then Crewe is now a much bigger issue than it should ever be for this club.

David Clowes is not just the owner but also an avid lifelong fan and for that he is probably just as confused, worried and disappointed at the moment as many of us. I would imagine that in his day job, there have been several occasions where he has had to revise projects mid-term in the interest of an optimal outcome, which may also have included parting company with employees sooner rather than later. He has kept his thoughts to himself the past month. However, with the current turmoil the time must be near to when he will reveal if he wishes to continue with project as it stands or revise it.

"As he says, it's a new experience for him to face criticism from the fans but in his media interviews he simply appears to have no answers as to how to remedy the situation. He seems confused in his leadership and consequently both the players and fans are confused, leaving us rudderless on the field."

Sorry I don't believe Warne hasn't faced fan criticism before now. I'm not at all confused, it is quite clear Warne isn't up to the job and should have his contract terminated.

"David Clowes is not just the owner but also an avid lifelong fan and for that he is probably just as confused, worried and disappointed at the moment as many of us."

I'd hope he was a better businessman and not be other than disappointed with how things have gone. Lets hope he adjusts his aim accordingly and finds a new manager asap.

7 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I can see him staying and the players putting in a performance tomorrow.

Just to delay the inevitable.

If it's anything like the Exeter game, I wouldn't class it as "putting in a performance".  We won that game purely because we had better players than they did.  And we'll do that in a bunch of games this season, because there are a lot of poor teams at this level.  If we're waiting for some kind of clear marker before we sack Warne (5 games without a win, or something like that), we're probably not going to get it.  We'll face a poor or out-of-form team often enough to keep him limping on, if that's the sort of threshold.  We need to say enough is enough, it's not getting better, change is needed.

3 hours ago, Srg said:

Problem is, he can't move with the ball anymore. He dances round it like it's a free kick whenever he's got it under control. Literally like Savage used to.

I agree and it's fine. Understand he can't do that and use the other players we have that can. Use Hourihane for what he can do not what he can't. It's been pretty been obvious since day 1 of being here that most of what he had left was a final ball and or shot. 

And also don't play him 3 games a week to knacker out what little stamina he has.

57 minutes ago, Sidd10 said:

Keep Warne with current feeling = 22/23k attendances and probably limping towards 16k season tickets next year

whilst a good point, the cost of paying off Warne would probably offset any difference of revenue avoided by getting rid of him.

I think unfortunately PW has proven a poor fit for this club. I don't blame Clowes for appointing him as he clearly has the promotion pedigree and no doubt interviewed well, but it's clear it isn't working out.

The fans have never taken to him (and vice versa), and I get the impression that he doesn't even like this club very much.

17 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

whilst a good point, the cost of paying off Warne would probably offset any difference of revenue avoided by getting rid of him.

1k off an attendance is around 350-400k a year in tickets and other income. Any drop more than 2k is higher than pay off and that's not even taking into account not receiving financial boost from promotion.