Derby v Cheltenham (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

The result is obviously a lot worse than the performance, for me this game was painfully similar to the Cambridge one.

I don’t think Warne got a lot wrong with his set up and team selection, albeit I would’ve liked to see Sibley for that little bit of guile and craft in the final third. It’s squarely at the feet of the players who made a ton of bad decisions in key moments and lacked quality when they needed it most.

You can definitely see why Cheltenham are where they are, but that’ll be something their fans have had something to cheer today. 

2 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Not sure what you are seeing that makes you think he will turn it around.

I didn’t say I think he will, I’m just not calling for him to be sacked every other match either. I said if he doesn’t deliver on what Clowes expects he’ll be sacked, and I’ll get on with following the team under whoever the next manager is.
It’s just my way, maybe it’s easier for me to feel calmer about it as I am removed a bit geographically and don’t have the financial investment some of you do as I’m not a ST holder.

4 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Classic Derby really.

A big win v Blackpool but fluffing two regulation wins v Cambridge and Cheltenham.

I don’t think you can fault the manager. We have created enough chances to win all three games with a bit more composure.

Clearly we are still a work in progress and clearly when we are on it, we are still very capable of finishing in the play-offs.

Portsmouth and Oxford have set an incredible pace, but there are still 35 games to go. All we can do at the moment is position ourselves to take advantage if they slow down.

How?

We should be going for automatic promotion not aiming for play offs again.

Bloody hell haven't listened to a Warne analysis for a number of weeks.

We didn't want the ball in the middle because they had an overload in there. Didn't want to try to put through balls to the strikers because they had 3CBs. We just needed to get into the wings more and get more crosses in more quickly.

Now getting defensive over Dom asking him why Sibley didn't come in when we needed goals and he's called him the best finisher at the club...  Well we had other unused subs. Bradley didn't come on. Vickers didn't come on

Straight back to not listening to his interviews me!

2 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

If you wait for us to sink down the table you’ll never be disappointed in us tbh. The league is that crap that just by virtue of having the players we do we’ll be battling for play offs. Steve bloomers bust would have us top 8 in this division so ‘falling down the league’ won’t ever happen. 

And that’s pretty much my stance, I’m not as concerned/dismayed/despairing as others are because I’ve got different expectations. 

Just now, Kokosnuss said:

Bloody hell haven't listened to a Warne analysis for a number of weeks.

We didn't want the ball in the middle because they had an overload in there. Didn't want to try to put through balls to the strikers because they had 3CBs. We just needed to get into the wings more and get more crosses in more quickly.

Now getting defensive over Dom asking him why Sibley didn't come in when we needed goals and he's called him the best finisher at the club...  Well we had other unused subs. Bradley didn't come on. Vickers didn't come on

Straight back to not listening to his interviews me!

And people say "you can't blame Paul Warne". He's literally paid to be responsible.

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

And you say your piece every week, you just believe you’re more right than me and seemingly get more angry about it than I do 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

I’ve said before I have different expectations to others and am to a point quite content having a team to follow week in week out. I do think calling for a sacking every week is melodramatic, but I appreciate you have articulated your reasons for wanting that. 

I mean I am right, but that’s by the by.

Im just saying it ain’t melodramatic. You can disagree, but it isn’t melodramatic. I’d say your viewpoint is very much the minority one (you’re probably one of only 3 staunch Paul Warne supporters on this forum), so maybe you might want to question if it’s actually your viewpoint that’s the extreme one? 

I just think we have to expect more than this. David Clowes has to expect more, given what resources he’s given Warne.

1 minute ago, oodledoodle said:

Radio Derby asking him difficult questions. He can't justify not bringing Sibley on. His answer was "we had loads of unused subs, I could have bought Sonny on for a set piece".

That’s why we signed Bradley it appears to me - should have signed Andy Carroll for that 

2 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

Are you saying people shouldn't have an emotional connection to their football team because some places are at war? And then you sign off with "get a grip" without a shred of irony.

No, I'm saying some lack perspective. They come on the match day thread to be angry about insignificant things.

There are emotional connections and then there are over-the-top reactions.

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

No, I'm saying some lack perspective. They come on the match day thread to be angry about insignificant things.

There are emotional connections and then there are over-the-top reactions.

Welcome to football. Football is the best escape that many of us have from the dirge of real life. Of course none of it matters. That's why it's beautiful.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

I mean I am right, but that’s by the by.

Im just saying it ain’t melodramatic. You can disagree, but it isn’t melodramatic. I’d say your viewpoint is very much the minority one (you’re probably one of only 3 staunch Paul Warne supporters on this forum), so maybe you might want to question if it’s actually your viewpoint that’s the extreme one? 

I just think we have to expect more than this. David Clowes has to expect more, given what resources he’s given Warne.

You (and others) appear to have misunderstood my stance. I’m not a staunch Paul Warne supporter, I’m not looking to get into either camp. I’m in the middle, or perhaps slightly more “Warne in” because I’m tired of the circus Derby has been for the last few years and am quite content to have a bit of stability for a while without the drama. That’s maybe where I fit into a minority. 

I did not like that interview at all 

he’s not bothered about playing football in midfield and the likes of Sibley are simply not going to get a proper go in the league which is incredibly frustrating when we know what he can do but Warne didn’t sign him did he and simply wants to play all the highly experienced players and not give the talented ones a go.

frustrating and I still believe most supporters could manage the players we have and achieve the current level of performances