I Feel As Fans, A Lot Of Us Have It Wrong.

SK47

After watching Paul Warnes Cambridge interview regarding the Josh Vicars situation, I can't help but feel we have it wrong about what we value in a manager. 

I understand football is about results and success, but sometimes, seeing a managers humility and connection as a humanbeing with the players, especially at times of trauma, beats the lot for me.

I've been critical of Warne, as have a lot of us, but I would love nothing more than for Warne to get us promoted. I know his "let's be mates" mentality can be a bit cringe, and his 352 does your head in, but you can tell he really cares about those around him, and I would much rather be in the trenches with a man like Warne than someone coming here for a quick cheque. 

I'm crossing everything that things go right on the pitch, but regardless of that, I just wanna commend him for the person he is.

Salute to you Mr Warne.

🫶

I think he is a decent man with good principles. Saturday v Cambridge will show whether or not he is a decent coach with good tactical awareness. I really hope we win, build more confidence and put a cohesive performance in that the fans go home proud of. If not I would appoint him head of HR and get Colin in.

You don't get points and win games for being a decent guy though and most of us want decent football with proper development of youth as well. I was thinking he was a good person as well after watching it though but he will get abuse even if he cured cancer if the results and performances at home were poor enough. 

Edited by Marriot Ram99

3 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

I think he is a decent man with good principles. Saturday v Cambridge will show whether or not he is a decent coach with good tactical awareness. I really hope we win, build more confidence and put a cohesive performance in that the fans go home proud of. If not I would appoint him head of HR and get Colin in.

This post wasn't about football and results, it was commending the man for the moment. 

His comments are commendable and clearly honest and heartfelt but I don’t think many of us have ever doubted his care for all of the staff. To be honest, and I don’t mean to undermine or question anything he has said but, surely it’s what you’d expect any football manager to say. I’m totally convinced he genuinely meant every word and will do all he can, as the club will, to support Josh.

3 hours ago, SK47 said:

After watching Paul Warnes Cambridge interview regarding the Josh Vicars situation, I can't help but feel we have it wrong about what we value in a manager. 

I understand football is about results and success, but sometimes, seeing a managers humility and connection as a humanbeing with the players, especially at times of trauma, beats the lot for me.

I've been critical of Warne, as have a lot of us, but I would love nothing more than for Warne to get us promoted. I know his "let's be mates" mentality can be a bit cringe, and his 352 does your head in, but you can tell he really cares about those around him, and I would much rather be in the trenches with a man like Warne than someone coming here for a quick cheque. 

I'm crossing everything that things go right on the pitch, but regardless of that, I just wanna commend him for the person he is.

Salute to you Mr Warne.

🫶

He's a football manager. Perhaps he should have applied for the DCFC Chaplains post?

I'm getting bored with the 'he's a lovely man' stuff. He wasn't so lovely when he put the blame for not doing well on some of the squad - just paranoid. 

He's a nice bloke but I don't care I want a good football manager.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's a football manager. Perhaps he should have applied for the DCFC Chaplains post?

I'm getting bored with the 'he's a lovely man' stuff. He wasn't so lovely when he put the blame for not doing well on some of the squad - just paranoid. 

Baby Pout GIF

I don't anyone has suggested Warne is anything other than decent on a perosnal level and it's obviously nice to have that perception backed up.

If anything hopefully that aspect starts to manifest tiself into the team and squad playing better - yes we can all grumble about 3-5-2 but if the team have each others backs and know the coaches have got thiers it can help a lot, or, rather, the absense of that trust can hurt a lot no matter how talented the team.

15 hours ago, SK47 said:

Salute to you Mr Warne.

🫶

Well said SK47. Your very well meaning post has not surprising given the usual anti-Warne rabble out to the fore. They are not bothered about decent human beings, just want their instant success. What a miserable lot they are.

I would love to see us get promoted and do well in the Championship and see if they are gracious enough to come back to the Forum with their tails between their legs and admit they were wrong. I already know the answer.

13 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

About sums it up 👍

I like Warne too, and I do agree a manager needs to care for his players and instill the right culture across the club. But even so, if the team isn't delivering on the pitch, ultimately he isn't the right man for the job. I'm still not convinced he's fully adapted to being at a Derby sized club rather than a Rotherham sized club.

17 hours ago, SK47 said:

Salute to you Mr Warne.

🫶

By a million miles,my favourite post of the year 👏👏

Thoroughly decent chap, no doubt about it. Decent enough manager at Rotherham. 

At Derby he has had a lot to deal with. He has made mistakes. I'm still not convinced though, that he's the wrong man for the job in hand. Had that great run last season which stopped when Bird got injured. After that we weren't much cop to the end of the season. Lost half the squad in the summer. Replaced them with players most fans thought to be good signings on paper. We are now finding out that the game is much harder on grass. There's the 352 business most don't like. I was of the opinion he would stick to a back 3 like a stamp to a letter. He's gone back 4. Will he stay that way or will he go for horses and utilise whatever formation he thinks best for the opposition on any given day? Time will tell.

One thing I am certain of is he won't be a good manager at Derby... he's the Head Coach 😉

Of course he’s a nice bloke.  So were Liam, Rooney, Frank, Cocu - I liked them all and I expect they would have all behaved similarly to PW during this difficult time.  I’m not under-playing the importance of PW’s decency - just saying it’s not unique to him - it’s an important quality for anyone building and leading a team (although I’m sure we can all think of exceptions!)

On 28/09/2023 at 17:06, SK47 said:

Salute to you Mr Warne.

🫶

Fair play.

I think he is a good man, a decent human being and I really do hope he gets it right.

Yes I am critical, yes I want it better and probably go about it wrong, but at the end of the day I just want Derby to succeed. If Warne can bring success then so be it. Best way to shut up negative fans is to win and keep winning.