Who enjoys Warne's football poll?

RoyMac5

Who enjoys Warne's football?  

374 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

We didn’t have any money when Burley was manager but just look at the quality and imagination of some of his signings. Bisgaard, Rasiak and Idiakez were all free transfers but they were from Italy, Denmark and Spain. Now look at the unimaginative rubbish we have signed this summer. 

That market is not quite as easy today 

On 09/09/2023 at 04:01, Bris Vegas said:

The football under Lampard was dire when Mason Mount was injured. We won only once in about ten weeks (11 games or so).

We have had purple patches under all managers since.

We broke a 40-year club record under Phillip Cocu of scoring at least once in over 20 consecutive league games. Not even Jim Smith or Steve McClaren manager that.

We had a great spell under Wayne Rooney when Bielik was injury free and completely dominating the opposition. 

I don’t recall creating as many chances as we did during Rosenior’s spell in charge, regularly having over 60% possession and 20+ attempts on goal.

And to be fair to Warne, I think he boasts the longest unbeaten run of any Derby manager since Jim Smith. But then again, it largely coincided with playing all the bottom teams and hammering the likes of Forest Green Rovers, Accrington Stanley and Morecambe.

Long story short, we’ve had purple patches under all managers and Lampard has gone on to show he is a bog standard manager who wouldn’t have had us anywhere near the top six without £100m worth of talent on loan.

And it's blatantly obvious now that Jody Morris was the brains behind the operation.  It's no coincidence that his Everton tenor was so bad with Clement as his No 2.

I for one voted yes.  I prefer to watch a gung ho, heavy metal pressing game, than endless passes between our back 4.  I think Warne's problem is that he's turning us into underdogs for most games.  It's the same issue that Moyes had when he went to Man Utd.  Now I'm not for a second comparing us to them, or displaying the kind of entitlement reserved for those gimps up the A52, but we're a big club in this division (and the one above) and every team, regardless of whether we're home or away, shouldn't look forward to playing us.  But I get the feeling that a lot of his ethos is based on being a scrappy, "have a good go" team, whereas we should have a bit more arrogance about us.

7 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

And it's blatantly obvious now that Jody Morris was the brains behind the operation.  It's no coincidence that his Everton tenor was so bad with Clement as his No 2.

I for one voted yes.  I prefer to watch a gung ho, heavy metal pressing game, than endless passes between our back 4.  I think Warne's problem is that he's turning us into underdogs for most games.  It's the same issue that Moyes had when he went to Man Utd.  Now I'm not for a second comparing us to them, or displaying the kind of entitlement reserved for those gimps up the A52, but we're a big club in this division (and the one above) and every team, regardless of whether we're home or away, shouldn't look forward to playing us.  But I get the feeling that a lot of his ethos is based on being a scrappy, "have a good go" team, whereas we should have a bit more arrogance about us.

same point i was trying to make before, some managers just don't fit with certain clubs. Happens all the time at all levels of football. 

18 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Arrognace makes for great football. Think of the great managers like Clough, Jose, Fergie. And the greats like Cantona, Stimac, Ronaldinho etc etc etc. Give me that kind of football all day long.

Misplaced arrogance is awful though. It just screams entitlement. Like Man U after Fergie.

I'll write something more serious than taking the mickey out of manager.

I don't enjoy Warne football. It's not just the style of football I have an issue with, I think it's the underlying problem of the most important aspect of any manager, is he getting the maximum out of his squad. And the simple answer is no. A big wage budget, as good of a backing as he will receive from our owner despite the circumstances with limits from the EFL, fantastic training facilities. He has no excuses in my view. 

Maybe it is an ego problem on my part, watching teams with significantly less resources than ourselves pass the football better and making our players run like headless chickens to regain possession, particularly at home, really grinds my teeth. I don't feel like Pride Park is a fortress under Warne. Strangely I don't feel confident like I used to. Surrendering possession at home does not give me reassurance that we are in control of matches, we are currently waiting on a massive error in the opponent's half or a 1 in 30 cross to find the back of the net. It is very basic, not much thought process and currently is giving us mixed results. Unfortunately Warne way is not for me although I do hope he has a lightbulb moment and conjures an attractive counter attacking style. 

What is the definition of Warneball?

Is what we're seeing on the pitch, the type of football PW, wants us to play? I know that ultimately, it's his responsibility for what happens on the pitch, but if you listen to his after match comments after a poor performance, he complains about the players aimlessly lumping the ball forward. He seems to be as unhappy with their style as we are.

From these comments, I would suggest that we are not yet playing the way he wants us to, but it's up to him and the coaching staff, to change that.

I voted 'dont know' because i think its too early to judge, only 6 league games in and all the bad luck with injuries i think he needs to be given more time. That said the performances so far have been poor, Oxford at home we looked like the away team and were totally out played. We are virtually getting the squad back to full fitness now so lets see what the next few weeks brings. I hope i am wrong but i am not feeling too optimistic.

12 minutes ago, ram59 said:

What is the definition of Warneball?

Is what we're seeing on the pitch, the type of football PW, wants us to play? I know that ultimately, it's his responsibility for what happens on the pitch, but if you listen to his after match comments after a poor performance, he complains about the players aimlessly lumping the ball forward. He seems to be as unhappy with their style as we are.

From these comments, I would suggest that we are not yet playing the way he wants us to, but it's up to him and the coaching staff, to change that.

Exactly this. 

He knows what he wants but he hasn’t achieved it yet. 

Saying that we are in the mix for promotion this season for sure. 

16 minutes ago, ram59 said:

after a poor performance, he complains about the players aimlessly lumping the ball forward. 

I've also noticed this. We didn't do this much before he arrived. He's been here a fair while now. So what exactly is he telling them they should be doing? And is it something they can conceivably do? 

"I want you to play world-class long balls directly to the feet of forwards in space."

We could all say that. But it wouldn't make it possible!

1 hour ago, oodledoodle said:

Arrognace makes for great football. Think of the great managers like Clough, Jose, Fergie. And the greats like Cantona, Stimac, Ronaldinho etc etc etc. Give me that kind of football all day long.

Misplaced arrogance is awful though. It just screams entitlement. Like Man U after Fergie.

Again, I don't want to come across as Bertie Big Balls, but as a club, in this division we shouldn't be cowering to other teams.  But surrendering the lions share of possession to the likes of Peterborough & Bolton smacks of a small club mentality.

On 09/09/2023 at 08:59, Gerry Daly said:

I voted no but I remember that I hated the pointless possession for possessions sake football under Clement and Cocu more. Remember how we would work it up one wing, get to level with the penalty area then turn and play it back then across the box  via it going all the way back to the centre halves and then up the other wing to the edge of the box then repeat? Keep it, keep recycling it then lose it. Never shooting, never creating any chances. We would go a half and at half time think we haven’t had a single attempt on goal. 

There has to be a happy medium between that rubbish and the stuff Warne is now serving up. The sort of football that Steve McLaren played. 

McClaren's football was indeed the best. Great coach. If he only he'd been able to manage as well. Can't think of one decent permanent signing he made.

20 minutes ago, 8Leeds said:

Ince, Dawkins, Thorne ??

Ince was signed permanently by Clement/Mad Mel.  

Gorgeous George would’ve been the best signing the club ever made, if it wasn’t for the eagerness of his boss to play him in a pointless friendly right after he joined… 

Still erks me that Dawkins was so under utilised. Used to knit stuff together so well.

Edited by ramsbottom

3 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Agree with what you say about arrogance.  We shouldn't have or need an underdog mentality in this division.  I wonder what message Warne sent the team out with against Bolton for us to have taken so long to get any sort of foothold in the game.  Maybe this is why he said that the players needed to do some soul-searching but it has happened too many times on his watch for him to be blameless.

As for the heavy metal pressing comments I think you could count the number of times that description could apply to us on one hand.  So much for Warnes pre-season getting us primed for an energetic start.  Hasn't materialised at all.

54 minutes ago, Red Ram said:

McClaren's football was indeed the best. Great coach. If he only he'd been able to manage as well. Can't think of one decent permanent signing he made.

Who did he sign permanently, that wasn't decent? Mac2 never got chance.

3 hours ago, SSD said:

I'll write something more serious than taking the mickey out of manager.

I don't enjoy Warne football. It's not just the style of football I have an issue with, I think it's the underlying problem of the most important aspect of any manager, is he getting the maximum out of his squad. And the simple answer is no. A big wage budget, as good of a backing as he will receive from our owner despite the circumstances with limits from the EFL, fantastic training facilities. He has no excuses in my view. 

Maybe it is an ego problem on my part, watching teams with significantly less resources than ourselves pass the football better and making our players run like headless chickens to regain possession, particularly at home, really grinds my teeth. I don't feel like Pride Park is a fortress under Warne. Strangely I don't feel confident like I used to. Surrendering possession at home does not give me reassurance that we are in control of matches, we are currently waiting on a massive error in the opponent's half or a 1 in 30 cross to find the back of the net. It is very basic, not much thought process and currently is giving us mixed results. Unfortunately Warne way is not for me although I do hope he has a lightbulb moment and conjures an attractive counter attacking style. 

Spot on, SSD! I couldn’t put it any better!

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

Ince was signed permanently by Clement/Mad Mel.  

Gorgeous George would’ve been the best signing the club ever made, if it wasn’t for the eagerness of his boss to play him in a pointless friendly right after he joined… 

Still erks me that Dawkins was so under utilised. Used to knit stuff together so well.

Dawkins got “Sibley’d”.

2 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Such a good player, technically superb and great football intelligence. From memory tended to get put out wide when he should have been in the middle.