Is expectation too high .

Curtains

56 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What's wrong with being arrogant

Well the pejorative nature of the word might be a clue?

...unpleasantly proud and behaving as if you are more important than, or know more than, other people

It's not a trait we like in other fans and so perhaps some introspection would in fact be in order.

High expectations were high and rightly so, as Roymac said, the talk of big budgets, announcements that we are now out of the clutches of the EFL, Paul Warne constantly saying "we are gonna have a right good go at it"...I didn't pay my money thinking I was going into a Nigel Clough-esque season of losing 2 here and then pulling suprising results out the hat there. I'll add, Nigel Clough operated at a higher level than this of course.

August has completely tempered those expectations and maybe for the good of the season. We SHOULD have a squad of players to at least challenge, a squad containing Cashin, Hourianne, Bird, Waghorn, NML, Barkhuizen, Collins, Washington & John-Jules should be top 6 fodder but we have to remember that Warne came in when we were 7th, had a squad containing Jason Knight, David McGoldrick, Curtis Davies etc and ended up finishing 7th.

We are miles off currently, some signings seem to be poor so far, tactics are poor and certain players clearly aren't buying into what they are being asked to do.

There is, however, time for Warne to look in the mirror and realise where he is going wrong. Starting picking a team and tactics to suit the personal, learning when saying less is more and having a REAL "right good go at it".

If we are in the same sort of position by end or September...

Marilyn Monroe Goodbye GIF

2 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Warne inherited the team last year. This year is his first attempt "to build HIS team" . They have only been together for a handful of games. They need some time.

I sort-of agree with this - new players definitely take time to get - but I do think two other points are important. 

One is that Warne has had plenty of time last season to bed in his style of play. 

The other is that he wasn't building on nothing. There were plenty of good players here already. And he's spent a lot of money on top of that getting more players in to fit his preferred system. Neither were most of these long-term signings - they are older players and presumably aimed squarely at a run at promotion now. So for me the window for showing better performances, far more cohesion, and ultimately better results is far smaller than for those saying 'these things take many years!'

2 hours ago, Mihangel said:

Quite - We can't just keep churning through managers because of some fans' lack of patience. Finanace alone makes this a difficult proposition but we're also not exactly an attractive propostion if we get rid of another one....

Who would want this poison chalice of a job. 
Why can’t we just give Warne a chance. 
He is on a 4 year contract.  
Rome wasn’t built in a day 

Quick Comparison 

Outs                                           Ins   

McKee 5                                    Vickers 6

Roberts  7                                 Elder 5

Springett 6                                Ward 7 

-                                                Wilson 5 

Davies 7                                   Bradley 5 

-                                               Nelson 6 

Knight  7                                 Embledon  not played yet 

McGoldrick  8                         Waghorn 7 

Osula   6                                 Washington 6 

Dobbin 6                                John- Jules 6 

-                                              Fornah  6 

On balance we are marginally weaker now but major losses of Knight & McGoldrick not yet matched . 

14 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Quick Comparison 

Outs                                           Ins   

McKee 5                                    Vickers 6

Roberts  7                                 Elder 5

Springett 6                                Ward 7 

-                                                Wilson 5 

Davies 7                                   Bradley 5 

-                                               Nelson 6 

Knight  7                                 Embledon  not played yet 

McGoldrick  8                         Waghorn 7 

Osula   6                                 Washington 6 

Dobbin 6                                John- Jules 6 

-                                              Fornah  6 

On balance we are marginally weaker now but major losses of Knight & McGoldrick not yet matched . 

Osula went in January back to Sheff U .

We are certainly not weaker  now .

Just watched the highlights on Rams Tv and it’s as I thought when I was at the game on Saturday we were robbed .

Smith tackled outside box so no penalty for me.

We shouldn’t have had to take our penalty as we had already scored .

They scored the winner with looping deflection off Fornah from a cross leaving Vickers out of position.

We were the team pressing at the end of the game with 10 men .

Reality is we ain’t that bad 

5 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Osula went in January back to Sheff U .

We are certainly not weaker  now .

Just watched the highlights on Rams Tv and it’s as I thought when I was at the game on Saturday we were robbed .

Smith tackled outside box so no penalty for me.

We shouldn’t have had to take our penalty as we had already scored .

They scored the winner with looping deflection off Fornah from a cross leaving Vickers out of position.

We were the team pressing at the end of the game with 10 men .

Reality is we ain’t that bad 

A80B3E52-FE44-4999-B5CC-D00486CCCEA7.thumb.png.2052fd46077f951c9695ab3143d8011b.png

1 solitary shot on target, which was a penalty. We played 48 minutes plus stoppage time with 11 men and still looked so poor, we only looked a threat from set pieces, potentially the worst on the ball I’ve ever seen us, 119 accurate passes with 57% pass accuracy is genuinely disgusting, there was games last season where Cashin did over 100 on his own, when we beat Man United away under Lampard Bradley Johnson had over 50 in the opposition half, so in a 90+ minute spell to have 119 accurate passes is awful, add to that after 3 minutes Bolton had 92% of the possession. I’ve never felt so unenthusiastic about watching us play, particularly after the injuries to Rooney and Thompson, not one part of me can be bothered to watch 9/10 ageing players look like they’ve never met each other for 90 minutes. I just wanna see something to feel optimistic about, an intention to play entertaining and attacking football and to see some of our exciting young players used in a way that can utilise the best of their abilities. I’m actually missing Cocu at the minute because at least I knew and liked what he wanted us to do.

5 minutes ago, JustOneBiblicalKazim said:

A80B3E52-FE44-4999-B5CC-D00486CCCEA7.thumb.png.2052fd46077f951c9695ab3143d8011b.png

1 solitary shot on target, which was a penalty. We played 48 minutes plus stoppage time with 11 men and still looked so poor, we only looked a threat from set pieces, potentially the worst on the ball I’ve ever seen us, 119 accurate passes with 57% pass accuracy is genuinely disgusting, there was games last season where Cashin did over 100 on his own, when we beat Man United away under Lampard Bradley Johnson had over 50 in the opposition half, so in a 90+ minute spell to have 119 accurate passes is awful, add to that after 3 minutes Bolton had 92% of the possession. I’ve never felt so unenthusiastic about watching us play, particularly after the injuries to Rooney and Thompson, not one part of me can be bothered to watch 9/10 ageing players look like they’ve never met each other for 90 minutes. I just wanna see something to feel optimistic about, an intention to play entertaining and attacking football and to see some of our exciting young players used in a way that can utilise the best of their abilities. I’m actually missing Cocu at the minute because at least I knew and liked what he wanted us to do.

Yes they had more possession especially 2nd half when we had 10 men but they didn’t create a lot. .

Rooney getting injured first half disrupted us be we still took the lead. 

Possession stats don’t always tell the full story .

Brian Clough won loads of games 1-0 with backs to the wall stuff .

2 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Yes they had more possession especially 2nd half when we had 10 men but they didn’t create a lot. .

Rooney getting injured first half disrupted us be we still took the lead. 

Possession stats don’t always tell the full story .

Brian Clough won loads of games 1-0 with backs to the wall stuff .

Again we had 1 shot on target and it was a penalty, weren’t exactly knocking on the door. Yes Rooney getting injured was unfortunate but I expect a seasoned professional who calls himself a championship centre half, who was also Warne’s big singing in Sonny Bradley to come on and perform adequately and not set up the opposition 1 on 1 with our keeper again. Bolton were running rings round us from minute 1. And with all due respect, I don’t really care what Brian Clough was doing over 30 years before I was born when players were still having pie and chips before kick off, we should not be performing like that in any fixture at this level injuries or not, and we were at least as bad with 11 as we were with 10.

2 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Well the pejorative nature of the word might be a clue?

...unpleasantly proud and behaving as if you are more important than, or know more than, other people

It's not a trait we like in other fans and so perhaps some introspection would in fact be in order.

Lol, is that the royal we? 

I don't mind arrogance when it's appropriate, if you don't think that Man City, Liverpool et al fans didn't ought to behave as if they were 'more important' then that's up to you mate.

Edit: oh and I like this definition too! 😄

image.png.3f476c0142383f87a2a240072adfcfaa.png

Edited by RoyMac5

1 minute ago, JustOneBiblicalKazim said:

Again we had 1 shot on target and it was a penalty, weren’t exactly knocking on the door. Yes Rooney getting injured was unfortunate but I expect a seasoned professional who calls himself a championship centre half, who was also Warne’s big singing in Sonny Bradley to come on and perform adequately and not set up the opposition 1 on 1 with our keeper again. Bolton were running rings round us from minute 1. And with all due respect, I don’t really care what Brian Clough was doing over 30 years before I was born when players were still having pie and chips before kick off, we should not be performing like that in any fixture at this level injuries or not, and we were at least as bad with 11 as we were with 10.

I’ve seen many bad performances from Derby in the last 61 years and some   magic performances like Real Madrid at home 
We will be fine for sure. 
Up the Rams 

24 minutes ago, JustOneBiblicalKazim said:

Those are some damning stats for sure.

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

Who would want this poison chalice of a job. 
Why can’t we just give Warne a chance. 
He is on a 4 year contract.  
Rome wasn’t built in a day 

Chance to do what though?! It doesn’t matter what players we have, how much money he gets to buy new players now or in the future, what the budget is etc. The football he makes the team play regardless of the players in it is absolute garbage. The worst kind of clueless hoofball that virtually any team with any tactical nous can defend against and overcome. It’s not about giving him time etc, nothing is going to change! He has one tactical formation, one style of play; occasionally he has to deviate from it but he always goes back to it!