My thoughts if I was David Clowes

Gringo

The decision on Warne's future is a little way off being made yet, but putting myself in David Clowes position my thought process would be as follows.

The results have been poor and the performances worse, and the fans are going apoplectic, however being logical about this I need to not knee jerk into making a rash decision.

I may have underestimated the challenge facing Warne, but his previous track record in getting out of this division was excellent and I should trust my initial judgement, but if things don't improve the crowds will drop and that will be a financial and personal disaster.

The manager needs to understand how serious his and the clubs position is and he needs to be given a set of targets he has to hit to avoid the termination of his role these should be, 

1. An immediate improvement in performances, team structure and tactics.
  2. 4 wins in next 10 games minimum 
  3. No more stupid press interviews
  4. Crowds must not drop below 20,000, this should not be a problem if 1. is rectified
  5. Any fall into the relegation zone will be instant termination

I have always found that people work best if they understand what is required of them and they know the owners expectations, I would suggest there have been conversations already and the bar man at last chance saloon is pouring a last drink.

I write this with having a reputation of being intolerant of poor performing subordinates and of course I might be wrong on this occasion.

11 minutes ago, Gringo said:

The decision on Warne's future is a little way off being made yet, but putting myself in David Clowes position my thought process would be as follows.

The results have been poor and the performances worse, and the fans are going apoplectic, however being logical about this I need to not knee jerk into making a rash decision.

I may have underestimated the challenge facing Warne, but his previous track record in getting out of this division was excellent and I should trust my initial judgement, but if things don't improve the crowds will drop and that will be a financial and personal disaster.

The manager needs to understand how serious his and the clubs position is and he needs to be given a set of targets he has to hit to avoid the termination of his role these should be, 

4. Crowds must not drop below 20,000, this should not be a problem if 1. is rectified

I have always found that people work best if they understand what is required of them and they know the owners expectations, I would suggest there have been conversations already and the bar man at last chance saloon is pouring a last drink.

I write this with having a reputation of being intolerant of poor performing subordinates and of course I might be wrong on this occasion.

Thanks Mel.

1 minute ago, MadAmster said:

DC may well be thinking "who are all these idiots? Complaining online based on a whole 4 games..."  Why did I waste £50M enabling them?

I don’t think they’re idiots it’s only 4 games in but the performances have been so poor and even at Burton we were 2nd best for 60 mins.

15 hours ago, Gringo said:

Have you thought about a career as a football manager?

As to your thread, I was just remembering earlier the statement David Clowes made at the conclusion of last season. Alternatively: only 4 matches ago, he said the following:

"To Paul, his staff and the players who have given every ounce of effort in every game, thank you."

and

"I believe we have made massive strides in EVERY element of the Club." [emphasis his]

I know it could be argued that recruitment has not gone brilliantly, but I don't think DC would put much of that at PW's door (with the possible exception of Bradley, but it's still early days on that one).

So you may be right and justified in terms of an event as dramatic as #4 on your list, but I don't think any of the others are likely to be in DC's thinking - at this stage anyway. #5 is pretty much meaningless at this stage (mathematically but improbably we could sink to 22nd place after Saturday's games) and why the sudden requirement for #3 if silly interviews (not helped by the interviewers) have been perfectly OK for the last 11 months?!

15 hours ago, Gringo said:

As owner and chairman would you also like to stump up the compensation payments for Mr Warne and the rest of his staff. You could then lose some more of your money. 

4 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

As owner and chairman would you also like to stump up the compensation payments for Mr Warne and the rest of his staff. You could then lose some more of your money. 

How do you know what contracts I made Warne and staff sign - I've seen a few managers come and go you know.

1 hour ago, derbydaz22 said:

I don’t think they’re idiots it’s only 4 games in but the performances have been so poor and even at Burton we were 2nd best for 60 mins.

Wigan was OK. Their two goals came from a mis-hit back pass for the first and the 2nd saw Wildsmith come for the ball and miss it and then Wyke had both hands full of Cash's shirt, thereby preventing him from jumping. It was a foul that wasn't given. Goal should not have stood. Blackpool was poor. Burton was a better performance. They had more possession but did little of note with it. Oxford game had its moments but they were the better side on the night yet did little more than us when it came to chances created.

There's a lot of work to do, that's obvious but there is the odd chink of light at the end of the tunnel.

With regard to any compo should Mr Clowes decide to ring the coaching changes, the money will come from the club, not from his personal funds. He has been consistent in saying the club will be self sufficient and sustainable.  

7 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Wigan was OK. Their two goals came from a mis-hit back pass for the first and the 2nd saw Wildsmith come for the ball and miss it and then Wyke had both hands full of Cash's shirt, thereby preventing him from jumping. It was a foul that wasn't given. Goal should not have stood. Blackpool was poor. Burton was a better performance. They had more possession but did little of note with it. Oxford game had its moments but they were the better side on the night yet did little more than us when it came to chances created.

There's a lot of work to do, that's obvious but there is the odd chink of light at the end of the tunnel.

With regard to any compo should Mr Clowes decide to ring the coaching changes, the money will come from the club, not from his personal funds. He has been consistent in saying the club will be self sufficient and sustainable.  

Interested to know what chinks of light you’ve seen so far because I can’t think of any.