My thoughts if I was David Clowes

Gringo

1 hour ago, derbydaz22 said:

Interested to know what chinks of light you’ve seen so far because I can’t think of any.

You've seen absolutely nothing positive in any of the games? We were at least as good as Wigan on the opening day. Gifted them both goals. The 2nd should have been chalked off by the ref for the foul on Cash. 20 shots to their 7. 4 on target to their 3. Good win at Burton. 

Blackpool was poor. Oxford were the better team yet we almost matched them for shots both on and off target. We're not going to roll teams up every week. There's been decent passages of play. We need to cut out  the individual errors for one. We also need to stop giving players like Oxford's Harris 10 yards of space in and around the box. Zonal marking? Ever seen a zone score? We need to pressure opposition players in our defensive third. There's a fair bit that needs fixing but that's what Warne is supposed to do. Here's hoping he gets it sorted.

3 hours ago, MadAmster said:

You've seen absolutely nothing positive in any of the games? We were at least as good as Wigan on the opening day. Gifted them both goals. The 2nd should have been chalked off by the ref for the foul on Cash. 20 shots to their 7. 4 on target to their 3. Good win at Burton. 

Blackpool was poor. Oxford were the better team yet we almost matched them for shots both on and off target. We're not going to roll teams up every week. There's been decent passages of play. We need to cut out  the individual errors for one. We also need to stop giving players like Oxford's Harris 10 yards of space in and around the box. Zonal marking? Ever seen a zone score? We need to pressure opposition players in our defensive third. There's a fair bit that needs fixing but that's what Warne is supposed to do. Here's hoping he gets it sorted.

I don't think there is actually a large contingent of supporters expecting us to 'roll teams' every week. However the general consensus in football is;  if you defend well, win your home games and get your season off to a reasonable start, there is a likelihood of progress with the possibility of some level of success. 

Edited by europia

Pride park has been a fortress so it's very surprising that we have been so poor and lost 3 out of 3 home games. The players shouldn't be nervous about playing here, they should be relishing the prospect of playing in front of 30,000 fans. When the place is rocking teams find it very difficult to get something here. 

On 17/08/2023 at 19:01, Gringo said:

The decision on Warne's future is a little way off being made yet, but putting myself in David Clowes position my thought process would be as follows.

The results have been poor and the performances worse, and the fans are going apoplectic, however being logical about this I need to not knee jerk into making a rash decision.

I may have underestimated the challenge facing Warne, but his previous track record in getting out of this division was excellent and I should trust my initial judgement, but if things don't improve the crowds will drop and that will be a financial and personal disaster.

The manager needs to understand how serious his and the clubs position is and he needs to be given a set of targets he has to hit to avoid the termination of his role these should be, 

1. An immediate improvement in performances, team structure and tactics.
  2. 4 wins in next 10 games minimum 
  3. No more stupid press interviews
  4. Crowds must not drop below 20,000, this should not be a problem if 1. is rectified
  5. Any fall into the relegation zone will be instant termination

I have always found that people work best if they understand what is required of them and they know the owners expectations, I would suggest there have been conversations already and the bar man at last chance saloon is pouring a last drink.

I write this with having a reputation of being intolerant of poor performing subordinates and of course I might be wrong on this occasion.

Just a question about point 5 - who would we get to do the job , Tony Soprano ?

12 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Its the way we’re playing, the one dimensional tactics that make us look a shambles when they don’t work, the boring ugly style of football we’re having to endure, the hammering of square pegs into round holes Warne does week after week to try and make his rubbish system work and the total lack of a plan B when it doesn’t. These are the reasons some of us see absolutely nothing positive in any of the games. 

10 hours ago, europia said:

I don't think there is actually a large contingent of supporters expecting us to 'roll teams' every week. However the general consensus in football is;  if you defend well, win your home games and get your season off to a reasonable start, there is a likelihood of progress with the possibility of some level of success. 

... and a squad that has seen a lot of players coming and going can take time to gel. This one looks that way. It might never gel. Every transfer is a gamble. Here we're looking at multiple changes. It can take time. There's also the chance that it might not work out at all.

If it doesn't work out, what then? My own view is that paying compo to PW and his staff would likely see us exceed the parameters of the business plan agreed to by the EFL. That would likely lead to a points deduction....

I think we're "stuck" with what we have.

1 hour ago, Jayram said:

Its the way we’re playing, the one dimensional tactics that make us look a shambles when they don’t work, the boring ugly style of football we’re having to endure, the hammering of square pegs into round holes Warne does week after week to try and make his rubbish system work and the total lack of a plan B when it doesn’t. These are the reasons some of us see absolutely nothing positive in any of the games. 

No good moves? No good goals? No good defending?

Of course, there have been individual mistakes. Of course, the zonal marking we seem to have adopted had a large part to play in both Oxford goals. I'm not saying it's all sweetness and light but neither is it unmitigated crap with no good attached to it whatsoever.

Time will tell if we start to click. If the performances improve. Still 12 days to see players move in or out. Still time for PW to decide the players he has need a different system/formation. Squads don't always gel instantly.

Maybe I'm too patient. Maybe others are the new generation where instant satisfaction is all they know. Maybe the "truth" lies somewhere in between.

1 hour ago, Jayram said:

This ☝️

Just now, MadAmster said:

No good moves? No good goals? No good defending?

Of course, there have been individual mistakes. Of course, the zonal marking we seem to have adopted had a large part to play in both Oxford goals. I'm not saying it's all sweetness and light but neither is it unmitigated crap with no good attached to it whatsoever.

Time will tell if we start to click. If the performances improve. Still 12 days to see players move in or out. Still time for PW to decide the players he has need a different system/formation. Squads don't always gel instantly.

Maybe I'm too patient. Maybe others are the new generation where instant satisfaction is all they know. Maybe the "truth" lies somewhere in between.

I generally agree with the patient, let’s give things time to gel approach Mad, but I really didn’t expect things to start as bad as this. Three home defeats on the bounce where we have looked extremely poor on the whole is not great. It’s not just the results but the performances have just not been anywhere near good enough.

When we have been in poor runs in the past I’ve mainly been able to understand or accept it as the performances were still competitive and entertaining.

at the moment I see good players playing in a system that doesn’t suit them, playing percentage football with no apparent structure/game plan 

I am not ally firmly in the happy clapper Derby til I die camp but at the moment I’m disappointed in performances and concerned that not enough will change to what could have been a potentially successful season. 

perhaps the injuries will force the hand of recruitment. 

2 hours ago, Jayram said:

Especially now there is no Didzy. 

11 hours ago, europia said:

And we have done none  of the above

I reckon David Clowes will be thinking something like this -

It's too soon to sack the manager. It needs 10 or better still 20 games to bed in. Of course if there's no improvement by then he'll have to go. I realise that I have to keep the fans on board, but it's my club and my financial genitalia on the line, so I make the decisions.

Hi Mr Financial Director, how much would it cost me to sack Warne etc al, and what would that do to the business plan?

Hi Mr Sportting Director, just on the off chance that we need one, what managers are likely to be available?

I wish that I had managed expectations better. Although we're a giant club for League 1, the post administration restrictions make us pretty much an average League 1 club until next season. I should have made it clear that 'par' is currently mid-table, so Warne has actually over achieved to this point.

Next season will be different. We need to have the right manager in place by then. Hopefully it will be Warne, but I'm currently not convinced we'll be able to attract better until the restrictions are lifted.

Final thought - I'm never giving a manager a 4 year contract again.

Edited by CornwallRam

15 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Warne isn't a new manager who we brought in this season.  He's been here a month shy of a year.  The 10 game bedding in was last Halloween.

Spoilsport!

He needs his own players in the door. He can't possibly be expected to manager players who might be Billy Big B's or don't use WhatsApp!

On 19/08/2023 at 11:28, Jimbo Ram said:

I generally agree with the patient, let’s give things time to gel approach Mad, but I really didn’t expect things to start as bad as this. Three home defeats on the bounce where we have looked extremely poor on the whole is not great. It’s not just the results but the performances have just not been anywhere near good enough.

Their 0-4 away win at Bolton seems to put our narrow defeat to Wigan in a  better light. Would have been 1-1 if the ref had spotted Wyke having both hands full of Cashin's shirt....

You're right, performances haven't been good enough overall but there have been some good passages of play as well. Not all doom and gloom.

We seem to have stumbled on a decent back 3. Although we can't be certain, based on 1 game. Especially with 2 away fixtures up next at Posh and Bolton. Thommo seems to have put the grit and urgency into MF that we were missing. Remember, all of our promotion and title winning seasons didn't start brilliantly. 2 were off the back of 2 wins in 8, 1 was 2 wins in 7 and the others were all 2 from 6. Conversely, in one of Nigel's seasons we won 4 or 5 on the trot and finished 12th. Yes, improvements are necessary, totally agree. Despite the results, there has been some good play, as well as bad and some good goals and chances too.

10 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

We seem to have stumbled on a decent back 3. Although we can't be certain, based on 1 game. Especially with 2 away fixtures up next at Posh and Bolton. Thommo seems to have put the grit and urgency into MF that we were missing. Remember, all of our promotion and title winning seasons didn't start brilliantly. 2 were off the back of 2 wins in 8, 1 was 2 wins in 7 and the others were all 2 from 6. Conversely, in one of Nigel's seasons we won 4 or 5 on the trot and finished 12th. Yes, improvements are necessary, totally agree. Despite the results, there has been some good play, as well as bad and some good goals and chances too.

Who, and how setup at the back?