So who would we have then?

Gerry Daly

I have to echo the comments of @BramcoteRam84.

To win back the fanbase, Warne needs a sustained run of positive results and performances to return the feel good factor. I am not sure the fanbase will tolerate many more showings like we saw on Saturday. It’s reached Hail Mary territory.

However it’s hard to know where he stands with Clowes as we don’t know their relationship and what expectations have been laid out. It might be the case that Clowes anticipated some bumps in the road. Given the cost of a managerial change can be thousands if not millions, maybe he will let things play out longer to ‘protect his investment’. We know if it was Mel, he would have been sacked weeks ago. 

What I am struggling with is who comes next. It’s not an easy job to walk into. It’s a squad with signings from two different managers, a squad plagued by inconsistency and weighed down by expectation, a squad with very few players secured on long term contracts, and a club that is still in recovery from administration and without the financial flexibility of years gone by.

The idea of a young, up-and-coming, progressive manager with the right principles seems to appeal to many. However I do think people underestimate the level of backing needed for such an appointment to work and whether our patience would really last if there were mixed results.

People want to point to the good jobs being done by Kieran McKenna at Ipswich and Rosenior at Hull as to why a good coach with the right principles is the way forward, yet both of them have needed significant investment in the playing side to accelerate matters.

Yes, we might be able to get a better coach in than Warne but good coaches also need good players. I just don’t know that our squad is really as good as people imagine and whether our financial position will allow us to bring in the players needed to make the favoured style work.

4 hours ago, S8TY said:

its marginly better...I remember plenty of games sat behind the ball and i was bored to death....rarely on the front foot...fair enough if you'd like him back but there are plenty much better out there than him

And yes may sound surprising but I warned them the football would be hard to watch and they seemed ok with it for a while then starting complaining about the style of play lol....and thats Millwall fans lol as i said says it all really 

I'd say it was better in the way that it was coherent and was tactically sound.

It was ugly at times but the plan was very clear and people knew what they were supposed to be doing.

Tbh Rowett is the benchmark I put other pragmatic managers that we've seen against in recent years because with the others it was both ugly and bad rather than just ugly.

2 hours ago, Jourdan said:

To win back the fanbase, Warne needs a sustained run of positive results and performances to return the feel good factor. I am not sure the fanbase will tolerate many more showings like we saw on Saturday. It’s reached Hail Mary territory.

However it’s hard to know where he stands with Clowes as we don’t know their relationship and what expectations have been laid out. It might be the case that Clowes anticipated some bumps in the road. Given the cost of a managerial change can be thousands if not millions, maybe he will let things play out longer to ‘protect his investment’. We know if it was Mel, he would have been sacked weeks ago. 

What I am struggling with is who comes next. It’s not an easy job to walk into. It’s a squad with signings from two different managers, a squad plagued by inconsistency and weighed down by expectation, a squad with very few players secured on long term contracts, and a club that is still in recovery from administration and without the financial flexibility of years gone by.

The idea of a young, up-and-coming, progressive manager with the right principles seems to appeal to many. However I do think people underestimate the level of backing needed for such an appointment to work and whether our patience would really last if there were mixed results.

People want to point to the good jobs being done by Kieran McKenna at Ipswich and Rosenior at Hull as to why a good coach with the right principles is the way forward, yet both of them have needed significant investment in the playing side to accelerate matters.

Yes, we might be able to get a better coach in than Warne but good coaches also need good players. I just don’t know that our squad is really as good as people imagine and whether our financial position will allow us to bring in the players needed to make the favoured style work.

Good post Jourdan, although I’ve never wanted Warnock to take over before I think he could be a good fit at the moment. He’s out of work, has stated a few times that we’re a good club that he would of loved to have managed at some point, he’s got masses of enthusiasm and vast experience of working in the lower divisions. Yes a younger manager with big potential would be great but like u said in your post would he get the time required in our current predicament, with probably very little money to spend to change things.

8 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Spot on !! 👏👏

12 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Trust me mate, I’m totally with you, I think Warne should go now.

Sadly though, like it or not, Clowes is very much in the Warne in camp. That’s not likely to change any time soon.

Im not disputing your source but I think it’s very clear that Clowes behaves in a certain way. He isn’t a showman, or any egotist. I think the first person that’ll know he’s going to get rid will be Pearce. The second person will be Warne and I think it’ll happen very quickly. I just don’t think there’ll be time for any leaks and I don’t think he’d talk about something as sensitive as a managers future other than toeing the supportive line until he’s ready to act on it such is his character. 

So whilst the noises you’re hearing from those close to him are that he fully backs him - I’d expect him to say nothing different to that even if he is drawing up contingency plans in his head. 

57 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Im not disputing your source but I think it’s very clear that Clowes behaves in a certain way. He isn’t a showman, or any egotist. I think the first person that’ll know he’s going to get rid will be Pearce. The second person will be Warne and I think it’ll happen very quickly. I just don’t think there’ll be time for any leaks and I don’t think he’d talk about something as sensitive as a managers future other than toeing the supportive line until he’s ready to act on it such is his character. 

So whilst the noises you’re hearing from those close to him are that he fully backs him - I’d expect him to say nothing different to that even if he is drawing up contingency plans in his head. 

Spot on. And the other point which I made the other day is that there has been no comment coming out of the club whatsoever. It makes sense to me that Clowes and the club hierarchy are well aware of the intense speculation amongst supporters and were they determined to back Warne come what may I think they would try to dampen the speculation and opposition to Warne by making a public statement of support  

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

This is the hope I'm clinging to. That the first we know of it is either someone at Moor Farm leaking info about desks being emptied or the 'corner flag' appearing on a tweet.

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

This, the idea that Clowes it's the sort of person who would allow leaks about people's livelihoods is a bit daft.

1 hour ago, Gerry Daly said:

Spot on. And the other point which I made the other day is that there has been no comment coming out of the club whatsoever. It makes sense to me that Clowes and the club hierarchy are well aware of the intense speculation amongst supporters and were they determined to back Warne come what may I think they would try to dampen the speculation and opposition to Warne by making a public statement of support  

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

This is the hope I'm clinging to. That the first we know of it is either someone at Moor Farm leaking info about desks being emptied or the 'corner flag' appearing on a tweet.

45 minutes ago, Mihangel said:

This, the idea that Clowes it's the sort of person who would allow leaks about people's livelihoods is a bit daft.

Realistically quite a number of our manager exits have been a surprise when they’ve not been courted by another club. 

18 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

My source has just told me that any rumours of Warne’s departure are completely made up, and there was no meeting this morning.

Clowes still 100% behind Warne, his future is under no pressure whatsoever. 

I have no reason to disbelieve you Millenniumram, But Wow.. to quote his future is not under pressure whatsoever...is mind blowing, Honest...mind blowing.

From afar I can see no improvement, DC watches all the games...surely he can see no improvement, Has DC tied his own hands with the length of PWs contract?

12 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Has DC tied his own hands with the length of PWs contract?

If we don't see some reaction of some sort very soon, then I suspect you may be right TLP.  He will know what the mood amongst the fans is only too acutely.  He was no doubt there on Saturday to witness the pitiful performance and more importantly, PW's reaction in his RD interview.  What the hell was he thinking??  Love the bloke's honesty and personality, but I fear we are only going to watch an increase in toxicity as we limp towards January and the inevitable 'picking off' of our young talent.  For their careers' sake, I think it is best for them to move on, much as it will gut me. 

It's a very dispiriting time right now - and that's speaking from a fan that's been supporting DCFC for over 55 years!  I am bordering on apathetic, which is frightening for me, but the football is so uninspiring.  

Edited by RedSox

14 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

I have no reason to disbelieve you Millenniumram, But Wow.. to quote his future is not under pressure whatsoever...is mind blowing, Honest...mind blowing.

From afar I can see no improvement, DC watches all the games...surely he can see no improvement, Has DC tied his own hands with the length of PWs contract?

This is the crux of the matter surely? There has to be money in our budget for such circumstances else he has been very unwise in his contract negotiating. #COYR

I wonder if it's worth considering replacing Paul Warne with Luke Williams.

Williams has been coaching in League One and the National League with Notts County, and it appears that he is close to making further progress up the pyramid. He is known for his coaching methods and tactical mind, having previously coached the Robins Under-23s from 2017 to 2019, before joining Notts County.

We would have to buy out this contract, but we would have to buy out the contract for most managers who might be worthwhile replacing Warne.

Williams is an "on-the-grass" style coach who can help players improve their individual skills. However, I understand that there could be concerns about his ability to promote us to the Championship, and whether our club is willing to take the risk.

2 hours ago, Oldben said:

I wonder if it's worth considering replacing Paul Warne with Luke Williams.

Williams has been coaching in League One and the National League with Notts County, and it appears that he is close to making further progress up the pyramid. He is known for his coaching methods and tactical mind, having previously coached the Robins Under-23s from 2017 to 2019, before joining Notts County.

We would have to buy out this contract, but we would have to buy out the contract for most managers who might be worthwhile replacing Warne.

Williams is an "on-the-grass" style coach who can help players improve their individual skills. However, I understand that there could be concerns about his ability to promote us to the Championship, and whether our club is willing to take the risk.

Please stop. 

It's quite obvious these are not your own thoughts, and the constant copy and pasting is frankly doing my head in.