So who would we have then?

Gerry Daly

Just now, hintonsboots said:

True. But how long and was there really a meeting. Perhaps @Big Trav can flesh out the detail a bit ?

I agree perhaps BT can confirm if a meeting really did take place. As to “how long” (if a meeting did take place and that was the decision arrived at) I can’t really see such detail being divulged. All we’d probably get is the infamous vote of confidence with the finer details of how long for being kept secret. 

2 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

He’s absolutely rubbish. 

Rode the coat tails of squads too good for the division and found out in both times at the top level. Look at what O’Neil managed with his squad after he deemed them not good enough. 

Be thoroughly gutted if he was a real option. 

Would rather have Scott Tracey, maybe a puppet manager though.

88C5011C-754E-4CEC-920C-ECEA3DD3AB50.jpeg

He’s on borrowed time clearly. I think the only way he saves his job is he needs a decent winning run now. Lose or draw Northampton pressure will grow that coupled with being knocked out by Crewe which is a dangerous tie for us then it will be curtains. He needs to win both these home league games and start picking up points away he does that he might last to January and then see how it goes. 

Assuming he does go, Clowes must think carefully about where we want to head as a club, style of football, academy etc, we need a clear strategy and we need to stick to it and recruit managers in line with that strategy. There are some decent managers out there but we need someone who can build something. I’d have had Warnock to the end of the season to give Clowes the chance to figure out the future strategy but ship looks like it’s sailed on that one.

Options:

Carsley - probably unrealistic but would love him here. Decent record as a caretaker and done good job with England U21s but he’s always preferred academy coaching and turned down opportunities to be a permanent manager in the past. He’d be my no 1 choice though.

Eustace - everyone seems to be mentioning him, not sure has been highly regarded for a while.

Rowett - Some will scoff at this but Snakes football IMO wasn’t that bad (playoff semi aside), he has a proven record of building things on a budget, he laid the foundations for Burton, and did an excellent job at both Brum and Millwall with limited resources. I think he would be a safe bet to not only get us promoted but get us to top half championship in next 3 seasons. Would he lower himself to league 1 and would he want the pressure/focus of the Derby job again, maybe he would now presumably his kids have grown up. 

Luke Williams - Risky appointment but plays good football and is one the most highly regarded coaches in the EFL right now. Wouldn’t mind seeing him here.

If we could find the next Kieran McKenna then great. Would be a risk.

If we want nostalgic appointments potentials could be Simmo, or Chris Powell. 

Chris Wilder i wonder if he’s a busted flush. Same with Steve Bruce, the latter definitely fits the Jim Smith profile maybe with one last successful gig still in him, but we were a much better team at the time smithy came in than we are now. 

41 minutes ago, Fraser_23 said:

it’s a suggestion thread, so i made a suggestion…..

Yes i go pep then... Corsley has been linked with Ireland and outsider for England let's be realistic! I would love to see Carsley but let's stay level headed

13 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

He’s on borrowed time clearly. I think the only way he saves his job is he needs a decent winning run now. Lose or draw Northampton pressure will grow that coupled with being knocked out by Crewe which is a dangerous tie for us then it will be curtains. He needs to win both these home league games and start picking up points away he does that he might last to January and then see how it goes. 

Assuming he does go, Clowes must think carefully about where we want to head as a club, style of football, academy etc, we need a clear strategy and we need to stick to it and recruit managers in line with that strategy. There are some decent managers out there but we need someone who can build something. I’d have had Warnock to the end of the season to give Clowes the chance to figure out the future strategy but ship looks like it’s sailed on that one.

Options:

Carsley - probably unrealistic but would love him here. Decent record as a caretaker and done good job with England U21s but he’s always preferred academy coaching and turned down opportunities to be a permanent manager in the past. He’d be my no 1 choice though.

Eustace - everyone seems to be mentioning him, not sure has been highly regarded for a while.

Rowett - Some will scoff at this but Snakes football IMO wasn’t that bad (playoff semi aside), he has a proven record of building things on a budget, he laid the foundations for Burton, and did an excellent job at both Brum and Millwall with limited resources. I think he would be a safe bet to not only get us promoted but get us to top half championship in next 3 seasons. Would he lower himself to league 1 and would he want the pressure/focus of the Derby job again, maybe he would now presumably his kids have grown up. 

Luke Williams - Risky appointment but plays good football and is one the most highly regarded coaches in the EFL right now. Wouldn’t mind seeing him here.

If we could find the next Kieran McKenna then great. Would be a risk.

If we want nostalgic appointments potentials could be Simmo, or Chris Powell. 

Chris Wilder i wonder if he’s a busted flush. Same with Steve Bruce, the latter definitely fits the Jim Smith profile maybe with one last successful gig still in him, but we were a much better team at the time smithy came in than we are now. 

Christ,not rowett...I hated every minute of him being our gaffer.

I think that came from resenting that he replaced Mac,completely needlessly and had an accent that could sour milk.

Plus the football was horrible and I think we could go with a change from that.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

19 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I've seen it's Warnock for QPR. Not sure why so many people are keen for Eustace, but I suppose I've not followed his management career. What's the attraction?

I imagine that he had turned Birmingham into a decent enough team (cough) and the fact that he played for us at a time when we played decent football if that has any bearing on his management skills 

Left-field choice... but Robbie Fowler!

Recently sacked from his role in Saudi Arabia (a weird choice seeing as his side were unbeaten at the time). Was well thought of over in Australia during a short spell at Brisbane Roar. Applied for a fair few jobs in England over the years if reports are to be believed, and I reckon he'd relish the opportunity.

5 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Recently sacked from his role in Saudi Arabia (a weird choice seeing as his side were unbeaten at the time). Was well thought of over in Australia during a short spell at Brisbane Roar. Applied for a fair few jobs in England over the years if reports are to be believed, and I reckon he'd relish the opportunity.

Karm down La.

16 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Rumour has it he's off to Grimsby.

48 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

No, far more reliable 

You've read the Athletic article?

"Pearce and Clowes did agree with the second part of the Derby being a bit thin on top theory, though, and this relates to the club’s board currently having only two directors, Clowes and Richard Tavernor, the finance director at the owner’s family business, Clowes Developments. The club is looking for three more directors, a chair and two non-executives. Ideally, they will bring complementary skill sets, with the chair likely to have a legal background, and the other two having backgrounds in business and/or high-performance sport."

An emergency Board meeting need only be Clowes and his mate, plus perhaps Pearce if they want him to be there. They could have been down the pub and done it there! 😄