Is Warne living on borrowed time?

17 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Think anyone not concerned after watching 50 games of Warne ball has levels of optimism that I could only dream of having. 

What have you seen in derby colours that makes you think he’ll be a success here? 

Honestly - sounds like a brilliant fella to have a beer with, maybe make the godfather of your kid if he’s a close mate but on the pitch where it matters, what have you seen? 

Concerned about how we've started this season but not ready to get the knives out yet. 

I want to see some players brought in over the next couple of weeks.

I also want to know what happened to the football we were playing from November to February last season. In that run of games unbeaten we looked good. Where has that gone?

48 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

that collapse was largely the result of an injury crisis that battered our squad tbf

We have an injury crisis now just FYI. We should be at peak fitness but we had a preseason where the coaching staff were bragging about how hard they worked them. And we have Sibley, Barkhuizen, Bird, Wilson, Ward and arguably Washington all injured or not fully fit

This is another black mark next to this coaching setups name, results aside

7 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Concerned about how we've started this season but not ready to get the knives out yet. 

I also want to know what happened to the football we were playing from November to February last season. In that run of games unbeaten we looked good. Where has that gone?

Meadow Lane

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Our open play chance creation was very poor. On a couple of occasions if the better ball had come across from Mendez-Laing as a result of a good burst came in we'd have been in.

We are not looking at ifs buts and maybes we only want absolutes and our open play is not an absolute or maybe this could have come off. If like you say and we are relying on set pieces we might aswell bin most of them off and sign every player over 6 foot 4 and hire Tony pulls as manager 

45 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Considering we’ve brought in Washington and Nelson I don’t have very high hopes to be honest 

46 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

It went to notts county 

Can't see how we can afford to sack him - so for the next three years, I'm going to be sticking pins in my eyes just to take the pain away from watching the worst Derby County side in the last 57 years (that's how long ago my first season ticket was - I can't go back further than that). Christ, even Docherty's side, Billy Caskey, Vic Moreland and all, was better than this shower.

Come back Phil Brown, all is forg......

ok, forget the last bit.

Edited by Eddie

The football is horrible to watch. We can’t pass, so many balls are hit aimlessly long, our defence is being asked to play in a way that doesn’t suit it at all, the midfield is lost, wing backs offering next to nothing defensively and their sole purpose is to try and cross a ball in which is predictable and they often find them selves completely isolated.

This is nothing to do with the formation, it’s how it’s being applied tactically. The manager appears either to stubborn to change it or hasn’t got the ability to.

The excuses that are coming after poor performances are starting to grate.

On paper, this squad should have enough ability to finish top six but that will only happen if it’s played to it’s strengths.

I mean, I’m lost for words at this stage. 8Leeds has certainly got some of the details right, but I can’t understand how we consistently put in such embarrassing performances and results. Even playing our worst 11 and getting tactics wrong, we should still be able to beat Oxford. I’ve never even heard of any of their players.

I don’t care about contracts, and I don’t care about those of you who continue to defend him, Warne has to go for the sake of the club and for my sanity.

(The usual suspects can save the ‘you can sod off then’ posts, I won’t dignify them with a response.)

19 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I think what you say would be very valid if we were operating under normal conditions but we are not. Brian Clough and Arthur Cox built their promotion teams to get them out of the divisions they were in but also were able to attract players who they knew could hold their places in the division above. If Warne has the ability to do that, which is an unknown at the present, he does not have the budget to do it this season. It seems clear that at the moment he cannot bring in players who would be guaranteed to establish us in the Championship next season as well as getting us up. So he is recruiting simply with the aim of promotion. If he achieves that he has put in place the first of our building blocks. Next season's recruitment would then see him trying to place the second block; improving the quality sufficiently to avoid a relegation fight, followed by further progress the season after.

I cannot see at the moment how he can do it any other way. At the outset, David Clowes was clear that there was no unconditional demand for instant promotion and that we were at the start of a gradual rebuild. We have to be patient. Everyone of us seemed to agree with that 12 months ago, but some fans are becoming impatient. Sheffield Wednesday had to go through similar trials and their fans are now worried that their team will not be good enough to keep them up this season.

I think you've missed my point or I didn't explain it well enough.

I'm more than happy to be patient. In fact I think we should be patient and be thinking long term. I'd have stuck with Rosenior for longer than he got because I think in spite of a somewhat rocky start I could see the longer term view in what he was trying. 

If someone came in and basically took a season to build a team around of academy players, giving them a season to grow and gel. So that we could propel forwards in later seasons I'd be all for that. Or if they took a few gambles on younger, rawer players in the hopes of developing them.

But all of Warne's moves both tactically and in the market feel short term. And I have nagging concerns over his management of player fitness.

I have sympathy for the argument of let's just get out of league 1 and sort things out later. But I don't see evidence of Warne doing that quickly. His signings in a fair few places don't seem good fits for how he wants to play. There is an air of struggling to either attract talent and keeping talent. And current performances are way off the mark.

Basically it feels like the worst of both worlds and a bit rudderless. He's likely not going to give short term success and he's likely  not going to sustainable long term success. 

I just don't see a compelling argument that he's the right man for the job and increasingly "but 3 promotions at Rotherham" feels like the 2023 "but at Leicester". 

(I'll caveat this by saying maybe we can't realistically afford to sack him, I just can't talk to that.)

At this point I'd probably be scouting for someone who's done good work at an academy somewhere maybe somebody like Jody Morris. A solid track record of taking players and developing them because that's how we go forwards materially.

23 minutes ago, WarneOut said:

I mean, I’m lost for words at this stage. 8Leeds has certainly got some of the details right, but I can’t understand how we consistently put in such embarrassing performances and results. Even playing our worst 11 and getting tactics wrong, we should still be able to beat Oxford. I’ve never even heard of any of their players.

I don’t care about contracts, and I don’t care about those of you who continue to defend him, Warne has to go for the sake of the club and for my sanity.

(The usual suspects can save the ‘you can sod off then’ posts, I won’t dignify them with a response.)

I must admit the more I think about it the more I’m siding with letting him go. Our home record was impeccable before Warne. PP a fortress even in the dog days of Rooney and co. We look so toothless at home now, I mean how has he made 25,000 fans aka the 12th man irrelevant. 

Based on the last year, I'd be willing to let Warne go, beyond a few sparks last season and a resurgence in bobble hats, I think we can all see it's not working out how anyone would have hoped.

As people have said though, the problem is we do not have the finances to do it and, even if he ended up walking or agreed to a lesser pay off (why?), the question is who would we be able to afford?  I suspect talk of Moore is fanciful and, in all honesty, we should have got Simpson when we had the chance (been saying that for years mind).  I expect the budget would allow us to be looking at exotic names like Karl Robinson or an assistant manager wanting to try a step up.  

Where is Darren Wassall when you need him?

7 hours ago, sage said:

Washington was offside anyway i think. 

We gave away 2 penalties the ref didn't spot and could have had Collins sent off and should have had Cashin sent off. 2-1 flattered us hugely and anyone who says otherwise is deluded or Paul Warne.

We don't have VAR. I haven't seen it again, but I don't believe the linesman flagged so it would have stood.

I guarantee you wouldn't use the officials as an excuse to benefit Warne, and yet we're discussing subjective decisions in critique of him. 

6 hours ago, Barney1991 said:

We are not looking at ifs buts and maybes we only want absolutes and our open play is not an absolute or maybe this could have come off. If like you say and we are relying on set pieces we might aswell bin most of them off and sign every player over 6 foot 4 and hire Tony pulls as manager 

Or maybe last night was an extreme example of poor outfield play and not the norm? Of course we want absolutes. I'm pointing out for reference that we had at least a couple of bright moments from open play that could easily have lead to a goal. 

16 minutes ago, Andicis said:

We don't have VAR. I haven't seen it again, but I don't believe the linesman flagged so it would have stood.

I guarantee you wouldn't use the officials as an excuse to benefit Warne, and yet we're discussing subjective decisions in critique of him. 

bobs burgers grasping at straws GIF

The football is crap, the signings have not done little, if anything to improve us. For whatever reason we are struggling to attract talent and not buying this tight budget b******* when he's gone and brought another keeper in to sit on the bench and said Warne himself X player is close next week, only for nowt to happen.

There's no flair, no creativity spark, 5 FIVE at the back just isn't DCFC and never will be.

What he did to Rotherham in this league, kudos. However we aren't Rotherham, just like Nigel Pearson/Leicester weren't us.