v Wigan (H) Match Thread

Day

Just now, Mucker1884 said:

The fat lad?  It's ok, I can say that, cos he was!

Yeah saw him as I sauntered down the steps.  I remember thinking "Who is that fat lad on the pitch, what is he up to, and why the eff is no one bundling/rolling him off"!

He may have been big but stewards too slow to get him! 

14 minutes ago, jameso said:

So you thought Bird and Collins were worse than Bradley and Wildsmith?

I'm not proposing we string up anyone who made critical errors today, but really?

Wildsmith gets a point for stopping the one-on-one shortly after their first goal when Lang got through. Bradley, apart from his back pass, didn’t really do anything else wrong. 

Bird was half a second short to almost everything, he offered next to nothing to our attack despite the ball being played around the edge of the box. Compare it to NML who turned players and at least created opportunities.. like the one for Collins where he failed to kick the ball properly, and as well as that sitter he missed, he was also half a second off it and struggled to hold the ball up. He was chewed up by two defenders still in nappies. He just doesn’t help himself.  

I didn't end up watching it from Azerbaijan, ended up watching the exeter v Wycombe game from Barbados because my daughter couldn't care less about Derby and is a grecian, so I'll chip in with a bit of good news to brighten the gloom clouds tonight... 

Calamity Keogh in this league is even worse, absolutely shocking still, at fault for the exeter third

3 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

He may have been big but stewards too slow to get him! 

Did they try sending our central defenders after him? I've heard they're like lightning(?)

16 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Last season is not history, it’s still very much relevant in terms of judging a manager. And it wasn’t good enough. People have a right to be concerned that certain themes are continuing - lack of control in midfield, exposure to counter attacks, overemphasis on crossing early etc.

I support any manager I think is right for the job. Unfortunately, not many of them have been since McClaren. Warne certainly isn’t.

Last season was fine. I know you like to operate under a ridiculous persona on here, but if we're honest it wasn't great but nor was it catastrophic. Just fine. We now have a clean slate, a new season and Warne has signed his own players for the first time here. It's pretty reasonable to look at just the current season. Like I said, if we're not playing well in 10 games time I will probably have some doubts on whether he is the right man for the job, but we've only played one game, and the defensive mistakes aren't Warne's fault. They severely altered the tempo of the games due to the timing of the mistakes.

Since you've been on this forum, you've never supported a manager. Support how you like, but I find that embarrassing personally. 

Edited by Andicis

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Wildsmith gets a point for stopping the one-on-one shortly after their first goal when Lang got through. Bradley, apart from his back pass, didn’t really do anything else wrong. 

Bird was half a second short to almost everything, he offered next to nothing to our attack despite the ball being played around the edge of the box. Compare it to NML who turned players and at least created opportunities.. like the one for Collins where he failed to kick the ball properly, and as well as that sitter he missed, he was also half a second off it and struggled to hold the ball up. He was chewed up by two defenders still in nappies. He just doesn’t help himself.  

Bird and Collins weren't great, but really? Wildsmith and Bradley lost us the game. Not doing anything else wrong isn't really a mitigating factor when the mistake you have made is a rookie error gifting the opponent a goal. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the game and felt we deserved a point, but blunders that we made a la back pass and flap at cross saw us punished badly.

Had we gone 4-4-2 I think the game would have swung our way, as the back 3 were pedestrian and the midfield swamped time and again

However we looked quite likely going forward and with a more potent attack could have done the business.

One of the main differences for me was how much better they were under pressure, moving the ball confidently ,thwarting most of our attempts to retrieve the ball

PS 

Just renewed  my ST as moved back to good auld Chaddesden ...can anyone tell me if the Carabao cup game on Tuesday is included in the ST or will I have to buy separately.

PPS

Hi to all the old COYR member, saw mucker Corny etc on here, glad to remake your acquaintance

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Bird and Collins weren't great, but really? Wildsmith and Bradley lost us the game. Not doing anything else wrong isn't really a mitigating factor when the mistake you have made is a rookie error gifting the opponent a goal. 

That’s how I would view it, personally. Everyone has their opinions but overall ratings factor situational errors in at a significant weight, but if he’s done well for the rest of the game then it shouldn’t kill him. It also means that as a striker is unlikely to gift the opposition a goal, it’s unlikely he will get a bad rating. The ‘shot’ from NML’s pass was as bad as a shitty back pass in my opinion. 

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Your criticisms are fair enough (albeit stronger than how I saw it) and I'm not holding a grudge against Bradley/Wildsmith but their mistakes directly led to the goals and I can't see how either Bird or Collins had a more detrimental influence on the match than that. 

Bradley didn't do anything else wrong as such, agreed, but he was otherwise average, perhaps a little nervy looking. I could be completely wrong but to me Wildsmith looked like he handled outside the box at least once (I will wait for the video), in both cases looking less than certain how to deal with the situation, which makes a total of 3 unconvincing moments in the match, one of which cost us dearly.

Collins could and probably should have done better with his opportunity but I wouldn't call it a sitter. Ironically he caught it about as well as McGoldrick did the equaliser at Port Vale, and from a similar distance, if memory serves!

1 minute ago, Topram said:

Collins ran his arse off and actually had some nice touches, not his fault the service was terrible, bird passed it out of play from 3 yards and the bloke behind went ffs Collins get of the pitch… the guys just the scape goat 

We put a number of good crosses in the box as well as Collins having a clear chance in the box which he scuffed. I don't think he was the reason we lost today, but let's not pretend he played well and is just being scapegoated. He was one of a number of players who did not play very well today.

Edited by Andicis

36 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Think this is the fascinating thing about football, we all see it so differently. 
I think we could easily have scored 4 on another day, three sitters. Collins 6 yards out unmarked, Bradley free header and Fozzy at the back stick from 5 yards.. easily could have had more on another day. 

I think the last time we really looked toothless like you’re describing was under Rooney where we seemed to be 0-0 at HT every game and zero SOT was a regular occurrence. 

We’re a bit of quality away from cracking it IMO. 

About 6 players I reckon, hopefully sum who move quicker than walking pace.  Felt sorry for Ward, he must have been fuuked.  The new Knight who doesn't 'pull up any trees' as he's too busy digging up everyone's roots. I'm glad we haven't got McGoldrick anymore so we have the chance to spread the goals amongst the others. Especially that centre forward who kept appearing out wide.  We were too reliant on him and things will be much better now with Collo and Waggers. 😂

6 minutes ago, silverback said:

I thoroughly enjoyed the game and felt we deserved a point, but blunders that we made a la back pass and flap at cross saw us punished badly.

Had we gone 4-4-2 I think the game would have swung our way, as the back 3 were pedestrian and the midfield swamped time and again

However we looked quite likely going forward and with a more potent attack could have done the business.

One of the main differences for me was how much better they were under pressure, moving the ball confidently ,thwarting most of our attempts to retrieve the ball

PS 

Just renewed  my ST as moved back to good auld Chaddesden ...can anyone tell me if the Carabao cup game on Tuesday is included in the ST or will I have to buy separately.

PPS

Hi to all the old COYR member, saw mucker Corny etc on here, glad to remake your acquaintance

Great to hear from you buddy.
Hope you and Mrs RJ are keeping mighty fine and dandy!
Muckerette sends her love to you both.

👍🐏🍻

PS:
Season Tickets are for league games only, so you have to buy all cup tickets separately.

I’m not sure today was as calamitous as some are making out; there were periods of the game where we moved the ball well and after we scored it looked like we were the only team who would go on to win it. Forsyth’s miss after his goal was one of those marginal pivotal moments that can change games as at 2-1 up I’d like to think we’d go on to win.

However, there were also some genuine concerns. Defensively we looked very uncertain, while predictably up front there was no danger. Collins did some decent work 30 yards out but in the box he just doesn’t look a threat, very flat footed and stationary, easy to get ahead or mark.

Ward barely got over the half way line in the first half, but was much better second. Yet we don’t play through the middle so if our only tactic is to give it to the wing back then it’s not going to be that hard to play against us. Likewise it was just cross, cross, cross, and vast majority were easily dealt with. Tactically, we don’t look very sophisticated. 

Anyway, from what I saw of Wigan they will be ok this season and would be surprised that if they’re not a top 6 at least on a points-per-game ratio. Warne said they had the best front four in the league, while I’m not sure about that it was very good. McManaman had Ward chasing shadows in the first half, Wyke was who we want Collins to be and I thought Humphrey’s was best of all. Lang, I believe is the highest rated one, but really didn’t see too much from him. I can see why Warne likes them so much. 

I also think the keeper looked excellent and at a such young age should win a lot of plaudits this season. Both centre backs, although young, babysat Collins through the game and stopped him from holding anything up or getting on the end of everything. Aasgard clearly a talented player, too. 

It would be a great achievement if they can get into the play-offs with their -8. Best team aside from Ipswich and Plymouth I’ve seen in this division in the past 12 months anyway.