James Collins

Keepyuppy

8 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

Seeing as waghorn and Washington were already injured and then John Jules got injured with days left in the window then yes I’d suggest we should be preparing for that.

Collins is 32,33. Expecting him to play 90 minutes for the rest of the season was crazy. Likewise as a team chasing promotion you’d probably want a striker to bring off the bench if chasing a game, or even fresh legs if winning to to see it out. 
warne obviously agreed as was trying to sign a striker.

We should have had three or four options at least and been able to get one over the line on deadline day. 

I remember in the not too distant past, Hughes andn Bryson both getting injured and MM going out and panic buying Butterfield and Johnson on deadline day.

If I recall correctly, with hindsight our fans were saying how ridiculous it was...

6 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

I’m not saying they’re good. But if you would rather a winger have to play out of position for a month then that’s your prerogative. To me that scenario makes me sick. 

So you'd rather play someone in their natural position regardless of how good they are?

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I remember in the not too distant past, Hughes andn Bryson both getting injured and MM going out and panic buying Butterfield and Johnson on deadline day.

If I recall correctly, with hindsight our fans were saying how ridiculous it was...

Only the prices paid were ridiculous, the idea of replacing injured players not so much. 

41 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

And how do they fit into the wage structure of our business plan agreed with the EFL?

You saying Gayle/Wickham would want more than what we were willing to pay for Smith/Gregory?

Gayle is a strange one now....

Hardly a 'like for like' replacement for Collins!

Thinking of the out of contract suggestions, theres an ex-Palace - massively injury-prone lump - who's a more obvious replacement for Collins...

42 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

Seeing as waghorn and Washington were already injured and then John Jules got injured with days left in the window then yes I’d suggest we should be preparing for that.

Collins is 32,33. Expecting him to play 90 minutes for the rest of the season was crazy. Likewise as a team chasing promotion you’d probably want a striker to bring off the bench if chasing a game, or even fresh legs if winning to to see it out. 
warne obviously agreed as was trying to sign a striker.

We should have had three or four options at least and been able to get one over the line on deadline day. 

I swear Warne (or Pearce?) said we had a long list of CF options. After finding out the wage/fee demands, the list was reduced to just 3 (or 4?) on deadline day. We agreed everything with 1 of them, then at 8pm their manager or owner decided to cancel the move.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I swear Warne (or Pearce?) said we had a long list of CF options. After finding out the wage/fee demands, the list was reduced to just 3 (or 4?) on deadline day. We agreed everything with 1 of them, then at 8pm their manager or owner decided to cancel the move.

Really? Like we wouldn't know to budget for expensive 'January' strikers? I think the obsession with 'got to be someone who is better/adds' to the squad or whatever it was is a problem. If we have no striker on Saturday any striker with two legs is better! Last January not getting a striker in was a mistake according to Warne. He's done the same again, waiting until the final hours only to be surprised when a deal falls through.

Edited by RoyMac5

26 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So you'd rather play someone in their natural position regardless of how good they are?

Yes especially if it means we aren’t wasting NML. Plus it’s not like I’m suggesting some melt from the national league. These are proven professionals at this level.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Really? Like we wouldn't know to budget for expensive 'January' strikers? I think the obsession with 'got to be someone who is better/adds' to the squad or whatever it was is a problem. If we have no striker on Saturday any striker with two legs is better! Last January not getting a striker in was a mistake according to Warne. He's done the same again, waiting until the final hours only to be surprised when a deal falls through.

Is it ? Haven't we learnt from before, strikers are they rarest commodity and come at a premium.

Rather than panicking and blame PW for the season collapsing just yet, aren't we best to see what happens. All I have heard for months is how bad this league is, if this is the case, then we will be fine.

2 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

Is it ? Haven't we learnt from before, strikers are they rarest commodity and come at a premium.

Rather than panicking and blame PW for the season collapsing just yet, aren't we best to see what happens. All I have heard for months is how bad this league is, if this is the case, then we will be fine.

Even if Collins is fit - which he probably is - we needed another striker. Who (you!) said anything about the season collapsing? Oh what a surprise strikers cost more than most other players, who knew.

Edited by RoyMac5

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Even if Collins is fit - which he probably is - we needed another striker. Who (you!) said anything about the season collapsing? Oh what a surprise strikers cost more than most other players, who knew.

I think everyone knew that we needed a striker, it wasn't a secret and they tried to get one in. They were even told one was coming, I'm not sure what more PW could do, I don't think he holds the purse stings.

27 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

You saying Gayle/Wickham would want more than what we were willing to pay for Smith/Gregory?

I'm not saying anything, I have no idea on our budget or what wages players want, hence why I'm happy to leave it to the people who do.

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

I'm not saying anything, I have no idea on our budget or what wages players want, hence why I'm happy to leave it to the people who do.

You questioned my suggestions inferring they wouldn’t fit in to the business plan. 

I’m suggesting that at least 2 of them probably would. 

Im not savvy to our budget but if we were in for Smith/Gregory then they aren’t on a pack of fags and a mars bar for a wage.

25 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So anyone with two legs is better than nobody, but not the players that we already have, who also happen to have two legs?