James Collins

Keepyuppy

It's all ok, just had a kick around with Mr Collins in the joiners car park, he is so sharp and ready for tomorrow. Got him down to score the perfect hat-rick tomorrow, header, left foot, right foot finishes, to keep us in 2nd place with a 3-0 Rams victory. Once A Ram Always A Ram. 

9 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

You questioned my suggestions inferring they wouldn’t fit in to the business plan. 

I’m suggesting that at least 2 of them probably would. 

Im not savvy to our budget but if we were in for Smith/Gregory then they aren’t on a pack of fags and a mars bar for a wage.

So if we were in for them why did we pull out ? Perhaps we wanted to pay only a figure that fitted in with our business plan , care to tell what that figure is ? , perhaps we wanted to pay only a percentage of theyre wages 🤷🏻‍♂️

10 minutes ago, Archied said:

So if we were in for them why did we pull out ? Perhaps we wanted to pay only a figure that fitted in with our business plan , care to tell what that figure is ? , perhaps we wanted to pay only a percentage of theyre wages 🤷🏻‍♂️

It was reported that our bids especially for Gregory were generous and only Chansiri madness stopped it. That would suggest we were offering a generous percentage. 

Plus we’ve sold Bird so not exactly short of money relatively speaking.

15 minutes ago, Archied said:

Everything coming out about Clowes/Pearson says we are hugely aware of finances and  are determined not to re-make the mistakes of the past.

If other clubs are making OTT demands for 'bit part' players then I can totally see why in consultation Warne said 'Don't do it'... 

It's what I'd  have been thinking! Washington and Waghorn are supposedly close to a return,  Collins is a workhorse who's unlikely to get 'fast twitch' injuries. NML and Barks can do a job in an emergency and we now have options to cover them out wide. In an absolute disaster we can recall Brown from his loan.

No way would I have been thinking we need Wickham. Gayle at a push may have interested me... but now I'd be thinking Wickham fits more into how we play... so I'd then be lumbered with 2 players who are rusty as anything, and one of them breaks down as often as a Morris Minor.

Edited by Chester40

5 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

It was reported that our bids especially for Gregory were generous and only Chansiri madness stopped it. That would suggest we were offering a generous percentage. 

Plus we’ve sold Bird so not exactly short of money relatively speaking.

One mans generous is another man’s poke it up your bum , especially if he’s the type that won’t do a deal even if it makes sense ,IF we were in for them then we didn’t do a deal because they wanted more than we could or would pay , I ask again , care to tell us how much that is and how much wages these free agents want ? Much more than our current players who sit second in the league are on ?

14 minutes ago, Archied said:

One mans generous is another man’s poke it up your bum , especially if he’s the type that won’t do a deal even if it makes sense ,IF we were in for them then we didn’t do a deal because they wanted more than we could or would pay , I ask again , care to tell us how much that is and how much wages these free agents want ? Much more than our current players who sit second in the league are on ?

I know as much as you unless you’re ITK so I’m not really sure what your point is. 

What’s the winning lottery numbers for tonight?

10 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Why are people quoting Gayles scoring record and using it as a reason not to sign him?

He is better than anything we have got (not that we have anything now) and potentially better than anything in league 1.

Chris Martin, CKR, David McGoldrick. None particularly prolific before coming, none too shabby in the end hey!

Perhaps because people are wanting us to sign him as a striker to score goals and it appears he hasnt really done that for quite some years?

I think the idea that we need to sign a striker, anyone, literally anyone that passes the basic entry requirement of having 2 legs is a strange one.

It's strange as Warne is also getting hammered for letting Brown go out on loan.

We do have another young striker at the club, which the last time I counted has 2 legs, Tony Weston.

Weston.png

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

I see the dipstick meltdown is still in progress.

Just another excuse to stick the knife in Warne.

Yes because no one saw our one striker getting an injury did they !

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Perhaps because people are wanting us to sign him as a striker to score goals and it appears he hasnt really done that for quite some years?

Please see exhibit A: Shefki Kuqi record before and when signing for us on loan. His numbers look poor but he did a job for us for the 3 months he was here.IMG_0646.thumb.jpeg.45f440687e87a52a54dfff530311bbfa.jpeg

Is anyone else leaning towards the idea that any injury Collins has, isn't that serious, could even be on the bench today with an injection ready to go if needed?

As a journalist going into a pre match press conference knowing the only fit senior striker was due in for a scan on his knee, knowing that, would that not be the first question you would ask?

Looking over on X, both Dom (Radio Derby) and Leigh (DET) have put nothing out there, the last thing said on the 15th is.....

29 hours later all we get is.....

If he's touch and go for today, would make sense to stay quiet on it, leave that doubt a question for Stevenage to ponder over in their pre match preparations. 

If it was serious in that we're expecting him to miss 3, 4, 6 weeks, no real point in delaying the news. 

I'd stick a cheeky fiver on him being sat on the bench today.

5 minutes ago, David said:

Is anyone else leaning towards the idea that any injury Collins has, isn't that serious, could even be on the bench today with an injection ready to go if needed?

As a journalist going into a pre match press conference knowing the only fit senior striker was due in for a scan on his knee, knowing that, would that not be the first question you would ask?

Looking over on X, both Dom (Radio Derby) and Leigh (DET) have put nothing out there, the last thing said on the 15th is.....

29 hours later all we get is.....

If he's touch and go for today, would make sense to stay quiet on it, leave that doubt a question for Stevenage to ponder over in their pre match preparations. 

If it was serious in that we're expecting him to miss 3, 4, 6 weeks, no real point in delaying the news. 

I'd stick a cheeky fiver on him being sat on the bench today.

Why? Surely it would still leave Stevenage pondering for today’s game?

46 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Please see exhibit A: Shefki Kuqi record before and when signing for us on loan. His numbers look poor but he did a job for us for the 3 months he was here.IMG_0646.thumb.jpeg.45f440687e87a52a54dfff530311bbfa.jpeg

1 goal every 6 games.

NML currently averaging 1 in 5 for us, Barkhuizen 1 in 7. They could do a job for us, no?

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

1 goal every 6 games.

NML currently averaging 1 in 5 for us, Barkhuizen 1 in 7. They could do a job for us, no?

But they aren’t strikers.

They may well do a job for us, I’ll be happy if they do but it just all seems unnecessary and a bit amateur to even be in this position.

But I’ve speculated enough I think about whether we’re doing the right thing or not so I’ll see how we get on today.

1 minute ago, TomTom92 said:

But they aren’t strikers.

They may well do a job for us, I’ll be happy if they do but it just all seems unnecessary and a bit amateur to even be in this position.

But I’ve speculated enough I think about whether we’re doing the right thing or not so I’ll see how we get on today.

To be fair, these are Barkhuizen's games/positions played over his career. Playing him up top wouldn't be the same as Dean Moxey. 

Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 09.12.14.png

57 minutes ago, David said:

I think the idea that we need to sign a striker, anyone, literally anyone that passes the basic entry requirement of having 2 legs is a strange one.

It's strange as Warne is also getting hammered for letting Brown go out on loan.

We do have another young striker at the club, which the last time I counted has 2 legs, Tony Weston.

Weston.png

Weston's more of a 10 who can also play out wide. If he is to play upfront, he would need to be partnered up with a more traditional 9... which doesn't exactly solve our problem.

12 hours ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Dwight Gayle League appearances 

2023/24 season 0 goals in 10 games 

2022/23 season 3 goals in 35 games

2021/22 season 0 goals in 8 games.

2020/21 season 1 goal in 18 games.

2019/20 season 4 goals in 20 games.

Five years, 8 goals, 91 games.

Personally I’d probably prefer the “melt from the national league” 👍🐏

Alternatively, you could look at goals/assists per 90.

23/24 - 0.22 (1 in 402 mins)

22/23 - 0.29 (8 in 2458 mins)

Prior to that he was at Newcastle in the Premier League, and anything earlier isn't anywhere near relevant to his current ability.

Essentially he's a '1 in 4' type player at a Championship club. He would still do a job for us in League 1, which is all we would need until one of our other forwards returns.

It's also a better option than moving Mendez-Laing central and being forced to use just Barkhuizen, Blackett-Taylor (struggling with injuries), Wilson (may be needed at RB), and Sibley (may be needed at LB) on the wings.