Krystian Bielik

Day

You know what? Good luck to him. A type of player that appeals to me he was one who easily have been my favourite, it was never to be. From day 1 his agent implied we were a stepping stone and so it has proven, mayhaps not in the direction assumed at the time. It is a shame that we saw so little as I'm sure he was that magical missing piece from the teams that got oh so close to promotion. 

A new contract could easily be him and his team demanding more now as he's probably played more this last season than any before (I'm not going to look it up) and not even Birmingham would have set him on with our level of wages given his injury record. Perhaps moved from appearances to a flat rate? I dont know.

I'd be stunned if a new contract will be to protect his value, the power rests with the player and if there was a sniff of higher interest they wouldn't sign the contract and go for less to facilitate it as a higher price may put suitors off given the greater gamble on this player.

13 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Still a mystery to me why we paid so much money at a time we really didn’t have any whilst he had a few very good games he was basically ok - good luck to him as it wasn’t his fault 

Too right.

Totally out of kilter with what we were spending at the time. An enormous fee for someone who was a gamble with a limited track record.

Made no sense, then or now.

Doesn't get the attention of Blackman, Anya, Bradley Johnson etc because they seemed misjudged, over priced... but in context they made some kind of lazy 'sense'.

His signing made no sense unless you were absolutely loaded.

Edited by Chester40

12 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Too right.

Totally out of kilter with what we were spending at the time. An enormous fee for someone who was a gamble with a limited track record.

Made no sense, then or now.

Doesn't get the attention of Blackman, Anya, Bradley Johnson etc because they seemed misjudged, over priced... but in context they made some kind of lazy 'sense'.

His signing made no sense unless you were absolutely loaded.

I presume he was meant to be the new Thorne, the missing piece in midfield. And he might have been.

On 07/05/2024 at 11:55, TomTom92 said:

Don’t hold anything against Bielik. His wage was too high for a league 1 club and world cups come every 4 years so can’t fault him for wanting to get that gig. 

Think Buchanan is by far the bigger snake and i can’t help but revel in his situation.

What did Buchanan actually do? My memory is hazy.

2 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

What did Buchanan actually do? My memory is hazy.

He used employment legislation, along with Byrne,  to ensure that his contract extension could not be passed over to the.new owner following administration, thereby getting himself a free as Derby could not take up the extension previously agreed .  It was supposed to be for commercial contracts.  Double downed by his agent being Marco Gabbiadini.  Particularly galling as the club gave him incredible support as a 17 yr old when his career could have gone a very different direction.

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He used employment legislation, along with Byrne,  to ensure that his contract extension could not be passed over to the.new owner following administration, thereby getting himself a free as Derby could not take up the extension previously agreed .  It was supposed to be for commercial contracts.  Double downed by his agent being Marco Gabbiadini.  Particularly galling as the club gave him incredible support as a 17 yr old when his career could have gone a very different direction.

... though we won the cases at (FIFA?) tribunal and rightfully received compensation fees for both in the end.

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

... though we won the cases at (FIFA?) tribunal and rightfully received compensation fees for both in the end.

Doesn't change their attitude mind. Could the same tribunal try having a word with Crystal Palace, see if they can extract a few pennies for a player who up until now seems to have been borrowed from us only?

9 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Doesn't change their attitude mind. Could the same tribunal try having a word with Crystal Palace, see if they can extract a few pennies for a player who up until now seems to have been borrowed from us only?

I know, I'm not defending the players at all, they're rats and always will be.

How do you know we haven't been paid for Ebiowei?

Damn those laws and legislation eh - making decisions without bias to either side of the argument. It simply never fails to amaze me that fans think players owe clubs anything. That is what a contract is for, it is the agreement of how either party will engage and it is written and signed both by sides in full agreement of that.

Five years ago Bielik didn't know Derby County from Sporting Gijon so why he would now suddenly commit his personal future when other financial options are put to him.

For Buchanan, he used what was available to further his career, it doesn't make him a snake or a traitor, it makes him somoene who took advice to understand the options and acted upon those.

If you want to see the other side of the picture I have a friend whose lad was in the Norwich City academy. Been there since he was twelve, they decided they weren't going to renew his contract but knew it would be more expensive to pay him off. So they took away his 'peg' in the changing room and made him train alone. A seventeen year old kid, who had foregone large parts of his education for them.

It is a ruthless sport behind the scenes and it's every man (or woman, before anyone says it) for themselves.

Edited by BaaLocks

15 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I know, I'm not defending the players at all, they're rats and always will be.

How do you know we haven't been paid for Ebiowei?

I've got no idea if they have paid or not. The general consensus on here is that they haven't. Again, no one from outside the club actually knows, so maybe they have paid and the club have said nothing so as not to alert selling clubs that we have more money available. It was a bit of a throw away comment to be honest.

8 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Damn those laws and legislation eh - making decisions without bias to either side of the argument. It simply never fails to amaze me that fans think players owe clubs anything. That is what a contract is for, it is the agreement of how either party will engage and it is written and signed both by sides in full agreement of that.

Five years ago Bielik didn't know Derby County from Sporting Gijon so why he would now suddenly commit his personal future when other financial options are put to him.

For Buchanan, he used what was available to further his career, it doesn't make him a snake or a traitor, it makes him somoene who took advice to understand the options and acted upon those.

If you want to see the other side of the picture I have a friend whose lad was in the Norwich City academy. Been there since he was twelve, they decided they weren't going to renew his contract but knew it would be more expensive to pay him off. So they took away his 'peg' in the changing room and made him train alone. A seventeen year old kid, who had foregone large parts of his education for them.

It is a ruthless sport behind the scenes and it's every man (or woman, before anyone says it) for themselves.

You're right. ALL clubs at the end of the day are looking after their own interests. Very rarely does a club go out of it's way to help a player financially if they don't expect to get anything in return, and when they do it's usually a seasoned pro a la Shaun Barker. Youngsters are never going to get anything more than a thank you and a good recommendation if they aren't considered up to the required level. Buchanan does not however come into the category of not making it. He was an important member of the squad. He had been helped out when things could have gone very differently, again because it was in the club's interest, and from a fan's perspective did the dirty on the club. I 100% don't blame him for trying to better himself, just don't like the way he went about it.

On 13/07/2024 at 07:32, Chopper said:

You know what? Good luck to him. A type of player that appeals to me he was one who easily have been my favourite, it was never to be. From day 1 his agent implied we were a stepping stone and so it has proven, mayhaps not in the direction assumed at the time. It is a shame that we saw so little as I'm sure he was that magical missing piece from the teams that got oh so close to promotion. 

A new contract could easily be him and his team demanding more now as he's probably played more this last season than any before (I'm not going to look it up) and not even Birmingham would have set him on with our level of wages given his injury record. Perhaps moved from appearances to a flat rate? I dont know.

I'd be stunned if a new contract will be to protect his value, the power rests with the player and if there was a sniff of higher interest they wouldn't sign the contract and go for less to facilitate it as a higher price may put suitors off given the greater gamble on this player.

The stepping stones Bielik's agent sent him over...

iURQx2.gif

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

On 16/07/2024 at 06:36, Carnero said:

On 16/07/2024 at 08:19, BaaLocks said:

They both signed contracts that gave the club the option to extend the contracts for an extra year, but they used the fact that the club was in Administration and wasn't allowed to issue NEW contracts to argue that that included the triggering of Options. They knew when they signed the contracts that those options were included, yet they took advantage of the clubs position to wriggle out of honouring them. 

You see how players acting selfishly in such situations might be frowned upon by fans.

Edited by Crewton

4 hours ago, Crewton said:

You see how players acting selfishly in such situations might be frowned upon by fans.

I do, but I am always surprised how fans expect players who five years ago had never heard of our club to act with honour and loyalty that I doubt they would show if faced with the same position with their own employer.

If my company went into administration and I had chance to get out of my contract to allow me to go and earn more money elsewhere I would do it, without a second thought. And if they had chance to sever their relations with me under some similar clause I fully expect they would do it if it was beneficial to them.

Yet when it is some footballer a different code is somehow expected? As Michael Corleone said "it's not personal, it's strictly business"

On 14/07/2024 at 10:36, RoyMac5 said:

I presume he was meant to be the new Thorne, the missing piece in midfield. And he might have been.

But at that time we still had; Huddlestone, Shinnie, Evans, Thorne himself, Holmes, Dowell and were about to sign Rooney.

Knight, Bird and Sibley were all about to break through.

I know some of those are #10s but obviously that would remove the need for a player in midfield.

Don’t get me wrong, Bielik probably paid for himself with that 13 game spell in 20/21 that single handedly kept us - but why were we looking at midfielders? Let alone breaking our transfer record on one.

Edited by cannable

• 5 weeks later...