Glastonbury 2023

OoooMarkWright

Thoughts so far?

Churnups aka Foo Fighters, excellent as always.

Arctic Monkeys, terrible. Boring. Turned em off. They’ve completely gone away from what made them an excellent band. Nothing will beat that first album, but Turner is now a crooner who is arrogant and had zero interaction with the crowd. Everything was slow and dull. Terrible. Third time headlining, doubt there will be a 4th.

Rick Ashley sounded decent. Couteeners too. Not seen much else yet. 
Guns N Roses tonight and Elton tomorrow!

23 minutes ago, enachops said:

Arctic Monkeys, terrible. Boring. Turned em off. They’ve completely gone away from what made them an excellent band. Nothing will beat that first album, but Turner is now a crooner who is arrogant and had zero interaction with the crowd. Everything was slow and dull. Terrible. Third time headlining, doubt there will be a 4th.

People expect them to be the same band they were 20 years ago, they aren't. They've grown up and stopped singing about scrapping bouncers and people are whinging. They were great, their new sound isn't to everyone's taste but they're still easily the best British band of the 21st century by a country mile. Alex Turner has never been one for much crowd interaction, in fact he was actually doing a lot more than normal last night. Body Paint, from The Car, is outstanding and is one of their best songs. This guy summed it up nicely:

The Lathums played on the Other Stage at 1pm this afternoon, they were incredible. They'll be headlining the Pyramid Stage soon. 

Edited by Jubbs

28 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

People expect them to be the same band they were 20 years ago, they aren't. They've grown up and stopped singing about scrapping bouncers and people are whinging. They were great, their new sound isn't to everyone's taste but they're still easily the best British band of the 21st century by a country mile. Alex Turner has never been one for much crowd interaction, in fact he was actually doing a lot more than normal last night. Body Paint, from The Car, is outstanding and is one of their best songs. This guy summed it up nicely:

The Lathums played on the Other Stage at 1pm this afternoon, they were incredible. They'll be headlining the Pyramid Stage soon. 

Agree about The Lathams. Not seen their set yet, but I rate them highly.

Disagree about Arctic Monkeys. I get they can’t sing the same things and bands evolve. But they’ve evolved into absolute turd. Useless. 

2 minutes ago, enachops said:

But they’ve evolved into absolute turd. Useless. 

We'll agree to disagree then. Their gig in Sheffield a 2 weeks back was the best gig I've ever been to and ever will.

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

That’s fine and obviously they are going to evolve etc. Their new stuff isn’t to my taste but obviously is to some people’s as it’s still very successful but can’t help but think a festival environment, even more so at Glasto as a lot of people aren’t going to be their hardcore, they should lean into their old stuff more. Get the feeling Alex Turner resents singing it because their older stuff was more mainstream popular (and he has disappeared up his own arse over the last 10 years or so), which is why he randomly kept changing the pace of the old stuff yesterday. Sometimes it’s fine not to try and be too clever 

Fred again has done the best set I’ve seen so far, looked incredible 

38 minutes ago, ram59 said:

How much of our license fee is being spent on it, whilst the BBC are cutting back on local services?

About 10% of the money the BBC used to spend on music programming back in the TOTP's days. 

For that much reduced spend, as a proportion of income, they get many, many times the hours of music coverage across a year than they used to. 

Great value for money from the BBC.

48 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Royal Blood and Foo Fighters were good.

Royal Blood, not really my thing, though not far away from it, but I love the overall sound from the two of them, and the way he plays bass like its a six string guitar. 

Edited by ketteringram

I thought Lewis Capaldi set was good but boy is he struggling mentally. 

His Netflix doc sums up his struggles and I thought they came across on stage today. 

Fair play to him for turning up and getting through it. 👍

14 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

I thought Lewis Capaldi set was good but boy is he struggling mentally. 

His Netflix doc sums up his struggles and I thought they came across on stage today. 

Fair play to him for turning up and getting through it. 👍

Yeah, very uncomfortable. Couldn't even put his earpiece in.  Not sure he's been best advised stress wise, particularly doing another stint later on . 

4 hours ago, enachops said:

Thoughts so far?

Churnups aka Foo Fighters, excellent as always.

Rick Ashley sounded decent. Couteeners too. Not seen much else yet. 
Guns N Roses tonight and Elton tomorrow!

Very pedestrian .  Almost Neil Young and Dylan.  We play what we want and not what you like. 

I loved the Foos. They seemed to have a different energy, they’ve changed a few sections of songs which really showcases Josh’s drumming. Nate looked more animated than I’ve seen him before as well. And so lovely to see Violet singing with her Dad.

I watched the Arctic Monkeys’ set kind of waiting for the penny to drop. I absolutely loved their first album, I think it’s the best debut album I’ve ever heard, but nothing since then has really moved me. I have to say, I still don’t get it. They’re super talented and Alex Turner has a hell of a lot of charisma (even though he’s not that chatty), but their music doesn’t do it for me. It hasn’t got enough b*******, for want of a better word, compared to the first album.