Ruben Rodrigues - Joined Oxford United

Srg

We need to see how it plays out, of course, but he was a player I did think would be a good option for us at least from off the bench. Oxford have nowhere near the financial pull of ourselves and were close to being relegated last season. We will never know, of course, but if he goes to Oxford and does well then questions should be asked. 

If he goes to Oxford and stinks it up, struggles to play at this level then credit to the recruitment team and Warne for side stepping what would've been a pointless signing.

If he does well, the fans are well within their right to ask questions - I'm not sure which would be worse: 1) We couldn't sell the club to him over a move to Oxford, despite already being settled in the area or 2) we can't properly evaluate talent - even when it's on our own doorstep. 

No panic of course, but definitely a player to see how we develops at Oxford. 

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

If he goes to Oxford and stinks it up, struggles to play at this level then credit to the recruitment team and Warne for side stepping what would've been a pointless signing.

If he does well, the fans are well within their right to ask questions - I'm not sure which would be worse: 1) We couldn't sell the club to him over a move to Oxford, despite already being settled in the area or 2) we can't properly evaluate talent - even when it's on our own doorstep. 

No panic of course, but definitely a player to see how we develops at Oxford. 

Do we know the recruitment team actively pursued him?

For what it’s worth, I watched Notts County 3 or 4 times last season and cannot remember him.

John Bostock was the one that stood out in the Notts County team.

Whether I caught him on bad games I don’t know, but stepping up two leagues could be a big ask.

3 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

Do we know the recruitment team actively pursued him?

That's the point - if he goes to Oxford and does well then we have to ask questions of the recruitment team. They need to prove they can evaluate talent properly hence why we need to wait and see how he does before having an appropriate opinion. If he does poorly then you have to praise them for not going after a player who would've ultimately offered nothing. 

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

That's the point - if he goes to Oxford and does well then we have to ask questions of the recruitment team. They need to prove they can evaluate talent properly hence why we need to wait and see how he does before having an appropriate opinion. If he does poorly then you have to praise them for not going after a player who would've ultimately offered nothing. 

Even if he is a standout player for them it doesn’t necessarily follow that he would fit into our system.

30 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

That’s IF we were even interested in signing him. You simply can’t take newspaper and social media speculation as being fact

Leigh Curtis is the most reliable and he said in his Q&A we were certainly interested. Warne went to watch him play in the play offs and was interested whilst at Rotherham, I think it's fair to say we were interested.

Just now, Jubbs said:

Leigh Curtis is the most reliable and he said in his Q&A we were certainly interested. Warne went to watch him play in the play offs and was interested whilst at Rotherham, I think it's fair to say we were interested.

He didn't say that at all. He said Warne watched him when he was at Rotherham but didn't pursue it.

Clubs that were linked were Cardiff, Blackpool, Portsmouth and Derby.

There's not a chance he would choose Oxford over any of them.