Saudi Retirement Home

Day

I'm finding it quite funny that the PL is being pillaged for talent by the Saudis - for years they've bought the cream of European football - now the boot is on the other foot and a lot of the owners will be thinking that they simply can't compete....

I may feel diferently if we're in the PL in the next few years, but as it stands, I'm loving them losing out....

7 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I'm finding it quite funny that the PL is being pillaged for talent by the Saudis - for years they've bought the cream of European football - now the boot is on the other foot and a lot of the owners will be thinking that they simply can't compete....

I may feel diferently if we're in the PL in the next few years, but as it stands, I'm loving them losing out....

That isn't what's happening though. What's happened is the likes of Chelsea have spent way too much on players and put them on way too much per week and the only place they can dump contracts like that to try and comply with FFP is Saudi Arabia. Most of the players going are way past their peak too.

Ruben Neves is probably the only one who could be argued is in his prime, but even that that, Wolves are in a tough financial position and were forced to be a selling club... and found the easiest dance partner going to get them out the hole.

Edited by Srg

47 minutes ago, Srg said:

That isn't what's happening though. What's happened is the likes of Chelsea have spent way too much on players and put them on way too much per week and the only place they can dump contracts like that to try and comply with FFP is Saudi Arabia. Most of the players going are way past their peak too.

Ruben Neves is probably the only one who could be argued is in his prime, but even that that, Wolves are in a tough financial position and were forced to be a selling club... and found the easiest dance partner going to get them out the hole.

Firminho? Mitrovic? Rodrigo from Leeds? - possibly Henderson? - all more than capable of still playing in the PL, but they're being offered crazy contracts and walking away leaving the PL poorer for it....

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

Firminho? Mitrovic? Rodrigo from Leeds? - possibly Henderson? - all more than capable of still playing in the PL, but they're being offered crazy contracts and walking away leaving the PL poorer for it....

Firmino is 31, Rodrigo is 32 and Henderson is 33. 

a bit part player, one who went down and one who is on the cusp of being replaced. 

You need stronger evidence than that. 

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Firmino is 31, Rodrigo is 32 and Henderson is 33. 

a bit part player, one who went down and one who is on the cusp of being replaced. 

You need stronger evidence than that. 

I really don’t - my opinion is equally as valid as yours….and I note that you didn’t mention Mitrovic who’s 28…..

22 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I really don’t - my opinion is equally as valid as yours….and I note that you didn’t mention Mitrovic who’s 28…..

To be fair, haven't Fulham ruled out him leaving? 

Just as important to them as Kane is to Spurs, would take something nuts to release him.

50 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Your opinion is valid when you give proper evidence to have it. You haven’t. 

8 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I remember Anzhi Makachkala (?) doing this with the likes of Hulk and Roberto Carlos. Didn't work

I remember Chinese teams doing it with the likes of Oscar and Feillaini. Didn't work.

Saudi seem far more serious about it though. Buying Newcastle, the whole sport of golf, etc. Not saying it will end up working, but I'd give it a much better chance than Russia and China.

• 2 weeks later...

If that’s the genuine offer, then I struggle to see how any involved can reject it. Mbappe. Insane amounts of money, Mbappe ends up at Madrid anyway, PSG avoid any FFP sanctions and Saudi soaks up the financial burden whilst getting a one year reputation boost for the league.

Mbappe has won everything except for the Champions League, which probably won’t happen until he goes to Real Madrid anyway.