Saudi Retirement Home

Day

Anyway….

How long before we see kids in England wearing replica shirts of Saudi clubs?  Hopefully never but I’m not optimistic.  I’ve seen a kid at a Rams’ game wearing the full PSG Mbappe.  And plenty around town with PSG logo shirts. (And, no, they weren’t speaking French!).

10 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

It depends how you invest it. I mean, Henderson can pretty much more than double his entire income from his career in just 2 years. It probably won’t make that much difference to his life, aside from being able to buy nicer things like more expensive toys, a yacht, a bigger house, but it gives the ability to set up those around you for life too.

£1mill can pretty much set up anybody who is middle class for life providing they invest it wisely. Henderson could use some of that chunk to set up say 10-20 of his family members or closest friends. Just from two years kicking a bag of air around with zero pressure.

Or…. He could do something good with it.  I’m not holding my breath 

5 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

There's one issue with this; it's just not true. We aren't hardwired to gain as much money as we can, and it certainly is not everyone's primary life goal. I'm not sure who you spend time around or how many people you know, but basic observation of human behaviour demonstrates this is simply incorrect. You oftentimes say this forum isn't about accumulating money and even costs you money to run, if acquiring resources is your hardwired primary motivation then why do you run it? It wouldn't make any sense unless we aren't hardwired to simply accrue capital and instead desire other things as well. 

Additionally, money is a socio-political construction, not a biological imperative, unlike food or sex. There may be an argument to say many of us strive to acquire additional resources until we become comfortable and even desirable to others, but there is also a law of diminishing returns i.e., once you acquire a sufficient amount the desire to keep accumulating generally weakens, and other factors come into play. There are plenty of examples of people selling businesses or taking early retirement once they feel they have enough to be comfortable. I know a fair few people who are exchanging bonuses or pay raises for additional time off work. 

Mbappe would be an idiot to take the offer. He doesn't need the money and at this stage in his career taking a year out is a massive hit professionally no matter how you try and spin it. He'll earn all the money he'll ever need at both PSG, Real Madrid, and other sponsorships. 

Yeah, I disagree with all of this.

As for the forum, not everything you do is for money, this was born from a way to stay up to date with the football club as I live outside the area.

It cost me a fiver a month, there was never any intention to make a penny from it.

If you want to believe that everyone goes to work for a laugh though, something to do, I would suggest you need to observe human behaviour more yourself.

Life is about survival, providing for your family, we're all trying to survive in our own ways, what makes survival easier and more comfortable is money. Hence why we are all hardwired to earn as much as we can.

Deny it as much as you want, or make out I live in a room by myself and never talk to humans but it won't make any of this incorrect.

Mbappe, take the money away for a second.

Could stay at PSG, not play any games for a year and train with the kids which they have threatened him with. That would damage his career professionally far more than playing a year in Saudi.

Whilst it might not be the most competitive of leagues, you can make the same argument for Ligue 1.

38 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

My Brother in law worked out there for a while, my sister hated it, even the western women were hit with sticks if they didn’t cover their face. He also worked in Dubai which was much better and my sister loved it.

They made enough money to buy a big house in Keyworth with Frank Clarke as a neighbour.

Yeah I can't imagine it would be much fun, as Westerners we are not used to living in that kind of environment.

Like your example, they earned the money and came back and used to buy the big house many dream of.

Don't get me wrong, as a country, they are morally bankrupt, I just also believe our horse is not that high to be sat on whilst we follow the US into bombing other countries, there we go.

I work here, take the pounds but that does not mean I agree with how the country operates.

Same would apply out in Saudi.

Give me the choice of any other country outside of the Middle East with the same money, I'm taking it.

32 minutes ago, David said:

Yeah, I disagree with all of this.

As for the forum, not everything you do is for money, this was born from a way to stay up to date with the football club as I live outside the area.

It cost me a fiver a month, there was never any intention to make a penny from it.

If you want to believe that everyone goes to work for a laugh though, something to do, I would suggest you need to observe human behaviour more yourself.

Life is about survival, providing for your family, we're all trying to survive in our own ways, what makes survival easier and more comfortable is money. Hence why we are all hardwired to earn as much as we can.

Deny it as much as you want, or make out I live in a room by myself and never talk to humans but it won't make any of this incorrect.

Mbappe, take the money away for a second.

Could stay at PSG, not play any games for a year and train with the kids which they have threatened him with. That would damage his career professionally far more than playing a year in Saudi.

Whilst it might not be the most competitive of leagues, you can make the same argument for Ligue 1.

I'm not saying people go to work for a laugh, and nowhere have I even indicated that. I stated that your reductive statement that the primary goal of life is to attain money was wrong—something which the forum example and your response prove my point for me. There are other considerations than money alone and sometimes those considerations top the desire to accumulate resources.  

Just now, Leeds Ram said:

I'm not saying people go to work for a laugh, and nowhere have I even indicated that. I stated that your reductive statement that the primary goal of life is to attain money was wrong—something which the forum example and your response prove my point for me. There are other considerations than money alone and sometimes those considerations top the desire to accumulate resources.  

Ok, but it all comes back to money whichever way you look at it.

Look at credit cards, finance, used to pay for holidays, the latest iPhones as we want them now, willing to pay interest to get them now.

None of those would be considered essentials, yet they are things that make us happy. 

The more money you have, the bigger and better the toys, the more glamorous hotels and let's not forget the partner you can get.

Why is it ugly and I mean ugly footballers have these beautiful wives? I don't doubt for a second that they could be great men and deserve them, yet you have to have that initial attraction. 

Attraction being money in these cases.

Who are we to sit here and say another man has too much, he doesn't need more money. There is no socially accepted monetary figure that has been decided, that's enough.

26 minutes ago, David said:

Look at credit cards, finance, used to pay for holidays, the latest iPhones as we want them now, willing to pay interest to get them now.

None of those would be considered essentials, yet they are things that make us happy. 

The more money you have, the bigger and better the toys, the more glamorous hotels and let's not forget the partner you can get.

Why is it ugly and I mean ugly footballers have these beautiful wives? I don't doubt for a second that they could be great men and deserve them, yet you have to have that initial attraction. 

Who are we to sit here and say another man has too much, he doesn't need more money. There is no socially accepted monetary figure that has been decided, that's enough.

Blimey. Do you think everyone is like that?

57 minutes ago, David said:

Yeah, this is precisely the reductive view I do not agree with as I laid out in my first response to you. I'm not going to repeat as you have a view that won't shift which is fair enough.

If I was Mbappe I would have already signed...

It appears that relations have broken down at PSG and he wants a dream move to Real Madrid.  Virtually no one can afford his transfer fee and wages in Europe, especially for a player might 'phone it in' until he gets the move he wants.

A year out of his career at his age won't damage him, he can pocket the best part of a billion quid, then be at arguably the best team to try and win La Liga/Champions League during his prime.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/07/2023 at 12:01, Bessie1 said:

Anyway….

How long before we see kids in England wearing replica shirts of Saudi clubs?  Hopefully never but I’m not optimistic.  I’ve seen a kid at a Rams’ game wearing the full PSG Mbappe.  And plenty around town with PSG logo shirts. (And, no, they weren’t speaking French!).

Just come back from Zante and loads of kids are wearing the Ronaldo ones

On 26/07/2023 at 13:31, AndyinLiverpool said:

Blimey. Do you think everyone is like that?

You’re not wrong, life isn’t about accumulating as much money as possible. It’s about being happy, doing whatever it is that makes you happy. For most people, it’s not their work that makes them particularly happy. It’s their work that allows them to do the things that make them happy.

if you could earn enough money in a year or two to take work out of the equation for the rest of your life, you’d be able to spend all your time just doing things that make you happy.

so money isn’t the ultimate motivator, but it is the facilitator.

I hate these films that end with the busy dad missing an important work meeting to be at his kids baseball game. What a lovely moment. But when he turns up to work on Monday and gets sacked, and can’t pay the mortgage and can’t put food on the table, I hope his kid cherishes that moment. Can’t buy food with a home run. Life doesn’t work like that. 

On 08/08/2023 at 19:36, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

😂😂😂🙈🙈🙈🙈😱😱😱😱😱

Not the £700k per week tax free then Jordan???

I smell a big stinking pile of 🐂💩💨😱😂😂

IMG_1867.jpeg

exactly. no one in their right mind would turn down that sort of money. not even millionaires. 

he should of just said ‘ im here cos im a grabbing bstard!’

On 08/08/2023 at 20:28, Bobby said:

Just come back from Zante and loads of kids are wearing the Ronaldo ones

What do you expect? He's an icon of the game and the most followed celebrity on Instagram so world famous. If he played for Akbar's Sheish Kebab FC people would get his shirt.

On 10/08/2023 at 23:14, Ram-a-lama fa fa fa said:

exactly. no one in their right mind would turn down that sort of money. not even millionaires. 

he should of just said ‘ im here cos im a grabbing bstard!’

If I took that money (and I'm skint), my kids would never speak to me again. You can be in your right mind and not take the 30 pieces.