Saudi Retirement Home

Day

Not sure why anyone would go to Saudi while in their prime. Yes, the money Mbappe would be on is out of this world, but he's already made a fortune which he'd struggle to spend in 10 lifetimes. How much more money do these people need? Henderson going there is another one. He could have played a significant role as a squad member at Liverpool, maybe winning another trophy or two, which he could regale with the grandkids. What's he going to talk about that part of his career now? How he played in a dodgy league because he wanted another few million in the bank, burying the twilight days of his England career in the process. This was also the bloke who got annoyed at fans' protests to the players over the proposed super league and apparently wanted no part of it.... 

Unfortunately, these players are a generation who often put the material above other considerations. If you're a top top player now the money you earn in 5 years is more than enough to secure you and your family for the rest of your life. Yes, your career is short, which is why the priority should be squeezing every last ounce out of the experience of being a professional athlete. Surely, that is more important than whether you have a 6 or a 7 at the head of god knows how many zeros. 

Saudi is spending a lot of money trying to make the league desirable. However, taking over an anaemic PGA tour and remoulding the footballing hierarchy is a whole different ball game. While they're making waves now and will do for the next 2-3 seasons, I struggle to see an actual shift in footballing power. No one gives a damn about these clubs, and I can't see how anyone will give a damn in the future. The average attendance is around 10,000 per game, and they're not developing regionally, which would be the smart thing to do. 

They'll keep buying big-name players at the tail end of their careers to try and kick-start something, but I can't see it rivalling European football any time soon. No champions league, and likely the top national teams will not be picking players who go over there once they make the move will prove decisive. As soon as Uefa put the screws on the Superleague, it stopped dead in its tracks, precisely because it meant if they did go through with it, removal from every structure that's been put in place for over 50 years. That's not to say Uefa won't create a Superleague (they have in all but name) but that it will only ever take place on their turf. 

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Fair point. So everyone from half way up the premier league downwards becomes the new English football league.

i can see a súper league consisting of more than the 10 or so clubs that were originally pencilled in for it though. It’ll be open for any club that can buy their way in basically. Ie I’m sure Newcastle would be part of those talks now. In fact, it’s probably more accurate to think of it as a middle eastern super league, not a European super league, made up of mostly Arabian owned clubs from around the world.

I find it ironic that, for all the success that the likes of Man City have managed to buy their way to, ultimately the money will kill their club for all intents and purposes. They’ll be in a super league franchise and the old Man City won’t really exist any more.

then you’ll have this super league, where eh very best players can go play for mega bucks, and you’ll have the domestic league where the b list players could play, and we’d have a much better chance of imposing spends caps, wage caps, etc. and bring the financial side under control domestically.

Nobody wants a super league. Players managers and fans. The greedy money men tried it before and it was dead and buried before long.

5 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

Not sure why anyone would go to Saudi while in their prime. Yes, the money Mbappe would be on is out of this world, but he's already made a fortune which he'd struggle to spend in 10 lifetimes. How much more money do these people need? Henderson going there is another one. He could have played a significant role as a squad member at Liverpool, maybe winning another trophy or two, which he could regale with the grandkids. What's he going to talk about that part of his career now? How he played in a dodgy league because he wanted another few million in the bank, burying the twilight days of his England career in the process. This was also the bloke who got annoyed at fans' protests to the players over the proposed super league and apparently wanted no part of it.... 

Unfortunately, these players are a generation who often put the material above other considerations. If you're a top top player now the money you earn in 5 years is more than enough to secure you and your family for the rest of your life. Yes, your career is short, which is why the priority should be squeezing every last ounce out of the experience of being a professional athlete. Surely, that is more important than whether you have a 6 or a 7 at the head of god knows how many zeros. 

Saudi is spending a lot of money trying to make the league desirable. However, taking over an anaemic PGA tour and remoulding the footballing hierarchy is a whole different ball game. While they're making waves now and will do for the next 2-3 seasons, I struggle to see an actual shift in footballing power. No one gives a damn about these clubs, and I can't see how anyone will give a damn in the future. The average attendance is around 10,000 per game, and they're not developing regionally, which would be the smart thing to do. 

They'll keep buying big-name players at the tail end of their careers to try and kick-start something, but I can't see it rivalling European football any time soon. No champions league, and likely the top national teams will not be picking players who go over there once they make the move will prove decisive. As soon as Uefa put the screws on the Superleague, it stopped dead in its tracks, precisely because it meant if they did go through with it, removal from every structure that's been put in place for over 50 years. That's not to say Uefa won't create a Superleague (they have in all but name) but that it will only ever take place on their turf. 

Professional football is very lucrative but I can guarantee many out there, even the high earners, fall into the lifestyle inflation trap and with few solid investments wish they’d done it differently later on in life.

Saudi is offering extreme wealth for just a couple of years. For some, it could be the smart move.

Henderson is reportedly on £140k per week at Liverpool so probably some £4mill a year after taxes.

I read he is being offered £700k a week in Saudi after taxes. That is £35m a year. In two years in Saudi he will earn more than his entire career in England.

Those two years doesn’t just set him up for life, but all his close family members too.

It’s a massive difference.

To put it in perspective:

1 million seconds is 11.5 days

1 billion seconds is 31.71 years.

when you start adding zeros onto things, that’s the difference it makes. That’s just 3 extra zeros.

someone offers you an extra zero to go to Saudi, that’s the difference between living comfortably for the rest of your life, or you, your kids, your grandkids and your great grandkids being set up for life. 

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Professional football is very lucrative but I can guarantee many out there, even the high earners, fall into the lifestyle inflation trap and with few solid investments wish they’d done it differently later on in life.

Saudi is offering extreme wealth for just a couple of years. For some, it could be the smart move.

Henderson is reportedly on £140k per week at Liverpool so probably some £4mill a year after taxes.

I read he is being offered £700k a week in Saudi after taxes. That is £35m a year. In two years in Saudi he will earn more than his entire career in England.

Those two years doesn’t just set him up for life, but all his close family members too.

It’s a massive difference.

I'm not sure it's a massive difference really.

If a normal person was on 14k per year then they were offered 70k per year, that would be a massive difference. You might now be able to buy a house, go on holiday abroad, not have to scrimp to put food on the table.

If you've already earnt 35 million after tax and someone offers you the same again, it's not going to change your life very much. I guess if you had spent all your money on women that you and your team mates could all fk on the same night, you might need the cash so you can keep on doing it. 

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

I'm not sure it's a massive difference really.

If a normal person was on 14k per year then they were offered 70k per year, that would be a massive difference. You might now be able to buy a house, go on holiday abroad, not have to scrimp to put food on the table.

If you've already earnt 35 million after tax and someone offers you the same again, it's not going to change your life very much. I guess if you had spent all your money on women that you and your team mates could all fk on the same night, you might need the cash so you can keep on doing it. 

It depends how you invest it. I mean, Henderson can pretty much more than double his entire income from his career in just 2 years. It probably won’t make that much difference to his life, aside from being able to buy nicer things like more expensive toys, a yacht, a bigger house, but it gives the ability to set up those around you for life too.

£1mill can pretty much set up anybody who is middle class for life providing they invest it wisely. Henderson could use some of that chunk to set up say 10-20 of his family members or closest friends. Just from two years kicking a bag of air around with zero pressure.

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

It depends how you invest it. I mean, Henderson can pretty much more than double his entire income from his career in just 2 years. It probably won’t make that much difference to his life, aside from being able to buy nicer things like more expensive toys, a yacht, a bigger house, but it gives the ability to set up those around you for life too.

£1mill can pretty much set up anybody who is middle class for life providing they invest it wisely. Henderson could use some of that chunk to set up say 10-20 of his family members or closest friends. Just from two years kicking a bag of air around with zero pressure.

I'm pretty sure footballers love the pressure, that is why they get into it. He could still possibly win Champions League/Premier League/Euros medals. Or he could get yet more money. I'm sure his family and close friends are already comfortabley off. 

And they are just the footballing reasons too, before considering the moral concerns vs yet more money.

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I'm pretty sure footballers love the pressure, that is why they get into it. He could still possibly win Champions League/Premier League/Euros medals. Or he could get yet more money. I'm sure his family and close friends are already comfortabley off. 

And they are just the footballing reasons too, before considering the moral concerns vs yet more money.

There is also the pressure they feel when seating on top of a fat wallet. I would have thought that this lovely feeling eases the moral concerns. Short career and all that

20 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

Is there anyone content with the money they have and wouldn't like more?

Our lives are based around earning money, be it shoplifting to fund drug habits or investments to ensure your kids never go without.

We're all hard wired to get as much money as we can, it's the ultimate life goal.

Whilst us peasants in comparison would claim to be content with a year of Mbappe's salary, it wouldn't be long until the boredom of sitting in Wetherspoons led to a business idea to go create more money.

Mbappe probably can't believe his luck right now, one of the biggest clubs in the world want him on a free transfer, which means a whopping signing on fee.

PSG threaten to sell him now so they can recoup some money, but wait, any deal would require Mbappe's signature which leaves PSG pretty powerless other than to threaten him with a year out the game training with the kids.

All this goes down whilst the Saudi's have decided this year they take over football. 

Here you are lad, come here play for a year, we'll give you a trillionsquillionmillion, treat you like a king, then you can go cash in at Real Madrid as well and go win your trophies.

He would be an absolute fool not to accept that.

Henderson, slightly different. The only trophy he has left to win at Liverpool is the Europa League.

He's 33 years old, not a regular starter, no longer a player in his prime that would be abandoning the club in the pursuit for more money.

What he's said over the years, who cares, will Bob, Rita and Sue's abuse on Twitter for being an hypocrite change what he's achieved? Nah.

I would not like to see a 21 year old that is yet to win a trophy, sign a 6 year deal for a Saudi club over a Premier League team just for the money.

Yet at the same time, I wouldn't blame them for a second for doing it.

For any Saudi's reading, I'm also available to run a forum for any of your clubs, happy to live in one of your palaces and go alcohol free for just £10m.

12 minutes ago, David said:

Our lives are based around earning money, be it shoplifting to fund drug habits or investments to ensure your kids never go without.

We're all hard wired to get as much money as we can, it's the ultimate life goal.

Whilst us peasants in comparison would claim to be content with a year of Mbappe's salary, it wouldn't be long until the boredom of sitting in Wetherspoons led to a business idea to go create more money.

Mbappe probably can't believe his luck right now, one of the biggest clubs in the world want him on a free transfer, which means a whopping signing on fee.

PSG threaten to sell him now so they can recoup some money, but wait, any deal would require Mbappe's signature which leaves PSG pretty powerless other than to threaten him with a year out the game training with the kids.

All this goes down whilst the Saudi's have decided this year they take over football. 

Here you are lad, come here play for a year, we'll give you a trillionsquillionmillion, treat you like a king, then you can go cash in at Real Madrid as well and go win your trophies.

Henderson, slightly different. The only trophy he has left to win at Liverpool is the Europa League.

He's 33 years old, not a regular starter, no longer a player in his prime that would be abandoning the club in the pursuit for more money.

What he's said over the years, who cares, will Bob, Rita and Sue's abuse on Twitter for being an hypocrite change what he's achieved? Nah.

I would not like to see a 21 year old that is yet to win a trophy, sign a 6 year deal for a Saudi club over a Premier League team just for the money.

For any Saudi's reading, I'm also available to run a forum for any of your clubs, happy to live in one of your palaces and go alcohol free for just £10m.

We are absolutely not all hardwired to get as much money as we can.

Anyone tempted by the Saudi money will have to balance the money with the consequences of living there, be it on their lifestyles, their family's happiness, their moral compass, the nature of the regime etc etc etc.

If the money comes out on top, so be it but it won't be because they are 'hardwired' to grab as much as possible.

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

I’m hearing lots of people getting in their high horse about it. The fact is, unless you’re some sort of monk who has sworn off the material trappings of life, if a Saudi arab came and offered you 5x your wage to do the same job but easier for a year or two now, You would be seriously thinking about it.

move heard so much about this in the radio recently, I’ve been seriously looking to see how much I’d get paid for my job out there. Turns out, not as much as a footballer. 

13 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

We are absolutely not all hardwired to get as much money as we can.

Anyone tempted by the Saudi money will have to balance the money with the consequences of living there, be it on their lifestyles, their family's happiness, their moral compass, the nature of the regime etc etc etc.

If the money comes out on top, so be it but it won't be because they are 'hardwired' to grab as much as possible.

So if I was to offer you £1m a year to do your current job but out in Saudi Arabia, would you take it, knowing that 2 or 3 years work would mean never working again?

9 minutes ago, David said:

So if I was to offer you £1m a year to do your current job but out in Saudi Arabia, would you take it, knowing that 2 or 3 years work would mean never working again?

May have already been said, sorry if so, but this is not a fair comparison because elite footballers of the type going to Saudi Arabia are already set for life, free from toil if they choose. Most of us are not. 

Also, there is always more than one motivation for anything we choose to do.

1 hour ago, Andrew3000 said:

May have already been said, sorry if so, but this is not a fair comparison because elite footballers of the type going to Saudi Arabia are already set for life, free from toil if they choose. Most of us are not. 

Also, there is always more than one motivation for anything we choose to do.

It's not that different, they were like us before they were not born multi millionaires, many will have grown up in modest backgrounds.

I bet we have some well off members on here, drive nice cars, big house, 3 holidays a year, kids uni funds sorted and still would jump to another job for an extra 10k a year.

We're all here and would like to survive in the most comfortable way possible.

The more money you have, the bigger the toys, toys such as Football Clubs where your David Clowes can afford to lose X million without sacrificing his salmon breakfast.

1 hour ago, David said:

I wouldn't go to Saudi Arabia under any circumstances.

However, at a theoretical level, if I already had £1m, no, I wouldn't go. Might consider it if I didn't have the money, didn't have family, wanted to look my friends in the eye and so on.

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

I wouldn't go to Saudi Arabia under any circumstances.

However, at a theoretical level, if I already had £1m, no, I wouldn't go. Might consider it if I didn't have the money, didn't have family, wanted to look my friends in the eye and so on.

Fair play I guess, many would take it. Plenty of ex pats out there banking the money.

Morally you can question several countries, including ourselves, we all have our own levels. I can't sit here and begrudge them taking it, knowing I would go out there for 3 years if it meant I could come back minted.

39 minutes ago, David said:

Fair play I guess, many would take it. Plenty of ex pats out there banking the money.

Morally you can question several countries, including ourselves, we all have our own levels. I can't sit here and begrudge them taking it, knowing I would go out there for 3 years if it meant I could come back minted.

My Brother in law worked out there for a while, my sister hated it, even the western women were hit with sticks if they didn’t cover their face. He also worked in Dubai which was much better and my sister loved it.

They made enough money to buy a big house in Keyworth with Frank Clarke as a neighbour.

3 hours ago, David said:

There's one issue with this; it's just not true. We aren't hardwired to gain as much money as we can, and it certainly is not everyone's primary life goal. I'm not sure who you spend time around or how many people you know, but basic observation of human behaviour demonstrates this is simply incorrect. You oftentimes say this forum isn't about accumulating money and even costs you money to run, if acquiring resources is your hardwired primary motivation then why do you run it? It wouldn't make any sense unless we aren't hardwired to simply accrue capital and instead desire other things as well. 

Additionally, money is a socio-political construction, not a biological imperative, unlike food or sex. There may be an argument to say many of us strive to acquire additional resources until we become comfortable and even desirable to others, but there is also a law of diminishing returns i.e., once you acquire a sufficient amount the desire to keep accumulating generally weakens, and other factors come into play. There are plenty of examples of people selling businesses or taking early retirement once they feel they have enough to be comfortable. I know a fair few people who are exchanging bonuses or pay raises for additional time off work. 

Mbappe would be an idiot to take the offer. He doesn't need the money and at this stage in his career taking a year out is a massive hit professionally no matter how you try and spin it. He'll earn all the money he'll ever need at both PSG, Real Madrid, and other sponsorships.