Saudi Retirement Home

Day

9 hours ago, Kernow said:

If that’s the genuine offer, then I struggle to see how any involved can reject it. Mbappe. Insane amounts of money, Mbappe ends up at Madrid anyway, PSG avoid any FFP sanctions and Saudi soaks up the financial burden whilst getting a one year reputation boost for the league.

Mbappe has won everything except for the Champions League, which probably won’t happen until he goes to Real Madrid anyway.

More money than sense has never been so appropriate for the Saudis.

Mbappe and his family who advise him are very smart. If they accept the offer I have no doubt that they will be seeing a way out to a big European club shortly after the move to Saudi kingdom

I know he didn’t go to Saudi, but Zaha signing for Galatasaray is weird.

More weird considering Galatasaray have announced he will be earning an annual fee of £3.75m which is less than £80k per week.

In today’s game, that isn’t a lot for a player of his calibre. Palace even offered him a new £200k per week deal.

Something seems odd with this. Why Galatasaray for less than half of what he could earn in the PL? Why Turkey? Not like he has any ties there.

5 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Either that or they'll buy their way into the Champions League. I bet they'll do everything they can to take over the sport.

It doesn't matter how much money they spend, Europe will always be the home of football. Football is nothing without the fans.

1 hour ago, Rammy03 said:

It doesn't matter how much money they spend, Europe will always be the home of football. Football is nothing without the fans.

The EFL was the home of English football. Soon forgotten when the cash was slapped on the table by Murdoch when he needed a selling point to get Sky up and running.

The Saudis aren't pissing about and might upset things for the UEFA 'elite'. I hope they do. Football has become very ugly with the influence of money, why not go all in and see how grotesque it can get.

17 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I can’t understand why the Saudi’s would do that just to have Mbappe for one year? Are they really that wealthy that $1bn (fee + wages) is just chump change for them?

Sounds insane, but the more I think about it, if having Mbappe even for just a year is the catalyst that eventually 5 or 10 years down the line gives them a league to rival the premier league, how much is that worth to the overall economy? Is that ultimate prize worth the gamble?

Which then makes me wonder about the existential crisis. What is Saudi do succeed? The premier league is a significant chunk of the British economy. If Saudi Arabia becomes the number one league, is that eventually going to have knock on effects for the British economy, and ultimately the lives of every day citizens?

4 hours ago, Needlesh said:

The EFL was the home of English football. Soon forgotten when the cash was slapped on the table by Murdoch when he needed a selling point to get Sky up and running.

The Saudis aren't pissing about and might upset things for the UEFA 'elite'. I hope they do. Football has become very ugly with the influence of money, why not go all in and see how grotesque it can get.

I reckon the super league will happen at some point. We’ve seen what the Saudis have done with golf. They’ll just buy all the leagues eventually and then do what they want. 

I really hope they do now. I can see a major split in football on the horizon, like rugby league and rugby union. I’m not sure what players would choose to play for a less glamorous club with wage caps, when they have the chance of playing around the world for unlimited money. But I imagine it’ll end up something like everything from league 1 down becomes it’s own league, winning league one means you’ve won the football league. And everything else is a feeder for the super league.

quality will be kack, all the best players will play in the super league, but it’ll be purer football.

At this point, I wouldn’t be too disappointed if we stay in league one forever, and let the rest of football implode around us. 

11 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I reckon the super league will happen at some point. We’ve seen what the Saudis have done with golf. They’ll just buy all the leagues eventually and then do what they want. 

I really hope they do now. I can see a major split in football on the horizon, like rugby league and rugby union. I’m not sure what players would choose to play for a less glamorous club with wage caps, when they have the chance of playing around the world for unlimited money. But I imagine it’ll end up something like everything from league 1 down becomes it’s own league, winning league one means you’ve won the football league. And everything else is a feeder for the super league.

quality will be kack, all the best players will play in the super league, but it’ll be purer football.

At this point, I wouldn’t be too disappointed if we stay in league one forever, and let the rest of football implode around us. 

If you think there will be feeder options for any Super League I don't really think you can have been paying much attention. When that gets up and going, and it will, it will be a complete closed shop; invitation only.

29 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

If you think there will be feeder options for any Super League I don't really think you can have been paying much attention. When that gets up and going, and it will, it will be a complete closed shop; invitation only.

Fair point. So everyone from half way up the premier league downwards becomes the new English football league.

i can see a súper league consisting of more than the 10 or so clubs that were originally pencilled in for it though. It’ll be open for any club that can buy their way in basically. Ie I’m sure Newcastle would be part of those talks now. In fact, it’s probably more accurate to think of it as a middle eastern super league, not a European super league, made up of mostly Arabian owned clubs from around the world.

I find it ironic that, for all the success that the likes of Man City have managed to buy their way to, ultimately the money will kill their club for all intents and purposes. They’ll be in a super league franchise and the old Man City won’t really exist any more.

then you’ll have this super league, where eh very best players can go play for mega bucks, and you’ll have the domestic league where the b list players could play, and we’d have a much better chance of imposing spends caps, wage caps, etc. and bring the financial side under control domestically.